Grease's Winging It Wagon
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Grease's Winging It Wagon within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So, I decided to buy a car that many of you are probably familiar with, http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html . As a coworker ...

Grease's Winging It Wagon

So, I decided to buy a car that many of you are probably familiar with, Zax Bugeye "Shaggin' wagon" Build thread.

As a coworker and friend of Zax, I originally wanted to buy the car with the intention of using it as a donor for a Factory Five 818S build. But now that I've got it, I think I will enjoy the WRX for the foreseeable future. The car is simply too much fun to drive and I can't bring myself to cut her up anytime soon.

I will be chronicling my frustration and lack of patience here as I attempt to keep this car road worthy. I also plan on improving various aspects of the car because those Subaru engineers don't know what they are doing. What improvements you ask? Well I have no idea because this is a new platform for me and I have no plan. The car has a healthy mod list already, but I think some autocross friendly suspension upgrades are on the horizon.

Here is how she is looking at the moment.

Engine Modifications:
    Grimmspeed ceramic-coated Uppipe
    Cobb catted downpipe (heat wrapped)
    Cobb catback exhaust
    Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
    Heat-wrapped headers
    You need to buy a Tactrix OP2.0!!!
    Pitch Stop Mount
    Grimmspeed MBC Hybrid boost control set to 21 PSI peak
    Injector Dynamics 1000cc Injectors
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    AEM Dry-flow filter and Corksport 73mm BigMAF
    AEM UEGO WBO2 SensorGates Timing Belt Kit & Water pump
    Mishimoto aluminum 2-core replacement radiator
    Samco turbo inlet

Suspension/Steering Modifications:
    Perrin 22mm FSB (stiff setting)
    Perrin 22mm RSB (middle setting)
    Perrin Endlinks
    Perrin Stout Mounts
    TIC Clunk-killer kit
    TIC Rear Diff lockdown bolts
    Ebay STi (knockoff) front and rear strut tower bars
    Custom Alignment -- -1.1 deg front camber, 0 toe, stock caster, -1.05 deg rear camber

Transmission Modifications:
    Perrin shifter bushings
    Subaru OEM Short Shifter
    Group-N Transmission Mount
    IXIZ concept clutch-stop

Wheel/Brake Modifications:
    OZ Ultraleggera 17x8 +48 wheels (Summer wheels)
    Stoptech SS brake lines (front and rear)
    Motul RBF600 fluid
    Prodrive 330mm Brake Calipers & Rotors (front)
    H6 rear rotor upgrade painted silver to match the fronts
    Flapatax mudflaps (Hate away MFers)

Interior
    Subaru Ti shift knob
    Pioneer AVIC F700BT HU
    Ultra-wide rearview mirror (life-saver in MD traffic)
    Cobra something-or-other radar detector w/ gps hardwired
    ATI Clock Gaugepod
    AEM UEGO Digital AFV gauge
    Prosport Oil Pressure gauge
    Prosport Oil Temperature gauge
    Last edited by zax; 05-15-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Current Stable:
    2003 Midnight Black Pearl WRX Wagon, Build Thread
    2006 GTO, 6.0 LS2 Phantom Black Metallic, Supercharged to ~520RWHP
    2011 Mustang, 3.7 V6, Grabber Blue
    2014 Mazda6, Soul Red

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Project one. Time to get the car through MD safety inspection so that we can transfer ownership to me. Since I don’t know a ‘guy’, we decide to take her to a local chain near work to have the inspection done. Sure the car has some mods on it, but it is driving great with no CEL. What could go wrong?...

...And it failed with flying colors.

• Tires are showing metal on the inside. No big deal, we both knew going in that the car needed tires and that was factored in to the car price. Let’s get some new summer UHPs.

• No cats. Fair enough. I was worried about this one so I’m not surprised. Time to put the factory downpipe on and retune.

• The front passenger ball joint is toast. Well the car has 115XXX miles on it. I guess these things are past due anyway.

• The rear passenger strut. The thing is leaking and showing signs of death. Damnit, I wasn’t prepared for this car to become a time consuming project. But I’ve got the harbor freight spring compressors, the true Russian Roulette of tools. I’ll have a one in six chance of severely injuring myself replacing those.

• The rear seat belts. Huh? Apparently having a box on the back seat made it impossible for the tech to verify the functionality. It was at this point I knew we had taken the car to the wrong shop.

• The front brakes are too thin. This car has a nice Prodrive BBK on it. Don’t you tell me it needs brakes. I guarantee these rotors have more meat left on them the combined thickness of the first 5 cars you pick parked at a WalMart combined.

• Holes in the rear quarters. How does this affect safety? Like most Subarus this age, it has rust cancer where the bumper meets the quarter.

• Rust in the radiator support. WTF.

After the diagnosis, Zax decided that we should dump the thing at Carmax and move on with our lives. But since I was emotionally invested at this point, I convinced him would be in both of our best interests if we perform the repairs.

It will be worth it I said. It will be fun I said.
    Last edited by grease; 05-20-2015 at 01:14 PM.

Current Stable:
    2014 Mazda6, Soul Red

I get the car home and put it up on jackstands for evaluation.

Also it's a good time for a compressor. Here is my $99 dollar Lowes clearance special. Yes it's an oiless type. Yes the CFM is crap. Yes it's loud. But it was $99. I believe that Lowes has since rebranded this one as a Kobalt and no longer carries it under the Blue Hawk label FWIW. Specs look eerily similar on the web with some refresh to the molded upper covers. Looks like they also went from an induction motor to a universal motor according to the website which doesn't bode well for quality, but I digress.

After sitting in a sealed garage for a day, I notice the car smells like the Deepwater Horizon. Hmmmmmm. Well this would be why. It's the smell of Rotella T6 slowly collecting on the floor.

Luckily, it turns out to be just the gasket around the oil drain bolt.

Last edited by grease; 05-20-2015 at 01:15 PM.

Current Stable:
    2014 Mazda6, Soul Red

I Support ClubWRX
    Grease Wagon, Winging It.
    The Shaggin Wagon legend continues.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Should have bought a stock WRX.

Kids these days.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly stock 2015 STi - Seeking B-Stock supremacy
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon (SOLD)

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

Kids these days.
    2006 San Remo Red WRX Stage 2

I would have, but it's impossible to find one unmolested by some yahoo physicist.

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post

Kids these days.

Current Stable:
    2014 Mazda6, Soul Red

Quote Originally Posted by grease View Post
    I would have, but it's impossible to find one unmolested by some yahoo physicist.
    get a room you two...
    2006 San Remo Red WRX Stage 2

Next, I purchased the cheapest possible pair of rear struts that I could find after scouring the web simply for getting the car through inspection. I plan on redoing everything again soon with quality components so I don’t care that they are foreign junk. Sure enough the strut identified by the shop was indeed leaking. It would not rebound after compression.

Zax and I had both both swapped out and back on the car in about an hour. With that momentum, it was on to the front ball joint.

I failed to do my homework first about the PIA that these things are. We snapped the pinch bolt almost immediately. We wrestled with it for a few more hours trying to drill out the shank on the car. We were only successful with breaking bits off over and over again.

The next day it was time for the knuckle to come off the car.

It’s a little rusty.

Current Stable:
    2014 Mazda6, Soul Red

I Support ClubWRX
    The wagon is back!
    My "Build" Thread!

2015 VW GTI

2006 WRX TR - SOLD
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

zax
    The strut was so blown that I literally pushed it in, and it never came back out

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Facebook me here

I Support ClubWRX

Yeah, when I pulled a replacement hub for my wagon it was a little rusty too lol...

I Support ClubWRX
    Holy crap, I just realized this is the shaggin wagon!! *swoons* Glad to see it's legacy is living on! Subscribed!

Project one. Time to get the car through MD safety inspection so that we can transfer ownership to me. Since I don’t know a ‘guy’, we decide to take her to a local chain near work to have the inspection done. Sure the car has some mods on it, but it is driving great with no CEL. What could go wrong?

And it failed with flying colors.

•Tires are showing metal on the inside. No big deal, we both knew going in that the car needed tires and that was factored in to the car price. Let’s get some new summer UHPs.

•No cats. Fair enough. I was worried about this one so I’m not surprised. Time to put the factory downpipe on and retune.

•The front passenger ball joint. Well the car has 115XXX miles on it. I guess these things are past due anyway.

•The rear passenger strut. The thing is leaking and showing signs of death. Uh oh, I wasn’t prepared for this car to become a time consuming project. But I’ve got the harbor freight spring compressors, the true Russian Roulette of tools. I’ll have a one in six chance of severely injuring myself replacing those.

•The rear seat belts. Huh? Apparently having a box on the back seat made it impossible for the tech to verify the functionality. It was at this point I knew we had taken the car to the wrong shop.

•The front brakes are too thin. This car has a nice Prodrive BBK on it. Don’t you tell me it needs brakes. I guarantee these rotors have more meat left on them the combined thickness of the first 5 cars you pick at a WalMart parking lot combined.

•Holes in the rear quarters. How does this affect safety? Like most Subarus this age, it has rust cancer where the bumper meets the quarter.

•Rust in the radiator support. WTF.

After the diagnosis, Zax decided that we should dump the thing at Carmax and move on with our lives. But since I was emotionally invested at this point, I convinced him would be in both of our best interests if we perform the repairs.

It will be worth it I said. It will be fun I said.
    These guys are RIP off artists, I'd gone somewhere else... Bet they offered you a "good deal" to do the work too, huh?
    Last edited by livid_wrx; 05-15-2015 at 01:30 PM.

Buy one with an auto. Most that buy one with an auto never mod them and drive like grannies. Got my current 02 wagon in 2012 with 105k and no mods thanks to having an auto.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by newyorkreload View Post
    Buy one with an auto. Most that buy one with an auto never mod them and drive like grannies. Got my current 02 wagon in 2012 with 105k and no mods thanks to having an auto.
    Then you'd have one with an auto.

That just won't do.

Facebook me here

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.