2002 wrx wheel offset issue pleaseeee help need some closure
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx wheel offset issue pleaseeee help need some closure within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys what's up looking for some help here and please no sarcasm I have an 02 wrx and j ...

2002 wrx wheel offset issue pleaseeee help need some closure

Hey guys what's up looking for some help here and please no sarcasm
    I have an 02 wrx and j wanted to upgrade not wheels from 17x7.5 to 18x9 so I did I found a guy with 18x9 265-35zr18in tires mounted and balanced he wasn't sure if the offset but on his 08 wrx narrow body they stuck out which I was ok with since I liked the pattern plus I assumed since my 02 has an oem wide body sort of set up it would be ok and as of now I'm right my back wheels stick out somewhat a quarter of an inch (+40 offset) I know you need atleast a +43 to make it fit but whatever my passenger side front is out about a quarter of an inch to half an inch and the driver side front is about an inch out! I did replace my axle and removed the camber bolts but put them back in as they were before I do plan to get a wheel alignment soon I know my body isn't bent I did a poor mans x check to see if the body was hit and it's not I measured from the rotor to the end of the stud on both sides and from the camber bolts to the end of the stud and got the same thing? Fenders aren't bent it bothers me because one side is almost in the fender like it should be and other on is out a little and it bothers me. Only thing I can think of is the camber on my drivers could be positive extended outward and the passenger side could be negative inward. Please help this bothers my tremendously
    (Wheels are torque 5 spoke black with a chrome lip not my first choice but I don't mind until I find some 04 sti bbs wheels.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Didn't notice this issue before either and the wheels are the same offset... I think
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Last edited by 02srpbugeye; 01-26-2015 at 05:56 AM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'd stick with the 17x7.5 which is a better match for your car.

Cheaper rubber, lighter weight, looks better, etc.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

id prefer the 18X9 For now just want to get the offset sorted out because it bothers me
    ill be getting 04 sti bbs soon

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would SERIOUSLY recommend a 17x7.5 with 245 rubber. You will rub if anything wider. 18x9 wheel is simply going to reduce your car's performance.

Not to mention 18s will make your brakes look TINY!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator | Builds, Electronics/Car Audio, Engine Modifications, Mid-Atlantic States, Suspension & Wheels, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs |
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

right now im not rubbing i like the way the 18s look yor car should be modded to the way you like it and thats exactly what im doing i just want to know why my wheel was sticking out
    i also cant run wheels that have the lugnuts that go into them all the way such as most universal wheels i have extended wheel studs and dont want to change back to stock so i need to be able to get a nut with an open end and be able to use a 19mm socket to tighten cant use cheap nuts there to short and the stud goes through them i got all 4 wheels and tires for 300$ so as a temp thing i dont mind i just want me wheel in more

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't understand your post but let me ask you this:

What happens when you take the wheel that is protruding more, and place it in any other position on the car, replacing it with any of the other wheels?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

same thing happens

I Support ClubWRX
    As in, whatever wheel is placed in that position protrudes at that position and only when placed there?

OK so the wheels are all apparently the same offset. That leaves the car. A number of things might be wrong with the car, including nothing. See what happens when the car is aligned on a rack. Measure the axles, just in case someone replaced the opposite axle with something from, say, a wagon or in any case something narrower. If neither, then suspect something might be bent, particularly if the previous wheels had curb damage or if one of the four was newer than the other three.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

i had replaced the drivers side front axle with one out of a legacy 5speed axle but i measured and length was proper maybe a wheel alrignment? maybe one wheel is toed out and one is toed in? making it appear its sticking out when there both not

I Support ClubWRX
    Those are all possibilities yes.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 02srpbugeye View Post
    i had replaced the drivers side front axle with one out of a legacy 5speed axle but i measured and length was proper maybe a wheel alrignment? maybe one wheel is toed out and one is toed in? making it appear its sticking out when there both not
    If you replaced the axle then you probably need an alignment, seeing as you have to remove the knuckle.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.