New Member's New 2015 WRX
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on New Member's New 2015 WRX within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello everyone. I've been lurking the Subaru forums for a while now since I bought my car back in July ...

New Member's 2015 WRX

Hello everyone. I've been lurking the Subaru forums for a while now since I bought my car back in July sometime. This is my first Subaru, so I'm trying to learn about these cars as much as possible. I initially thought I was going to go with an SUV like the Crosstrek but after test driving the WRX I had to have it. Much better than the Hyundai Veloster I had for only two years.

A few things I like about the car are the power (not the best but plenty for a daily driver), all the aftermarket parts, four doors, AWD, and the big trunk. A few things that I really wanted to get rid of were the terrible stereo (which is always my first mod to any car I've ever had), and getting rid of all the rattles.

So, I bought an 2015 Ice Silver WRX with the Premium package that also included the sunroof, all weather mats, homelink/dimming rearview mirror, and added the coated paint and plastic protection through the dealership. I'm not the most savvy car guy so if there's things that some of you car guys think I should upgrade that would be beneficial to what I'm doing, please let me know. I'll post a list of the mods I have and what I'm looking to add for the future.

Current mod list:

Custom stereo (still got more work to do here)
    20% tint all around
    OLM headlights and C lights
    LED interior lights (dome, trunk, etc)
    Carbon Fiber license plate frames

Future mods:
    Mishimoto or ETS Intake (recommendations?)
    Perrin dual exhaust
    Crank and Water pump pulley
    Cobb or ECUtek Tune (recommendations?)
    OLM DRL's and Fog lights
    Front strut bar
    18" wheels (down the road)
    Lip Kit (down the road)

Temporary Stereo consists of:
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS.
    Mids: Dayton Ref 7" Paper Cones in doors.
    Tweeters: Dayton Ref Silk Domes.
    Mids Amp: JL Audio XD800/8 bridged to mids and tweets
    Subs: (2) Obsidian Audio 10's in ported birch enclosure tuned to 32hz.
    Sub Amp: US Amps MD3D.
    Sound Deadening: Stinger and Fat Mat
    Wiring: Mostly Knukonceptz wire and RCA's.
    Battery: Will be upgraded later down the line.

Soon I'll upgrade the stereo to a 3way active frontstage using a Pioneer NEX4000 and processor. The mids in the doors will be replaced to some beefier mids for strictly midbass duty. I purchased some Dayton Ref 4's for the dash along with some small Dayton AMT tweeters for either the a-pillars or to also fit in the dash. I love my sub amp but I'll probably change it out for something a little smaller and possibly changing to a single 10 (for less weight).

Now on to the pics!

When I first purchased the car:

Last edited by beerdrnkr; 10-15-2014 at 01:56 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Here's a few pics of what the interior looks like and where the stock speaker locations are.

A lot of room in the spare tire area.

There's basically no deadening whatsoever in the trunk so even though I just went with fatmat, hopefully it'll make a little difference. So nothing too exciting but here's a few pics. I forgot to snap some of the trunk lid after it was deadened.

The spare tire area is pretty big. Plenty of room for some amps!

A couple new things too.

And for fun I bought a pair of these to see how I like them: Dayton Audio AMT Mini-8 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 8 Ohm

Sorry, didn't really get many pics of the stereo install and some of the wiring being being ran. I was able to find a grommet in the firewall but it was a pain to get the 0/1g in there.

installed the mids in the doors and with a little cutting made the tweets fit. I'll have to get some pics of those later.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds nice so far, and welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures of the speakers, subs, and sound deafening installed?

EDIT: looks like I spoke too soon
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

Tuned the system for a couple of hours and things are sounding pretty good. Enjoying the mids so far.
    [/QUOTE]

Tinted windows 20% all around and some new low beams, dome lights, and C lights.

Some more new toys came in. These things are tiny. Smaller than I thought they'd be. I'm thinking 3way with the air motions in the a pillars and the new dayton ref paper cone 4s in the dash

A few ideas.

Big thanks to my buddy Ryan for building the box for me. 2.5c/ft tuned to 32hz and fits perfectly snug in the smaller opening in the trunk and i was able to save a big part of the trunk.

The car is a lot louder with the subs facing to the rear but the trunk looks like it's about to fly off the vehicle and the rear deck even though it's sound deadened still rattles like crazy. So my solution to this was subs facing forward and that yields much less rattle overall. I still have a little bit of rattle from the rear deck but it's not bad at all. I also had a bad rattle from the rear view mirror but some clear silicone should help that out and finally i have a small rattle from the front drivers side door that I'll have to tackle soon as well.

The subs sound great and with the subs turned down a bit I get nice up front bass and it blends well with the mids. Whenever i feel like getting a little loud i can just fold down the rear seats and get all the bass i need. Really enjoying this system so far and should only get better once i get the 3way frontstage going.

Really loving these subs, they sound great. As soon as i take care of some rattles it'll be a really clean sounding setup. It'll get much better once i complete the 3way frontstage too.

My new 4's came in.

Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Sounds nice so far, and welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures of the speakers, subs, and sound deafening installed?

EDIT: looks like I spoke too soon
    Thanks. I hope to learn a lot from the people on here. I'm more of an audio guy but really want to improve the power on this car as well.

So this is where I'm currently at. Money is a little tight with me trying to buy a house around December/January but I'll still be purchasing small things here and there.

Last edited by beerdrnkr; 10-15-2014 at 01:38 PM.

as an audio guy myself, i appreciate your equipment choices, Good stuff!

Edit: just saw your build log on caraudio.com haha

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Nice work and welcome
    I used to compete at Iasca with custom jobs like that.
    You have to keep us posted.
    That amp looks like a DB meter destroyer.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktimusCrime View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BlacktimusCrime View Post
    Yeah, I'm on Caraudio.com, caraudioclassifieds.org, and DIYMA. This log has been up on those for a while now. lol

Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Nice work and welcome
    I used to compete at Iasca with custom jobs like that.
    You have to keep us posted.
    That amp looks like a DB meter destroyer.
    Nice, I've never competed but I've gone to a lot of SQ and SPL competitions. The US Amps amp is a beast for sure but I'll probably switch it out for something in a smaller chassis but around the same wattage. It puts out 2000wrms.
    I get pretty impatient so it's so hard to not just go on a spending spree and finish a few things I want done quickly. Pretty sure I'll be getting the Perrin crank pulley and PPI DSP88r processor next. With the DSP installed I'll be able to install the AMT and 4" mids in the dash and that'll get me close to finishing the stereo install. The pulley is one of a few things that I want to help improve performance quickly. Stereo, pulley and Intake will probably be done in November sometime.

Just a little non audio update. I received my intake and should be getting it installed next week. Should see about 30hp and later on I'll be adding the ecutek tune for about 70hp with the intake installed. I'll also be ordering a new crank pulley hopefully next week as well.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Don't buy too much into the power rhetoric.

The reason the Mishimoto intake gains any power is it leans out the MAFv scaling quite a bit. This is also much of the reason the car picks up additional power on stage one. If you think the car is going to pick up 30% additional peak power from just an intake and a tune, you're going to be quite disappointed.
    Last edited by zax; 11-06-2014 at 08:51 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.