building my '02 wrx, #wallabu the subaru
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on building my '02 wrx, #wallabu the subaru within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my WRX in September of last year for

,000. On the drive home I blew the head gaskets ...

building my '02 wrx, #wallabu the subaru

I bought my WRX in September of last year for $1,000. On the drive home I blew the head gaskets cause i was to cheap to rent a car hauler or pull my trailer. if only i had know the true cost of that decision
    It was involved in an accident and had minor front damage, but had damaged the hood, fender, bumper, headlight, bumper beam, bumper horns, radiator and condenser. This is my 3rd front end damaged car, usually the insurance totals them because the shops are wankers and overquote front end jobs. i don't do frame damage though.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3938.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	20.0 KB 
ID:	195657

Name:	4047.jpg 
Size:	29.9 KB 
ID:	195665

Name:	4036.jpg 
Size:	29.7 KB 
ID:	195673
    After getting it home, I took it apart and analyzed the damage and shopped for parts. While hauling it to a body shop friend, i was waved down by a guy who was a jap fanatic(has a pristine NSX, supra, rx7, and dailys a 02 evo) He first begged me to sell it, then just to work on it. I parked it at his house till i was able to find the parts from a guy who was parting out a 03 wagon that had engine trouble. I got the entire front clip plus miscellaneous engine parts for $1,000. this was most fortunate, because the parts were also the same color as my car which saved me additional cost from the body work.

Name:	4154.jpg 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	195681

Name:	4153.jpg 
Size:	32.5 KB 
ID:	195689

Name:	4157.jpg 
Size:	37.0 KB 
ID:	195697
    After getting it back from The Body shop, who straightened everything, installed the radiator ($200 ebay dual core full aluminum), headlights($200 Spec-D tuning Ebay) and all body panels, it was $800. I Like the look of the headlights, and I like projectors. I'm going to leave the stock build to my opel Click image for larger version. 

Name:	29765_401015190078_6168456_n.jpg 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	195705
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    WHEN YOU DO THE THINGS YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO DO THEM,
    THERE WILL COME A DAY WHEN YOU CAN DO THE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU WANT TO DO THEM.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

After getting it back from the shop, i relaized the head gaskets were definitely blown. I have it parked currently, steadilly collecting parts and pieces till I can drop the engine and do a complete tune up(timing belt, water pump, headgaskets, spark plugs and accomodating gaskets). when I bought the body panels, the guy also sold me some other things, so i will be doing the following upgrades while the engine is out:

-VF-39(bought) upgrade, which includes-
    -fuel rails(bought)
    -fuel pump(bought)
    -complete catless exhaust(bought)
    -new intake inlet(bought)
    -pink injectors(need)
    -STi TMIC(need)
    -TGV delete
    -complete vaccuum, radiator and probably fuel line replacement (they look 13 years old)
    -clutch and throw out bearing depending on wear.

Name:	3862.jpg 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	195713

Name:	4169.jpg 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	195721

Name:	4174.jpg 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	195729

Name:	4182.jpg 
Size:	11.6 KB 
ID:	195737

Name:	4232.jpg 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	195745

Name:	4388.jpg 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	195753

Name:	DSC_0562.jpg 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	195761
    The motor in the car allegedly has only 35k on it becuase he blew the last motor. he had it professionally installed and said he would send the receipts when he found them. never seen them, so I dont believe it. I'll decide when I break it down.
    as of April 2015, I have approximately $3,200 invested.
    My final budget is $5,000 because that's honestly what these cars go for, in better condition than mine. I'm in it for a good time, not to break the bank. I've owned a variety of cars, and grew up in a family of foreign car lovers, i just like wrenching on cars. I've restored cars all original growing up and i just like making cars my own more. my dad can keep his MGA's lol. comments and criticisms are welcome, more to come
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    THERE WILL COME A DAY WHEN YOU CAN DO THE THINGS YOU WANT TO DO WHEN YOU WANT TO DO THEM.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

I also have some more aesthetic plans, but those will come as I have the extra cash (read 'sell other car stuff') the interior is in fantastic condition, which is awesome seeing as that the PO was a smoking slob. there are no holes in any seats or stains on the headliner. im thinking about doing either a carbon fiber dip or wrap on some of the interior trim to get that extra +10HP

Name:	4039.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	195793

Name:	4042.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	195801

Name:	4044.jpg 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	195809
    Also, the grill was damged in the wreck, so i was shopping in the classifieds on here and found a gent selling a grill with the side pieces, and an enlarged carbon fiber scoop. I went ahead and got the scoop for $50 cause I wasn't sure when I could afford a STi scoop or even find one! both of them have a pretty large gapped chicken wire mesh on them, so I am going to try and find something with a tighter pattern.

Name:	4233.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	195785
    The guy I bought the car from said it had a Kartboy short shifter, which I think is true. something is definitely wrong though, because even when in gear the shifter is still very loose and wobbles as if in neutral. I replaced the bushing on the shifter, but I think it is going to require all the bushings to get it out.

Name:	3743.jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	195817l
    the goal of this build is for a street car, thats daily driver material, but can keep up at autox. I'm in Shreveport, La. and there is a SCCA group here, so I'm pretty excited about that. there is also a car shop here that specializes in Rotaries, but the son has a built '03 wrx and has offered to help me.
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by opellover View Post
    I also have some more aesthetic plans, but those will come as I have the extra cash (read 'sell other car stuff') the interior is in fantastic condition, which is awesome seeing as that the PO was a smoking slob. there are no holes in any seats or stains on the headliner. im thinking about doing either a carbon fiber dip or wrap on some of the interior trim to get that extra +10HP

Name:	4039.jpg 
Size:	20.7 KB 
ID:	195793

Name:	4042.jpg 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	195801

Name:	4044.jpg 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	195809
    Also, the grill was damged in the wreck, so i was shopping in the classifieds on here and found a gent selling a grill with the side pieces, and an enlarged carbon fiber scoop. I went ahead and got the scoop for $50 cause I wasn't sure when I could afford a STi scoop or even find one! both of them have a pretty large gapped chicken wire mesh on them, so I am going to try and find something with a tighter pattern.

Name:	4233.jpg 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	195785
    The guy I bought the car from said it had a Kartboy short shifter, which I think is true. something is definitely wrong though, because even when in gear the shifter is still very loose and wobbles as if in neutral. I replaced the bushing on the shifter, but I think it is going to require all the bushings to get it out.

Name:	3743.jpg 
Size:	20.5 KB 
ID:	195817l
    the goal of this build is for a street car, thats daily driver material, but can keep up at autox. I'm in Shreveport, La. and there is a SCCA group here, so I'm pretty excited about that. there is also a car shop here that specializes in Rotaries, but the son has a built '03 wrx and has offered to help me.
    In order to remove the side-side play in the shifter, you will need poly shift-linkage bushings.
    Last edited by zax; 04-23-2015 at 02:30 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    I'm order to remove the side-side play in the shifter, you will need poly shift-linkage bushings.
    like these? Prothane Rear 5 Speed Shifter Stabilizer Bushing Insert Kit WRX RS Impreza | eBay
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    That's part of the problem. These will not cure side-to-side motion.

You'll want this: TiC 5MT Linkage Update
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Awesome! I'll replace all of them. Thanks!
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice Opel.

How do you like your eBay headlights? Is the light pattern good?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Thanks! My first car and engine and transmission are out right now doing a rebuild cause of a blown clutch(have to drop the engine to do a clutch, crazy Germans)
    I've only driven it once with them on during the night, and one wasn't hooked up yet(picking it up from the bodyshop) and I liked it. It's better than the headlight that was on it, but they were seriously faded and old bulbs. Also, I've had them on a couple of times while hooking them up proper, and they were easy to wire. Usually the bulbs in the ebay housings are cheap, so when they go out I'm going back with a hid or led.
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks, please let us know how the headlights do work out. I think many people are looking for a low-cost yet higher-performance option, and most of those haven't worked out (the lighting isn't up to par). If you get great results please do update. Nice rabbit, BTW; New Zealand White?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Haha I stole that from off the line, but I do have a red VW rabbit! It's another project... I have alot of those....
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

I have been trying to figure what kind of exhaust I got in my package deal and i just found it on ebay.. For $28. I can only assume it's a piece of junk.
    '02 BLACK WRX.
    -ZIG ZIGLAR

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.