Subaru WRX Forum banner

Strudinox's 2015 WRX Premium

50K views 180 replies 31 participants last post by  strudinox 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I just broke 1000 miles so I figured it's time to let the mods begin! So far this has been an amazing ride. Driving to and from work is pretty much the highlight of my day. I mostly plan on doing exterior and interior mods at this point with some mild engine/performance mods. As my warranty slowly fades away, I'll probably go stage 2, among other mods. Converting to E85 has always been something I've been considering.

Exterior Mods

• Headlight Dissassembly: Painted reflectors black, HID retrofit
  • Subispeed DRL Harness
  • HID Lowbeam Bulbs 6000k
  • Morimoto 18" Switchback LED strips in C-Light
  • Morimoto LED Turn Signals (front and back)
  • LED License Plate Bulbs
  • Laminx yellow Fog light covers
  • Smoked reverse taillight overlays
  • STI wing/trunk swap
  • Debadge all but WRX
  • Blue/Black Vinyl emblem overlays
  • RokBlokz mudflaps
  • Bayson R Front Lip
  • Roof Vortex Generator

Interior Mods

Performance Mods
  • Cobb Accessport
  • TGV Deletes
  • Perrin Shifter Bushing
  • Perrin Shift Stop
  • Mishimoto Intake
  • Catless Depo J-Pipe/Intermediate pipe w/ Titanium Wrap
  • STi Catback Exhaust
  • Grimmspeed 3-Port EBCS
  • Grimspeed J-Pipe hardware kit
  • Grimspeed 3" to 2.5" adapter
  • PRL EGR Delete Kit

Suspension/Wheels
  • Winter setup: Blizzak WS80's on stock tires
  • Summer Setup: Dunlop Sportmax on Konig Backbone wheels (17x7.5 @17lbs)

**Currently Stage 2 - Etuned by Torqued Performance**

Here she is, the day I took her home from the dealership with 14 miles on the ODO. The kids were probably just as excited as I was! :D

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice!
I'm sure that thousand miles didn't come soon enough.
You'll like the Cobb AP, only downside it gets the mod bug to bite you.
Then you just keep going and going, until you've created a monster.

#7 ·
Have you thought about adding one under the engine hood? I think it needs more light up there too, but have not looked at what it might need.

#11 ·
I have the RBs on my '15 and I love them. I tossed around the idea of RA but I couldn't justify the price... and I'm not a fan of the glossy finish. The RBs provide great protection from the snow and salt.

#13 ·
I'm not sure if I'll ever know what exactly happened, but the end result was my sun roof exploding. =\

I was driving on the freeway (70ish mph) with no cars for at least 200 yards in front of me when I heard this loud BANG. I look up and sure enough the sun roof glass was completely shattered. I closed the shade just in case it decided to give way. Didn't want glass all over me. The next day after hours of constant crackling, it did collapse. So now I've got 10000 little glass pieces sitting on top of the sun roof shade. I called up the dealership when I got home and they want to take a look at it to determine whether or not warranty would cover it or not. The only way it wouldn't is if they notice evidence of an impact from another object. If they don't cover it, it's about $650 to get it replaced. :unhappy:

Oh well... it is what it is.

Vehicle Glass

#14 ·
I'm not sure if I'll ever know what exactly happened, but the end result was my sun roof exploding. =\

I was driving on the freeway (70ish mph) with no cars for at least 200 yards in front of me when I heard this loud BANG. I look up and sure enough the sun roof glass was completely shattered. I closed the shade just in case it decided to give way. Didn't want glass all over me. The next day after hours of constant crackling, it did collapse. So now I've got 10000 little glass pieces sitting on top of the sun roof shade. I called up the dealership when I got home and they want to take a look at it to determine whether or not warranty would cover it or not. The only way it wouldn't is if they notice evidence of an impact from another object. If they don't cover it, it's about $650 to get it replaced. :unhappy:

Oh well... it is what it is.

View attachment 186761
Holy hell

#15 ·
That sucks!
I'm glad you weren't injured.
I hope the dealer pays to fix it, good luck my friend.

#17 ·
Well, the new moonroof is installed, however it was determined that it does not fall under warranty so I had to pay for it out of pocket... $750 for a bit of bad luck. When questioning the service people, they finally broke down and said that I could try contacting SOA explaining my situation and I "might" get a portion of it reimbursed. Has anyone had any experience with a situation like this?

On a side note, I installed the Perrin shifter bushing last night, and love the added stiffness!

#21 ·
I'm not an expert, but that picture doesn't look like impact damage to me. I remember hearing a lot about Hyundai Veloster sunroofs exploding a while back and a quick google search for "exploding sunroof" brings up plenty of results that mention a lot of different auto makers.

I'd definitely take the issue up with SOA, politely of course, but let them know about it nonetheless. I don't think you should be on the hook for that repair bill.

#22 ·
Maybe impact from a boulder...the only thing I can see not having a single point of impact
If it was impact, I'm saying there'd be a smaller area where you'd see closer cracks and maybe a hole and farther away from that spot is smaller less cracks

#27 · (Edited)
Dealerships are filled with *******s, I had to fight with them to fix rust on my roof of a brand new car even tho they offer " lifetime " rust warranty. When i bought my 15 the idiots drilled holes in my front bumper where the license plate goes without there being holes so they literally just drilled two self tapping screws into my bumper AFTER i specially asked them not to touch it.

Im fighting with them right now to fix the bumper their solution is " next time we get a silver one in well swap bumpers ".

EDIT**

Swapped bumpers today, nice new shiny bumper no holes drilled into it.

#29 ·
Dealerships are filled with *******s, I had to fight with them to fix rust on my roof of a brand new car even tho they offer " lifetime " rust warranty. When i bought my 15 the idiots drilled holes in my front bumper where the license plate goes without there being holes so they literally just drilled two self tapping screws into my bumper AFTER i specially asked them not to touch it.

Im fighting with them right now to fix the bumper their solution is " next time we get a silver one in well swap bumpers ".

Its so painful dealing them them, on that note dont ever buy a Subaru from Victory Subaru in Somerset NJ
The dealership did the same thing to mine. It looks so bad I'm thinking about putting a licence plate delete in its place.

#34 ·
Wow, so my luck really needs to start kicking in right about now. I was on my way to taking my son to school, when I hear this THUD. about 5 seconds later the TPMS kicks on. The rear driver's side tire is completely flat. I popped on the spare and took it to Les Schwab which happened to be right around the corner and the tire has a 3-inch gash in it. Luckily, because the car was so new and the wear was almost non-existant, I didn't have to buy all 4. But still...

Another $250 out of my upgrade/mod fund. =\

#38 ·
LOL seriously! Hopefully I've just condensed my year's worth into the last week. Smooth sailing here on out!

*knock on wood*

Now with that little issue out of the way, I plan on starting the headlamp mod tonight! I have a few nights set aside for working on it, so hopefully I'll be done by Sunday. All in all, I plan on painting the reflectors black, covering the squirrel finder inside the projector housing, and securing LED strips inside of the C light and then wiring it up.... somehow.

I saw on SubiSpeed a DRL wiring harness which is suppose to convert the C-light into the DRL. I think I might pick this up as well.

SubiSpeed DRL Harness for Boomerang (C Light) - 2015 WRX Base / Premium - Exterior - 2015+ Subaru WRX

#39 ·
In looking forward to this. I enjoy headlights mods, and the 15 look bad ass with it.
Thanks for reminding me, I need to rebake mine and wipe down the inner part of the plastic lens and projector lens. ..you can see where I touched it

#41 ·
18 hours later, the headlight makeover is complete! I couldn't be happier with the results. The blacked out headlights look fantastic. It's how the WRX should have looked IMO. The whole process wasn't too complex, just time consuming as I was taking my time trying not to make any mistakes. Masking and painting probably took the longest. The worst part was reinstalling the bumper cover.... man that was a pain to do by myself lol.

Anyways, I thought I'd post some random pics I took of my progress! I HIGHLY recommend this mod to any WRX owner :D

Getting ready for paint! I used 5 coats of Duplicolor satin plastic paint.

Painted the cutoff shield black with high temperature paint. Also bent the squirrel finder down.

Let it dry for about 6 hours in warm temp then removed the masking tape... not bad!

Here's a shot of the LEDS that I used. I planned on filling the entire C light with LEDS however, the bottom area was so thin I could not get the strips to fit inside.

All put back together!

....and installed.

As for the HID output, it's quite a bit more focused and it's about as good as It's going to get without spending more money on lenses, etc. I wish I had a decent before pic, but the HIDs were throwing light all over the place. Now, the glare above the cutoff is MUCH better, and the light output appears to have a sort of "prismatic" look to it if that makes sense. It's hard to explain...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.