Buthter ruins a motorcar
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Buthter ruins a motorcar within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, My name's Evan, but you can call me Buthter (like "Buster" with a thpeech impediment). Historically, I've considered ...

Buthter ruins a motorcar

Hey guys,

My name's Evan, but you can call me Buthter (like "Buster" with a thpeech impediment). Historically, I've considered myself to be sort of a purist. I've always owned N/A RWD cars with manual transmissions, with the glaring exception of a miserable Hyundai Tiburon. Then last June I had a change of heart and decided that I'd try this turbo AWD thing all the hip young people are into and bought a 2008 WRX hatch. Now clearly I've hit rock bottom, ruining a perfectly good car with a variety of aftermarket parts, because racecar... er... daily driver.

I know what you're thinking - "Hey, move your stupid Subaru! You're blocking my view of that sexy Buick Rendezvous!"

Sorry.

Slugford, my rock, my inspiration.

What I've done

Powaaah
    • VF52 turbo
    • Cobb catted DP
    • FMS catback
    • Process West TMIC
    • DW65C fuel pump
    • Cobb V3 Accessport
    • Protune by Mike at Pacific Import Auto on their Mustang dyno - 296hp/337ft-lbs @20psi

Handling
    • Eibach F+R sway bars

Drivetrain
    • Kartboy STS
    • Kartboy shifter bushings
    • Cobb shift knob (Huge shoutout to Irickchad, who just threw this in when I bought the shifter/bushings from him. Seriously. What a champion.)

Interior
    • Janky AutoZone boost gauge the previous owner installed
    • Slugford, my constant companion. He's a fake slug my fiancee once pranked me with (I hate slugs). He now lives on my dash.

Exterior
    • OEM roof rack with double wide snowboard attachment (off until winter)
    • 17x8 matte black Enkei RPF1s
    • JDMFanatic taillight covers with redout brake lights and lightly smoked reverse/turn signal
    • JDMFanatic Subaru badges with flat black background and blue stars
    • 35% tint all around

Pics to come. Just don't expect them to be exciting.

Stuff waiting to be installed/applied

• RallyArmor mudflaps

Future plans

• Koni inserts
    • RCE black springs
    • Kartboy endlinks
    • SS brake lines
    • Crawford AOS
    • Exedy Stg1 clutch
    • Fairing for the roof rack

Preemptive answers to anticipated questions
    Q: Why have you only done engine mods so far? Don't you want your squishy little '08 to go around corners too?
    A: Hey now, hey. I've done sway bars. Get off my back. However, I've kind of accepted that the WRX will probably never handle as well as my former cars (RX-8 in particular). I decided to build on the car's strengths instead of trying to make an AWD hatchback handle like a sports car. The brakes are already strong enough to lock up these tires.

Q: Why no cosmetic mods? Don't you want to look fresh and perhaps also fly?
    A: Believe me, I want both of those things. I'm just scared of coming off as ricey. Plus, I kind of like looking unassuming. The 2008-2010 WRXs don't look that different than a normal Impreza. Kind of a pseudo-quasi-sleeper.

Q: Ever do track days/autocross?
    A: No, but I'd love to. Probably not with this car, though. Got an '85 Porsche 944 that I'd love to take autocrossing once it's all fixed up.
    Last edited by Buthter; 06-22-2015 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Pictographs!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I couldn't help but read the title in Clarksons voice.
    I too have a car mascot, though it's not as fun as a slug...and it has no name.
    Also, this was a good read. Good luck on finding your fresh/fly vs rice balance.
    Member of the 2015 WRX owners black sheep club
    A WRX/STI beginners Guide:
    No one can decide if an STI or WRX is right for you. Drive them and decide.
    Yes, that requires a tune...
    Read your owners manual.
    Don't drive like an idiot.

I Support ClubWRX
    "2008 WRX hatch"

Well, here's your first mistake... LOL J/K

Congrats on the purchase, I'll subscribe to see what a RWD purist does to a rally car.

For External Use Only irickchad's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That irickchad guy sure sounds nice lol.

Good luck with your build man.
    The Anti-N00b. Use "Search", YES, you need a tune. NO, you don't need a BOV. Don't try to make you car shoot fire, and change your freaking oil.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Swaybars do go a long ways. But, I think you are in for a surprise when you do springs/struts and some bushings. It won't be an RX-8, but it will be a proper sports car for sure.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    I felt like sway bars and endlinks were a definite upgrade as well but I can tell the supsension needs more work. Can't wait for proper springs and struts.

Anyway... I like the way you "ruin" a racecar/dailydriver/motorcar/toy hahah. Nice looking build. Thread needs pics though
    My Build Thread - "Scrappy Doo" 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-hatch.html

"We're far from having too much horsepower...my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear."

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostie View Post
    I couldn't help but read the title in Clarksons voice.
    TONIGHT! Richard does a thing, James does a different thing, and Buthter ruins a motorcar. Jeremy is still sacked.

Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    I'll subscribe to see what a RWD purist does to a rally car.
    Honestly, though, how many people actually build their WRX like a rally car? Most people just lower theirs a bit and put summer tires on it. It's not very original, but I'll probably do that too.

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Swaybars do go a long ways. But, I think you are in for a surprise when you do springs/struts and some bushings. It won't be an RX-8, but it will be a proper sports car for sure.
    Definitely part of the game plan. Weddings are expensive, though, so no new car parts probably for the rest of the year

Quote Originally Posted by jfisch822 View Post
    Thread needs pics though
    Here ya go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BurtReynolds5262443197_30332f480c_zps3e0a2a53.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	138.7 KB 
ID:	198857

Hope that helps. Seriously, though, I'll take a few pics this weekend. I'm just not much of a photographist.

Chad, your sig made me lol way harder than it should have. "Don't try to make your car shoot fire"... Ruin all my fun, why don'tcha?

I Support ClubWRX
    [quote\]Honestly, though, how many people actually build their WRX like a rally car? Most people just lower theirs a bit and put summer tires on it. It's not very original, but I'll probably do that too.[/quote]

Yep, you're definitely new here.

I Support ClubWRX
    'scribing for good writing and comedic value, if nothing else.
    2016 World Rally Blue STi Limited
    2015 Galaxy Blue Pearl STi Limited (destroyed by dealer)
    2015 Crystal White Pearl WRX Base (early lease return, traded up into the STi)

my instagram

Just scheduled an appt to get my windows tinted (thinking 35%) and my taillight overlays applied. Gonna look like someone who balls and calls shots in their spare time.

In other news, this made me giggle:

I want that beard.

I'm not much of a photographist, but I snapped some pics anyway. Enjoy.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.