Jackstand Johnny's 4EAT Bugeye wagon Build: Rally Style!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Jackstand Johnny's 4EAT Bugeye wagon Build: Rally Style! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi guys and gals. On December 1st 2014 I became the proud owner of a 2002 WRB WRX wagon with ...

Registered User Jackstand Johnny's Avatar

Jackstand Johnny's 4EAT Bugeye wagon Build: Rally Style!

Hi guys and gals. On December 1st 2014 I became the proud owner of a 2002 WRB WRX wagon with only 91,7XX miles in near mint condition. It was one of the highlights of 2014 and by far the nicest car I've ever owned. Fast forward to today and now that I've got a decent pile of parts for it waiting to be installed and some promising goodies on the way, I figured it was time to make ambuild thread. I know most of y'all won't like it but I plan on installing a Forester XT suspension which I already got at a great price. I plan on building this into a rally car "inspired" bugeye, not a full on rally car but it should GE great fun none the less. So here's a couple pics of how it currently sits:

Sorry about the finger shot in the last pic. Nothing to write home about, but its still what I would consider a damn fine example of a bugeye. Now that everyone's gotten what they came here for and saw the pics, I'll tell the 1 person still interested what parts I have ready to install and what other plans I have for...Her? ...I need to give Her a name. So here's the work Ive done so far:

-Grimmspeed AOS(special thanks to Sasquatch. I'm pretty sure that's who hooked me up with the GS AOS. Thanks again!)
    -Paranoid Fabrication grounding kit
    -Greddy radiator air diffusion panel(painted flat black by yours truly)
    -K&N drop in air filter(no I haven't noticed ANY negative side effects of running this. Just apply oil sparingly and make sure your aorbos lid is seated properly in the rear!)
    -Subaru badged Yakima roof rack cross bar mounts and Yakima round load bars

Here's a list of the parts waiting to be installed:
    -03-08 Forester XT suspension with all necessary brackets, end links etc
    -DNA Motoring carless up pipe(very special thanks to Towline500 for this one)
    -Perrin catted downpipe
    -No name eBay 3" catback with limited special edition burnt blown out fiberglass packing!
    -Brembo blank brake rotors front and rear
    -StopTech street series brake pads front and rear
    -Goodrich stainless steel braided brake lines front and rear(given to my by another generous member here)
    -Hella 500 fog lights
    -NGK Iridium spark plugs(if you weren't excited by the brake pads I bet you are now huh?!!!
    -Denso o2 sensor, front bank

So future parts I'll be buying in the near future will include:
    -Cobb AP V2, unmarried for only $150(can't afford the V3)
    -Kartboy Hella 500 brackets
    -Roof cargo basket(please PM me if you've got one you'd sell near Williamsburg Virginia!)
    -15" or 16" 5x100 rims with 215/70/15 or 215/60/16 A/T tires
    -Full brush guard
    -Skid plates front and rear
    -LED light bar

So I got a CEL a week or so ago for my front bank o2 sensor and my brakes are near shot. These two things will be the next on the to do list. L be doing mostly maintenance work on the wagon and if I'm lucky maybe a couple goodies thrown in the mix. That's all for now. Thanks for red in and stay tuned! Until then, here's some pics of my handy work under the hood!

Grounding kit:

Pics of Greedy radiator panel. Before:

After paint:

Installed(yes I know the tabs are on the wrong side of the grill. I've since fixed them lol)
    Last edited by Jackstand Johnny; 04-23-2015 at 09:36 PM.
    I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Hey nice looking car!

Love the idea of making a rally inspired bug. No hate here. In fact its a welcome change from all the "Stanced" wrxs I see these days.

Looks like you've made some good progress and I'm looking forward to seeing how she turns out.
    My Build Thread - "Scrappy Doo" 2013 Subaru WRX Hatch
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-hatch.html

"We're far from having too much horsepower...my definition of too much horsepower is when all four wheels are spinning in every gear."

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good Mark.
    It's going to be night and day, when you install your TBE, and an AP.
    Keep the build going, I'm looking foward to see it progres.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like a great plan, and similar to what I plan on doing with my Outback.

How much is the Fozzy suspension going to lift you? With my OBXT, I can't really go more than 1-1/4" spacer lifts before I need to do serious additional suspension changes. I'll go 1" and 1" taller Geolander A/T-S tires to gain a bit of ground clearance, but I'm already starting at an advantage with 8.7" stock.

There are a couple sites that might interest you that tend this direction.
    Subarus offroad Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/subarusoffroad/
    North American Offroad Subarus Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/texasoffroadsubarus/
    Offroad Subarus forum (Oz biased) OFFROADSUBARUS.com

This will be a fun thread to follow!
    Steve

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon (sold) __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

Thanks so much guys! I really appreciate all the support. The Forester lift should give Me around 3" of lift give or take a half inch or so. Since they're off the XT and are stiffer, that should help keep them from settling down as much as lighter sprung Forester springs. So there's about 3" from the suspension plus about an inch from the tires so that'll be 4" over stock. It should he a substantial difference in height but the stiffer springs will help with the handling a little.

Here are some pics I've saved as inspiration to my build. Enjoy!

I Support ClubWRX
    I forgot probably the most applicable other web site! Dirty Impreza
    DirtyImpreza.com - The Off-Road Impreza Community

Steve - Avon, Ohio, USA - Moderator - Fun Drives and North Central States
    The Morris Garage
    2008 Outback 2.5XT Ltd __2002 WRX Wagon (sold) __ 1958 MGA Roadster __ 2008 smart Cabrio __ and a few scooters...

PH yeah, I'm already a member there. I absolutely love that place for its info but its nowhere near as active as ClubWRX. Plus I'm not able to copy ahd aste on their forum from my tablet which is what I use 99% of the time. I was gonna write up my build here and copy/paste it there in the members journal but their forum wouldn't let me so...oh well there loss! DI is actually where I got my Fozzy suspension swap. Got it from a really good dude there who told me to hit Him up any time if I have questions or need help. Plus everyone there does listed Imprezas. I especially wanted to make my build thread here because very few people here lift their Imprezas and I like the idea of being different and adding variety here.

I Support ClubWRX
    Awesome! I love the lifted look.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 (typo, schmypo)
    My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Alright! Glad to have at least one fan here. Lol. So this weekend hopefully I'll be taking my wagon to a guy I met off Craigslist(casual encounters...no, not really) to get all the brake components installed while I replace my o2 sensor in the front bank. I found an ad He posted on CL selling STi parts and He mentioned in it that He also knows these cars inside and out and that He can work on them. Just what I was looking for since I don't trust a single shop in town, let alone any of them with a Subaru. Hisnnames Paul Wilson. Turns out He drag races them and I believe He actually won the Grimmspeed TMIC world world record for the 1/4 mile. He might even be a member here but He's a real good guy from what I've gathered and He definitely knows His stuff.

Sorry I don't have anything exciting to post yet but I still want to keep y'all in the loop and update my progress. I might be going to see Him and several other WRX/STi owners race in Richmond tomorrow and very soon I'll be picking up a Cobb AP V2 for what I think is pretty cheap. Unmarried for $150...not bad? Of course I won't be installing it until my bugeye is mechanically sound again, but that won't be long. Thanks for reading, stay tuned.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds like things are progressing nicely.
    Have you installed the AOS yet?
    Took me 2 hours, I kept double checking.
    I have a few things in the works. I'll keep you posted.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

Well I'm ****ing pissed. After this guy assured me Cobb would unmarry Hois AP V2 and He'd sell it to me for $150, I texted Him today after not hearing back from Him and a few hours later He tells me Cobb said the V2 is too old to unmarry and that He'd sell me it married for $30 so I could get $100 off the $650 V3 that I'll never be able to afford. Goddamnit I'm so ****ing pissed off and disappointed. This is after He made a deal to sell me a Borla Hush catback for $200 only to sell it from under me to another guy. I want to scream at the top of my lungs right now. What an *******. So no accesport for me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Your better off without that one.
    Don't try to buy a married AP, it's just not worth the headache.
    Save up and get one unmarried from a reputable seller.
    You really have to be careful buying things online.
    I only buy things from people I know and talk to on a regular basis.
    There's way to many shady *******s selling things.
    If a deal is to good to be true. It is!!
    Your better off not dealing with that jag off.
    I'll keep my eyes out for a good deal. Just start saving now.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackstand Johnny View Post
    So here's the work Ive done so far:
    -Grimmspeed AOS(special thanks to Sasquatch. I'm pretty sure that's who hooked me up with the GS AOS. Thanks again!)
    It was me. I do not see the AOS in any of your pics.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

Lol yeah Sasquatch I remembered and gave you your well deserved props in my first post. I installed it after I took that pic of the engine bay. Its installed bit you probably can't see it in the pic I took of the Greedy radiator diffusion panel. I've been running it for about 2 months now with zero issues. Thank you again. It feels good knowing its there. You and Towline500 looked out for me and were really generous when I first came here and it made me feel like a part of the family from day 1. I can't thank y'all enough for that. Knowing I had this community to help me out is a huge reason why selling my car wasn't going to be an option when I ran into all those problems as soon as I got it.

Tim you're right man. I need to start saving for one, but its near impossible for me to save any !money and soon I might be living hand to mouth. Selling off all my stuff I don't really need and trying to flip motorcycle parts is my only way of getting money together to fix my car. Rather than save for an AP I need to try and pay off my auto loan ASAFP. I've got less than 2k left on it and I have panic attacks thinking about my beloved bugeye getting repossed after already paying off so much lol. Thanks for keeping an eye out for me.

Today was a pretty good day. I met up with my new mechanic for the first time and I replaced my o2 sensor and He installed:

-Goorich stainless steel braided brake lines
    -Brembo blank rotors front and rear
    -StopTech street pads
    -Valvoline synthetic DOT 3 brake fluid aaaand...
    -Rotataed my tires

No more check engine light and my brakes have never felt better! I still have to do the bed in process. I tried today on the way home but going from 60 to 10 miles per hour ten times in a row on public roads is...exactly as hard as it sounds lol. The best part was meeting several Subie owners. All with STi's. First time I ever saw a bugeye STi in person and one dude had an 08' STi Limited. Here's a few pics from today:

So fresh and so clean!

Roxy was stalking to neighborhood squirrels.

My mechanics STi behind my bugeye:

Here's the bugeye STi about to get some work done. This kid stays busy.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.