My Engine Build Plan

This is a discussion on My Engine Build Plan within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, some of you might recall that recently my motor failed on me. 2010 STi SE with 24k miles. ...

My Engine Build Plan

Hey everyone, some of you might recall that recently my motor failed on me. 2010 STi SE with 24k miles. Here is the original thread. TL;DR - My ringlands failed. Bad. Cylinder #2's piston is missing the entire side of the ringland (top & bottom). They easily came off after I pulled them out of the motor. Luckily they didn't break apart while in the car. There really wasn't any metal in the oil pan or filter.

Anyway, I've decided my build plan, builder, and tuner. I've been doing a lot of research to plan this out, and I think I have everything. If there's something not listed that I need or should add, please let me know. This is my first build so I may have missed something. I would like to try and keep this under $5k, but hey, you have to pay to play.

I took a 2 1/2 hour drive and dropped my block, heads and crank off at IAG Performance in Maryland on Saturday. After doing a lot of research, they seem to be very reputable, have good turnaround time, and can meet all my needs and exceed them.

My goal is a reliable, durable daily driver, but also makes good power. I'm not aiming to hit 400whp anytime soon, but I will eventually (I read the PSA and links). My car ran 330awhp on R/T Tuning's Mustang Dyno before, with intake, full catless turboback and Cobb Dynotune. I'm not really expecting this build to make over 350awhp, and that's fine...for now

Moving along, here is my proposed build as of now. I plan on reusing my shortblock and crank, but we will know for sure after IAG diagnoses everything.

• Manley Pistons (99.75mm)
    • Manley H-Beam Rods (might do TurboTuff instead)
    • ACL Rod & Main Bearings
    • ARP Head Studs
    • Perrin Air-Oil Separator
    • Air Pump Delete
    • Competition Stage 4 Six-Puck Clutch
    • Gates Timing Belt Kit & Water Pump
    • Oil Pump (What is recommended?)
    • OEM Gasket Set

This comes out to a subtotal of around $3000 for the parts alone. Then there's also the other small miscallaneuos parts and fluids, which will probably add up to around $300-500. I expect labor to be aroud 15-20 hours (motor is already pulled and full disassembled), adding roughly $1500 in labor, making the grand total right around $5000. Then there is also about $500 to tune the car after it is done. So yeah, as you can see I'm already going over my budget. There's so many other little costs that I'm sure will add up as well, like towing the car to the shop.

I really want to do cams while I have everything pulled, but it looks like it's going to be around another $1500 to do that, and I'm having trouble deciding if that's worth it right now, seeing as I'm not really looking for significant power gains at the moment, I just like the way lopey cams sound.

Other possible mods I want to do in the future are:
    • Headers
    • UpPipe
    • External WasteGate
    • Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump
    • Injectors (probably 1000cc)
    • Boost Controller
    • Perrin Front Mount Intercooler
    • Radiator
    • Of course a bigger turbo at some point

Some of those are pretty cheap and I might consider doing now, such as the boost controller. Since the boost controller and the fuel pump are pretty cheap, are they worth upgrading now for my setup, or can they wait? Since I'm not too knowledgable, I'm not sure if I should upragde my fueling system, or if stock will be fine for my build. I am also considering going Speed Density, but I might wait till I do the headers/UpPipe/EWG.

I know this is a lot, but I have so much going on in my life right now and its difficult for me to spend hours and hours trying to find every answer. I just started 2 new jobs, trying to get my PA ACT 235 Cert, and just got engaged and a place with my Fiancee right after returning home from my deployment. Thank you all so much in advance. You guys are seriously a huge help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Looks good.

You can stick with the stock oil pump which should flow more than enough oil for the typical tolerances a builder works with.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Looks good.

You can stick with the stock oil pump which should flow more than enough oil for the typical tolerances a builder works with.
    Thanks. I was reading on NASIOC that it's good to replace the oil pump with a new one when doing a rebuild.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds nice - I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

He meant a new stock one.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    It's going to be nice when finished!
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sounds nice - I'll be interested to hear how it turns out.

He meant a new stock one.
    Oh okay, I read it as keep the one I have, not replace with a new stock one.

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    It's going to be nice when finished!
    Keep us updated on your progress.
    Thanks! I definitely will. I'm really excited for this. There's so much I want to do since everything is out but I just can't drop that much money at once. Why didn't I stay single?