I need help with my rally car build!!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on I need help with my rally car build!! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm in the process of building a full blown rally car but I have a few questions. let me start ...

I need help with my rally car build!!

I'm in the process of building a full blown rally car but I have a few questions.
    let me start by saying money is NOT an issue!! Also, this is going to a personal rig. I am not going to be competing and if I decide later on down the road I want to I will build a second car. So first:

What would be a good hp to shoot for? 400? 500?

my sequential transmission can only hold 800nm which is roughly 575 ft/lbs of torque but I can push it to a 1000nm which is 757ft/lbs . So how do I create more torque?

I want to push my car to the max, so if you have anything els you want to add in go for it!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Is this a joke? With which team do you race?

If you are building a rally car, you should be following the rules for the build. Coming in here and asking "what hp should I target?" simply means you have no clue. Additionally, you should be considering a different and more modern platform than a Subaru.

Alternatively, since the question has been posed, you should look at purchasing a used Rally Car that is already built to a specific group classification.

Here is a good place to start: http://www.rallyclassified.com/.

Good luck.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Well first, I am not on a team. I am not going to be competing. This is build is simply for fun. I don't need to be following rules if it's just going to be played with in my backyard. 3000 acres of trails to be exact.also I am NOT going to be buying someone else's car when I can build my own. I was simply just looking for some help

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Well then you aren't building a rally car. You may prefer to ask questions like:
    I'd like to take my car on spirited drives, what mods do you suggest?

It's a point of irritation with some of us to hear people exclaiming that their $35k STi is somehow equivalent to a $500k WRC car. For your reference, WRC cars produce around 300bhp with standard restrictor plates and around 450 lb-ft of torque.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Contributes Nothing ShiftingLanes's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Follow me on Social Media: (my car, ramblings, vlogs, diys, snowboarding, pretty much anything)

Instagram: stock_ish
    Twitter: @stockish
    Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmK...3aaHn_euLcpg-A

I Support ClubWRX
    All you need is rally armor mud flaps, and some stickers, lots of stickers.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    There is no useful info here. Your gearbox costs more than a new road Impreza. Sorry and good luck. /thread.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by subaru fanatic View Post
    I'm in the process of building a full blown rally car but I have a few questions.
    let me start by saying money is NOT an issue!! Also, this is going to a personal rig. I am not going to be competing and if I decide later on down the road I want to I will build a second car. So first:

What would be a good hp to shoot for? 400? 500?
    Money is more of an issue than you think. If you are building a WRC car, your investment would have been better spent on a Ferrari, or a Porsche, or saved because your half way to the price of a Bugatti. Any of those are a better chose as they perform way better on the street or track.

There are tons of engine builders out there, Cosworth comes to mind if your just wasting money. You can contact any reputable shop and they will set you up. Try Turn in Concepts in Cincinnati. Just keep in mind the more HP the more often your going to be rebuilding your engine, this isn't a one time investment. If you are looking for WRC legal, then your stuck with 300hp, you'll probably have to restrict down the current engine in the STI because it is too powerful. You'll also have to build a 2.0l engine if I'm not mistaken. So the entire engine in your brand new STI can just go into the garbage, or you can sell it off.

You'll have to completely gut the car, have a cage built, racing seats, harness, steering wheel, an entirely redesigned suspesnion, drivetrain, etc, etc, etc. Also, don't plan on it being street legal. Most WRC cars are "Street Legal". There are some classes where they are required to pass all inspection in the state where they are registered and must be truly street legal. Essentially, after your "rally car build" the car isn't going to be comfortable or fun to drive anywhere but a rally stage or rally cross course.

my sequential transmission can only hold 800nm which is roughly 575 ft/lbs of torque but I can push it to a 1000nm which is 757ft/lbs . So how do I create more torque?
    Your engine builder will take care of that answer. I'm sure it'll have to be highly modified to work with the subaru AWD system, or you are going to loose your awd.

I want to push my car to the max, so if you have anything els you want to add in go for it!
    Basically, you just want to put a ton of hp into a street car. Go call cosworth, I think they have blocks capable of putting out 800+hp. I know Turn in Concepts have some great engines that put out massive HP as well.

If you are actually in the mindset you are going to build a WRC car and drive it day to day, no one can help you. That is a 500k+ dollar investment, that will just keep growing as they are not exactly reliable in a daily driven way. You would be honestly way better off buying a GT3 RS or something as everything about that car is designed from the ground up to be a sports car you can drive on the street.

Sub'd for the beast
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 WRX Surgeline Stage 2 Pro Tune
    Journal-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    Brain Blast!

My build: Minimal. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...han-never.html

2014 ISM Hatch (His)
    2015 CWP Premium (Hers)

Y'all are stuck on wrc being the definition of a rally car and i think everyone is missing OP's goals.
    hes not looking to compete, hes not looking to build a wrc car for the street. he wants to build a car to thrash for pure enjoyment off pavement.

this place is turning in to nasioc....

OP, get with a good engine builder, 400hp+ is a lot in these cars. build what you want and what you can afford... enjoy it, and try not to hit any trees
    2006 San Remo Red WRX Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm a member on NASIOC. I don't think they use sequential gearboxes on fun builds either...
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I'm a member on NASIOC. I don't think they use sequential gearboxes on fun builds either...
    if i had stupid amounts of money, i would.... hell, if i could, id build my own version of the mustang from the latest gymkana
    2006 San Remo Red WRX Stage 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd pay people to carry me. In any case the OP has lots of money. This thread won't help him IMO, it's beyond the scope.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.