Just another 2004 WRX Wagon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Just another 2004 WRX Wagon within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ill start this off by saying I bought the car in November of 2012 with 138k miles for 00. I ...

Just another 2004 WRX Wagon

Ill start this off by saying I bought the car in November of 2012 with 138k miles for $6500. I purchased it from the wife of a retired airman, it was her daily driver so it was super clean/unmolested/bone stock.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Car stayed stock til the end of the 2012 winter and as soon as it started to warm up I ordered/installed a Megan SS Catless UpPipe, Invidia V3 Divorced Wastegated Catless Downpipe, and a Gimmick Motorsports 3in catback exhaust. I opted to DEI Titanium Heat wrap the uppipe and the downpipe as well. While I had the stock exhaust manifolds off I also replaced the manifold gaskets with new ones.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Wouldn't be a subaru without Hella Horns in the grill, WRB hella horns to match

[IMG][/IMG]

After the exhaust I ended up having some issues with the power steering pump so I replaced that with no issues, then did some other maintanence like coolant flush/hoses, oil change, change the rear diff fluid/transmission fluid with Extra S gear oil.
    A little later I replaced the stock front and rear sway bars with 24mm Adjustable Whiteline swaybars with kartboy end links, and Whiteline steering rack bushings. I also replaced the stock suspension with oem replacement strut mounts, Swift Sport Wagon springs, and KYB Excel G Struts which dropped the car about an inch and a half.

Before

[IMG][/IMG]

After

Definitely lower/betterbut due to the form of the rear wheel arch's makes it have the usual saggy butt syndrom(which gets fixed later on)

Heres during the install of suspension

Stock Set up

[IMG][/IMG]

Pulled Apart

[IMG][/IMG]

New (Swift Sport Wagon Springs) vs Old Stock Springs)

[IMG][/IMG]

Rears

[IMG][/IMG]

Side by side
    Fronts on Left Rears on Right

[IMG][/IMG]

Again had to do some minor maintenance and raplaced both from cv axles and both from ball joints, then replaced the intercooler hoses with black Mishimoto intercooler hoses. I also traded out the factory shifter for a kartboy short throw shifter w/ front and rear shifter bushings, and also added a SMY Dual gauge pod to hold my Innovate LC-1 wideband gauge and Prosport manual boost gauge, to top it off a Hallman Manual Boost controller/ custom tune from a buddy of mine.

[IMG][/IMG]

What a difference that made. Next up was to upgrade the motor mounts/transmission mount with Group N stiff Motor Mounts and Trans mount. Pictures are trans mount comparisons. I can't find my motor mount pictures.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Well time for a clutch/ flywheel replacement. I chose the Exedy OEM Replacement clutch and ACT Streetlight Lightweight flywheel (which yes caused the dreaded check engine light bc of faulty misfire codes) while I was torn into the wagon in the shop I also replaced the stock turbo inlet with a Godspeed Silicone Turbo inlet, and threw on a Fumoto Drain Plug into the oil pan for easier oil changes (NO TOOLS NEEDED!) Oh and I replaced the rear license plate lights with led replacements, and all of the interior lights with LED's.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Next up some STI goodness, swapped out the WRX scooop for a black plasti dipped STI scoop

Before

[IMG][/IMG]

After

[IMG][/IMG]

Lets fix that saggy butt with some of these

[IMG][/IMG]

Time for an oil change

[IMG][/IMG]

Then a 7 star dragonball z shift knob and custom made alcantara shift boot

[IMG][/IMG]

Rear Swaybar Upgraded Mounts

[IMG][/IMG]

More STI goodness/Perrin Master Cylinder Brace

[IMG][/IMG]

Before

[IMG][/IMG]

After (crappy pic sorry)

[IMG][/IMG]

Went ahead and ordered a Porter Cable 7424XP starter kit and some Meguiars buffing compound/polish to clean her up

[IMG][/IMG]

Bought some STI air splitters and a V limited front lip and put yellow overlays on my foglights, and installed my Grimmspeed Hood Struts

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

One of the splitters got messed up so I had to pull them off along with the lip until I order new splitters
    Heres a pic of mine in front of a buddies 2011 Cosworth Built STI

[IMG][/IMG]

I'm sure I am missing some stuff I will update as needed, but this is all I can remember right now. More to follow
    Last edited by DD04wagon; 08-25-2014 at 01:38 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks great man thanks for the build log!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looking good. Keep us posted
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I love blob eye wagons. Very clean sir.
    2014 DGM Sedan

Stink Eye Mob #228

Thanks guys

Great looking wagon!

Are you tuned at all?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I have a buddy who tunes and he is the one who tuned it last, once I get my uego wideband in and get rid of the innovate wideband ill be able to properly datalog and he's going to start teaching me how to tune slowly

Nice build! I'm in the process of building my 05 wagon that's in need of a new motor. I'm still debating whether to buy the V7 STI motor or JDM 2.0 motor. I could buy the 2.0 now and get things started. Or Just wait till I have enough funds to buy the STI motor, which might take month or so..

Anyhow I was wondering what you did resolve the misfire because of the lighter flywheel? I ask because I plan to get the same or similar setup..

thanks

Actually b/c of the lightweight flywheel it shudders easily on some 1st gear starts also, didn't really do anything to resolve it, check engine light is still on, annoying but whatever, when the clutch needs replaced again I'll put oem weight back in to not have that issue anymore

Quote Originally Posted by DD04wagon View Post
    Actually b/c of the lightweight flywheel it shudders easily on some 1st gear starts also, didn't really do anything to resolve it, check engine light is still on, annoying but whatever, when the clutch needs replaced again I'll put oem weight back in to not have that issue anymore

Ok thanks.. I guess I'll stick with OEM.. After my build is complete I to have the car smog and inspected so I can't have engine lights on..

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.