Thump's 14' WRX Hatch (Pics)
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Thump's 14' WRX Hatch (Pics) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When I set out to begin building up my Subie, I told myself I wanted to preserve the stock look ...

Thump's 14' WRX Hatch (Pics)

When I set out to begin building up my Subie, I told myself I wanted to preserve the stock look of the car as much as possible. Although I love the look of a tastfully modified exterior. I prefer to fly as under the radar as possible. So while my car may look rather boring from the outside; it's what's under the hood that counts

Interior/Exterior
    Kartboy Short Shifter

Suspension
    Eibach Front and Rear Adjustable Sway Bars

Engine/Exhaust/Etc...
    -Process West Verticooler
    -Cobb XLE BPV
    -AEM Cold Air Intake
    -Perrin Catback Exhaust
    -Tsuduo Catless Downpipe
    -Cobb Up-Pipe
    -44MM Tial EWG with Recirc. Conversion
    -GrimmSpeed Lightweight Pulley
    -DeatschWerks DW65c Fuel Pump
    -Cobb 1000cc Fuel Injectors
    -Cobb Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
    -Cobb V3 Accessport
    -Tuned for 91 and E85
    -I may have missed something but I'm preeety sure that's everything

Results All taken from Mustang Dyno
    331hp/351wtq @18.5psi on pump gas
    372hp/424wtq @21.5psi on E85

What's Next?
    Suggestions please! I am thinking about slowly building the motor, before an aftermarket turbo. However, I would love some suggestions/opinions on where I should go from here

Here's a few Pictures:

First is of course the car itself (boriiing)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8123.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	167.1 KB 
ID:	210585

Here's my last dyno reading from when I converted to E85

Name:	Scan copy.jpg 
Size:	119.2 KB 
ID:	210577

Here's my before and after attempts to suppress the dump sound from the EWG

-First I tried welding on a mini-muffler, while this helped a little, it was far from what I was expecting

Name:	IMG_7741.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	88.6 KB 
ID:	210545

-Ultimately I opted to go with a Recirculating setup which eliminated the wastegate dump completely

Name:	IMG_8126.jpg 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	210553

I was pretty pumped to make it onto CobbSocal's IG page

Name:	IMG_8155 copy.jpg 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	210561

Lastly, a Pic of the Verticooler which is hands down my favorite modification on the car

Name:	image3.JPG 
Size:	126.8 KB 
ID:	210569

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I love the stock look. And that despite having a beast under the hood you went with one of the quieter catbacks. I think this is my plan as well; I want a little bit of rumble over stock exhaust but I don't like drawing attention.

Looks like you've been running the E85 for 4 months now? How are you liking that setup?

Are you located in SoCal or did you make the trip for the Cobb shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    I love the stock look. And that despite having a beast under the hood you went with one of the quieter catbacks. I think this is my plan as well; I want a little bit of rumble over stock exhaust but I don't like drawing attention.

Looks like you've been running the E85 for 4 months now? How are you liking that setup?

Are you located in SoCal or did you make the trip for the Cobb shop?
    -Perrin is defiately one of the most quiet exhausts out there, when I ran a catted downpipe the exhaust wasn't even audible with the windows up. However, I am now running a catless downpipe so it's a bit louder but no where near uncomfortable, I can still listen to music with the windows down just fine. Oh and it has zero drone on the highway and I love that!

-I switched back to pump a couple months ago before a road trip. Once it starts cooling down a bit, I'll go back to e85. Pros of E85: its cheap, and the difference in power between it and pump is outrageous. It feels like a whole new car on E85. The Cons: between the fuel itself and bigger injectors, I was filling up twice a week, and had just awful gas milage. Also the closest flex fuel station is 20 miles for me, so it's not nearly as conveient as pump. Despite the cons, I am so glad I have the option to run it, because it's truly night and day versus pump gas.

-I live in LA so I make the commute down to fountain valley to Cobb's shop

I Support ClubWRX
    nice build man, I love it! verticooler looks clean AF.

sub'd
    My Build Thread - "Scrappy Doo" 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-hatch.html

"We're far from having too much horsepower...my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear."

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch822 View Post
    nice build man, I love it! verticooler looks clean AF.

sub'd
    Thank you, thank you

Very nice car. Mine is like a mini version of yours...

What's the process of dealing e85 to pump and back? Reflash and gtfo or more to it?

And what's the diameter on your sways? Stiffest setting? Significant body roll reduction from stock? And did you upgrade end links too?

My suggestions for future (since your asked in OP) would be greater suspension improvements since it seems like pay is walk taken care of.

Subscribed this thread, really stoked about your setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zataks View Post
    What's the process of dealing e85 to pump and back? Reflash and gtfo or more to it?

And what's the diameter on your sways? Stiffest setting? Significant body roll reduction from stock? And did you upgrade end links too?

My suggestions for future (since your asked in OP) would be greater suspension improvements since it seems like pay is walk taken care of.

Subscribed this thread, really stoked about your setup.
    1. Switching B/W E85 to 91 & vice versa had me nervous at first so I called my tuner. These are the steps I follow when I switch between them and have had no problems
    - Run your tank till the E light comes on, try and drive at least another 20 miles past that, you want to get as much gas out as physically possible. Some people run the car till it dies and carry a canister, I prefer not to do that. So once you've pretty much taken it as far down as you can, go to the pump. Turn your car off, then load the 85 or 91 map (make sure not to start your car) just to power the AP. Once the new map is loaded turn the car back to the full off position, fill your tank with like 5 gallons or so.*This is the important part* Turn your car on, then wait at least 10 minutes just idling, I wait 20 just to ensure all that extra gas is out of the lines. After that just drive very conservatively for that first tank, no hard pulls, full boost etc...after that you should be good. I've done it a few times and had no issues.

2. For my Sways I run front 25mm and rear 22mm with upgraded kartboy end links. I set the front to soft and the rear to firm and I love it! There is a significant difference in body roll reduction compared to stock. For anyone who enjoys spirited drives in the canyons or tearing through tight corners, these are a must. I can't even begin to express the difference versus stock, it's night and day. In my opinion before getting any other suspension modifications, get sway bars, you may find that they are all you really need.

3. I have defiantly thought about upgrading my suspension. I've opted to stay away from coilovers at least as long as it stays my daily driver. I had coilovers on my previous car and it just made daily driving so unpleasant. Eventually, I am going to pick up a set of Swift springs, as I've read that they maintain ride quality closest to stock. But I'll just shout out my Eibach front and rear sway bars one more time. My friend has racecomp lowering springs on his subie (which are nice springs) but stock sway bars, and he can't handle corners nearly as well as I can even on stock springs. I swear I'm not an Eibach rep, but they are defiantly in my top 3 favorite modifications that I've done. I'll post the link to them on rally sport, the kit is like $370 but worth every penny. I don't think there is one bad review for them.

Eibach Sway Bar Kit Front Adjustable 25mm / Rear Adjustable 22mm Subaru STI 2008-2014 / WRX 2011-2014 / Forester XT 2009-2013 7718.320 at RallySportDirect.com

I just wanted to add a little video I made on my GoPro of how my exhaust set-up sounds. Be sure to set the video to 480p for the best quality
    Last edited by thump88; 07-18-2015 at 12:55 AM.

Thanks for the info Thump!

After reading your response I read a lot of reviews about the Eibach sways (and little for the springs too) and did not read a single bad review. There were a couple less than stellar reviews but those seemed mostly to be by people trying to reuse the OEM end links.

It's odd that there doesn't seem to be that much talk of Eibach in the WRX community. At least not much that I've seen anyway. The aftermarket springs I put on my Toyota were Eibach rebranded as TRD and I felt they were fantastic.

I had the opportunity yesterday to push the car a lot harder than I normally do and found to an even greater extent that, at this point, I want to upgrade the suspension more than the power. I came from a I4 with 163hp stock to this WRX and have, what feels to be, a very comfy Stage 1 tune. I had more than enough power yesterday but found myself incredibly uncomfortable with the slop in the suspension. No wonder so many people feel the 15MY is so much better. Tightening up the handling makes it feel incredibly different.

I've been reluctant to touch anything on the car because it's felt so amazing to me but now I'm finding where I need to 'tune'.

Anyway, sorry for meandering there.

Thanks for the vid! Love the exhaust!

Those Eibach sway bars were actually the first modification I made to the car before anything else. I was the same way at first too. My thoughts were it's primarily a daily driver, and I'm only able to make it out to the canyons on the weekend, so why dump a bunch of money into performance modifications, especially since they will kill my gas mileage. I've always said car parts are like tattoos, every time you get one, you say it's the last one but it never is. After about a month I felt like I wanted a little more sound out of my car, so I bought a catback exhaust...it was all downhill from there. That's great that you are satisfied with the power your car is producing. Just be careful, one modification will lead to another, and before you know it, you'll be prowling forums and Craigslist daily, hunting for deals so that you don't have to pay full price for your next part haha. I am going to do some research for suspension solutions as I'm finding myself needing a little more control to balance out the additional power. From what I've read for those trying to avoid coilovers, a very good solution is a solid set of springs (I'll be picking up some Swift springs soon), front and rear sways, and a strut bar tower. That's relatively inexpensive, and seems like a pretty good solution. Eventually I'll spring for some coilovers, but for as long as I am spending 30+ minutes in the car every day, I want to keep my ride relatively comfy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.