My name's Evan, but you can call me Buthter (like "Buster" with a thpeech impediment). Historically, I've considered myself to be sort of a purist. I've always owned N/A RWD cars with manual transmissions, with the glaring exception of a miserable Hyundai Tiburon. Then last June I had a change of heart and decided that I'd try this turbo AWD thing all the hip young people are into and bought a 2008 WRX hatch. Now clearly I've hit rock bottom, ruining a perfectly good car with a variety of aftermarket parts, because racecar... er... daily driver.
I know what you're thinking - "Hey, move your stupid Subaru! You're blocking my view of that sexy Buick Rendezvous!"
Slugford, my rock, my inspiration.
What I've done
- VF52 turbo
- Cobb catted DP
- FMS catback
- Process West TMIC
- DW65C fuel pump
- Cobb V3 Accessport
- Protune by Mike at Pacific Import Auto on their Mustang dyno - 296hp/337ft-lbs @20psi
- Eibach F+R sway bars
- Kartboy STS
- Kartboy shifter bushings
- Cobb shift knob (Huge shoutout to Irickchad, who just threw this in when I bought the shifter/bushings from him. Seriously. What a champion.)
- Janky AutoZone boost gauge the previous owner installed
- Slugford, my constant companion. He's a fake slug my fiancee once pranked me with (I hate slugs). He now lives on my dash.
- OEM roof rack with double wide snowboard attachment (off until winter)
- 17x8 matte black Enkei RPF1s
- JDMFanatic taillight covers with redout brake lights and lightly smoked reverse/turn signal
- JDMFanatic Subaru badges with flat black background and blue stars
- 35% tint all around
Pics to come. Just don't expect them to be exciting.
Stuff waiting to be installed/applied
- RallyArmor mudflaps
- Koni inserts
- RCE black springs
- Kartboy endlinks
- SS brake lines
- Crawford AOS
- Exedy Stg1 clutch
- Fairing for the roof rack
Preemptive answers to anticipated questions
Q: Why have you only done engine mods so far? Don't you want your squishy little '08 to go around corners too?
A: Hey now, hey. I've done sway bars. Get off my back. However, I've kind of accepted that the WRX will probably never handle as well as my former cars (RX-8 in particular). I decided to build on the car's strengths instead of trying to make an AWD hatchback handle like a sports car. The brakes are already strong enough to lock up these tires.
Q: Why no cosmetic mods? Don't you want to look fresh and perhaps also fly?
A: Believe me, I want both of those things. I'm just scared of coming off as ricey. Plus, I kind of like looking unassuming. The 2008-2010 WRXs don't look that different than a normal Impreza. Kind of a pseudo-quasi-sleeper.
Q: Ever do track days/autocross?
A: No, but I'd love to. Probably not with this car, though. Got an '85 Porsche 944 that I'd love to take autocrossing once it's all fixed up.