Lucore Automotive 2004 Sportwagon build up
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lucore Automotive 2004 Sportwagon build up within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About a month or so ago, as the Project Frankenwagen hit a slow point due to parts delays we decided ...

Lucore Automotive 2004 Sportwagon build up

About a month or so ago, as the Project Frankenwagen hit a slow point due to parts delays we decided to pick up another ride to work on so here's what we found!

A little back story, this car was one of those "ran when parked" stories that almost never turn out to be true. Body is in pretty solid shape, interior is nice, its in the correct color and style but the engine wouldn't turn over. After sitting for a year due to the owner not having the time/money/energy to fix it we took a gamble yanked it out of the garage and onto the flat bed.

That evening after a short dinner/beers break we returned to the shop and decided to take a look at what we had purchased. One thing lead to another and the front end came off, engine came out, and the inspection began.

Unfortunately at this point we begin to notice a few things. The left front corner rides low, discover a snapped coil spring and destroyed strut. Also in this corner we find a badly mangled intercool pipe, the bracket holding the massive FMIC also is bent...along with the FMIC..

So with the engine removed she goes on the back burner for a bit as we assess damage and start a build list. Tear down info coming in the next post!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In for 2.1L stroker build!!!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    The forced perspective in the bottom picture makes the normal engine look absolutely immense, larger than the entire nose of the car. Reminded me of a marine or aero engine.

Should be a neat project to follow.

I'd wear closed toe shoes in that environment, BTW.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Lol yea the hippie sandals are not shop appropriate, it was about 1am when that photo was taken and we were about to head out, though, and he has been reprimanded

I Support ClubWRX
    Flower power! Peace! Good luck with the build, in all seriousness, and I'll enjoy the updates.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    In for 2.1L stroker build!!!

Great to see this wagon given a new life instead of rotting away!
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

Can't wait to see this build. Good luck and thanks for saving it from a crusher!
    2014 DGM Sedan

Stink Eye Mob #228

In all honesty if we hadn't picked it up, had a casual wrencher gotten a hold of this it would have been parted out and sent off to that dusty rally cloud in the sky. Figuring the work we have been putting into this little challenge were someone paying us hourly... you'd have yourself one HELL of a repair build.

Labors of love though right? Once we get her done and broken in she will definitely make some lucky customer very happy.

This one will be for sale once we finish it, basically going to be a brand new 2004 Sport Wagon when we are done with it. Some of what was on it is salvageable, much of it was not.

The stock clutch and flywheel were so badly ragged that they were literally FUSED together which was an interesting problem to overcome. Once we dropped the oil pan out of the thing we were greeted with ..

In case you were curious no we didn't have the special "Sparkles Added" oil in the car, that's what remains of the rods, bearings, turbo internals...

Three of the 4 rods/bearings were so far gone/destroyed/warped/farked that we had to literally BEAT them off the crank shaft.

And or course as per typical when you blow up a Subaru..

So, in summary bottom end destroyed, top end not doing well, all sorts of chunky metal bits floating around and/or missing, intercooler and pipes broken, brakes nearly fused, suspension snapped... got our work cut out for us for sure!

Well.. heads block and all the fun stuff off went off to the machine shop to get reworked. Parts orders have been placed and beginning to make a pile for rebuild time!

Stay tuned for lots of updates!
    Last edited by LucoreRacing; 06-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your photo of the underside of the engine with the sump removed is valuable to the forum though. Recently, a member asked if he could access the big ends from under the engine, and from memory I'd guessed that all but one would be accessible -- but the one would really be completely impractical. It looks like memory served me well.

In fact now that I think about it I wonder if there is a way for me to forget things I don't want to remember rather than worrying about things I've forgotten that I do remember.

Nice piston rings.

Almost anything on these cars we prefer to drop the engine out to work on. There are a lot "can do" but you will break a lot of knuckles and do a lot of cursing. In all honesty you can easily take a motor out of one of these in 2 hours or less, also why we try to do everything in one shot versus a little now and a little later.

Photos of progress today will be posted shortly!

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Your photo of the underside of the engine with the sump removed is valuable to the forum though. Recently, a member asked if he could access the big ends from under the engine, and from memory I'd guessed that all but one would be accessible -- but the one would really be completely impractical. It looks like memory served me well.

In fact now that I think about it I wonder if there is a way for me to forget things I don't want to remember rather than worrying about things I've forgotten that I do remember.

Nice piston rings.
    Only the asymmetric rod ends used in the FA20F and the EZ36 can be fully accessed from the sump. You really do have to split the block to service the EJ.

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Facebook me here

Parts ordering is always such fun, waiting on everything to arrive and pile up like Christmas!

Last edited by zax; 06-10-2015 at 12:19 PM.

zax
    I just tried cleaning up your image link and it didn't work. Might want to check your link

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.