02 wrx bugeye vf39 hybrid build 😊
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 02 wrx bugeye vf39 hybrid build 😊 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys what's up? I'm new seen a lot of people posting there builds and info on them which is ...

02 wrx bugeye vf39 hybrid build 😊

Hey guys what's up? I'm new seen a lot of people posting there builds and info on them which is how I came about building my car should have started this back in September before I started building but oh well better late then never.
    I picked up an 02 Sedona red pearl wrx (loving the color)everything was stock except for a spt short ram intake and 17x8in wheels. I was 15 picked it up around 9-2-14 and had plans for a 450whp toy (those plans didn't last after I leanred more about them) realized a full ej257 swap would be a pain so finally did the sti block and wrx heads. Just got it base mapped s few days ago already have 80 miles on it gonna do some more for break in. Here are my mods. (Did all the work myself had some minor verbal help from friends) shoutout to my family for not getting to mad at me through this stressful time.
    Brand new 15' ej257 sti short block
    Ej205 heads sent to larrys auto machine in Groton ct (might be Larrys automotive
    All 16 valves redone and machined surfaces and chamber matched to 99.5mm bore
    Felpro standard size headgaskets
    Sti oil pan set up
    eBay headers and catless up pipe along with downpipe 3in tbe straight from eBay
    Brand new oem oil cooler
    Complete engine gasket set
    vf39 reman sti turbo (04-06)
    3in turbo inlet
    Dw750cc injectors
    Walbro 255 fuel pump
    Diy tgv deletes welded holes ported housings
    Cxracing tmic (hugeeee)
    Aluminum dual core radiator
    Slim fans 10in.
    Gates racing timing belt kit
    Oem subaru 10mm oil pump
    Grimspeed ebcs
    Arp headstuds
    Stage 3 competition clutch.
    Still have a sick speed catch can to install
    Rights now base mapped running 8lbs of boost and a 5500rpm rev limiter getting a pro tune in about 1000 miles I just got my permit so I have some time to rack up miles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice work!
    Your build looks promising.
    Keep us updated.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Not much to keep updated on but what do you think of the build?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There are a few things I would change, but it will cost some money and what you have going should work out.

Be careful out there.. and don't try racing it unless you enjoy replacing transmissions.

What would you change? I did do the work myself so I wouldn't mind going back in if its not serious
    And btw to ad I T'Ed the extra port on the sti block (ccv port) into my valve cover ventilation

I wouldn't use DW (Dontwerks) injectors. A lot of people end up having problems with them (myself included), and they don't tune as nicely as a higher quality injector.. like Injector Dynamics. I would go with ID1000s for that build.

Also, eBay headers are almost always junk. When I switched from the eBay header that came on my last WRX to a Perrin equal length header, I picked up 900rpm of spool, and much better power across the board. In fact, you would probably be better off with the stock cast manifolds than an eBay header.

Same goes for the CXRacing TMIC.. it's an eBay knock off product. The fin density on those is crap, and in turn, it does a poor job of cooling. It might look big, but the fact is it doesn't do its job as well as the OEM TMIC. The most inexpensive aftermarket TMIC I would consider is the TurboXS one.. Process West also makes a very nice TMIC, but it's more expensive and the TurboXS unit would work great on that size turbo. If money is tight, a used STi TMIC would also work.

I've heard a lot of complaints about Competition Clutches as well. Mostly that they chatter a lot. Out of the five clutches I've used in my Subarus, the ACT HDSS was by far my favorite. I've also heard that Clutchmasters are good, but I haven't had the opportunity to drive one.. yet.

From reading on the forums I heard the dw750s were good injectors I hadn't known about the flaws I did think 750 was a good size since I'm not doing e85 and most people are running them with the Sti pink 550s so since money is slightly tight I'll go with the 750s until they start to give me problems I will keep you guys updated on it. I appreciate that piece of information.��

As far as the headers it is a 2 piece headers and up pipe separate I just assumed that a piece of metal is a piece of metal and didnt think eBay or name brand was much of a difference if I was to change them would you recommend eBay el headers? And maybe a ewg set up? Or is my engine to weak to handle it? (Stock internals oem 80 miles on it) do you also think el headers will get me past the 300whp range on a mustang dyno? Because I heard I'll be just shy of 300 with my mods

As far as the tmic I like the way it looks better then oem I know it's cheap and doesn't cool efficently but do you think it would be alright for a daily driver? If not I guess I'll look around for a name brand

The thing is, some people can't even get their cars to run right from the start with DW injectors.. it's not really about the size, 750 is plenty of flow, it's just that they don't scale linerally, so you end up getting misfires when you step on the gas and stuff. It's not that you would need 1000cc injectors, it's just that the ID1000s really work that much better than most other injectors, regardless of flow rate. DW are used injectors, that they basically rebuild, and just stick different caps on to get different flow rates.

Metal isn't just metal when it comes to headers. Proper design is important for the flow of exhaust gasses.. not to mention cheap metal will crack easily. I would recommend Perrin ELH, Invidia Race ELH, the Full Race 4-2-1 manifold, or if you want the best for stock location turbo, Killer B Holly Header (but it ain't cheap). With properly designed ELH, you should be pretty close to 300whp.. it just depends on the dyno.

EWG isn't really ever a bad idea, but then you're looking at another $600-$700. It will improve performance and boost control.. but only you can decide if the cost is worth it to you.

As long as your tune is good, the shortblock should handle that amount of power just fine. And the TMIC will work, hell, you could run the car with no intercooler at all.. it's just not ideal.

I understand. Well I'll see how it goes I thought they resembled the oem looking 440s but I'll see how far I get
    I will look into headers shouldn't be to hard to swap out 6 bolts in the heads and 3 bolts on the turbo and down she comes and not sure on the type of headers I'll get maybe just a name brand uel because idk if I'll like the sound of it but when you say you gained 900rpms of spool what turbo was that on? So it finished or started spooling 900roms lower?
    And I'll look into a ewg since I have room between my up pipe and firewall and size in particular? Tial 38mm maybe?

If you want UEL you'd likely be better off just using the stock manifold..

When I switched headers I went from a vf22 to a MAP 20g. I was measuring spool in my logs using peak boost as a reference point. With both turbos I was running the same boost map, 24psi peak. The vf22 on the UEL eBay header would hit 24psi at around 4150rpm.. since the 20g is so much bigger I was sure it would take longer to spool up, but to my astonishment it was hitting 24psi by 4050rpm. The spool was almost identical, the main difference I noticed was that the 20g continued to pull hard all the way to 6900rpm, where as the vf22 was pretty much dead after 5500rpm. At first I just thought the slight improvement in spool was just due to better turbo design, but when a bunch of people started having trouble with the turbo leaking oil I decided to return it to MAP for a refund. I put the vf22 back on and suddenly I was able to hit 24psi at 3200rpm.

Tial makes good wastegates, and 38mm would work fine on your setup.

That's interesting!
    Also why would the stock headers be a better option the eBay uel? Don't they both do the same thing?

For 02 07 Impreza WRX STI GD GG EJ25 Stainless Exhaust Manifold 2 Pieces Header | eBay

thjs is basically my header seems like a decent design to me for getting exhaust gasses out plus it looks good��

They both move exhaust gases from the engine to the turbine, yes.. just the stock manifold does it more efficiently, fits right every time, and is virtually indestructible. The thick cast iron elbows retain heat much better, which also improves spool.

When talking about headers for a turbo car, the design is pretty important. If you change size/length of the primaries, that can have a fairly drastic effect on the characteristics of how the turbo spools up. For a small turbo like the vf39, you're going to want a manifold with narrow diameter primaries.. bigger primaries and you just lose exhaust gas velocity, the turbo doesn't spool as well, and you don't gain any flow (top end) because the choke point is still at the turbine/turbine housing, not the headers. A lot of the knock off eBay products have massively large primaries, because it looks good to people who don't know better. Plus those Chinese companies don't do any research what so ever, they contribute nothing to the community, and they use the cheapest materials possible. They don't care about cars or people, all they care about is ripping people off to make a buck. The result is poor fitment, poor performance, and quick failure. I would highly prefer to support a company who actually does the research that's needed to make a good product and supports the community of car enthusiasts, rather than one who's just in it for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by 02srpbugeye View Post

Agency Power is a knock off brand.. they've been ripping other companies off for years. There's a reason their parent company (Vivid Racing) is banned from being a vendor on all major forums.

You're not going to find a header worth using over the stock manifold for less than $600. Most of the decent ones are in the $800-$1200 range.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.