14 WRB WRX Hatch - AKA "Sonic"
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 14 WRB WRX Hatch - AKA "Sonic" within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This is my base model WRX. As it says in the title of the thread it is a 2014 WRB ...

14 WRB WRX Hatch - AKA "Sonic"

This is my base model WRX. As it says in the title of the thread it is a 2014 WRB Hatchback. I bought it in February 2014 and I imagine it was one of the last 2014 models available brand new at the time. Especially in Oklahoma where WRXs are pretty rare anyway. I had lusted after the WRX since the blobeye came out and I sat in one as a preteen in some auto show a friends dad took me to. It is my daily car for the present, so i'm not going too hard after it for now, but I will be getting to stage one in the next several months. These are obviously the stock photos in this post. I will follow up with the a post for each project completed on the car as we go along.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear after.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	86.9 KB 
ID:	160921

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sunset.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	160929
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    - '69 Chevy C-10 (HS project with dad - still have it)
    - '14 2.5L WRX Hatchback WRB aka "Sonic"
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

What is already done?
    - Geeky Stickers; amazon.com
    - Kartboy Short Throw Shifter; rallysportdirect.com
    - Kartboy Front and Rear Shifter Bushings: rallysportdirect.com
    - Vinyl Tail Light Overlays; premiumautostyling.com
    - Emblem Delete - Custom done by me
    - Cobb AP v3 (Stage 1 - 91ACN map) - 10th anniversary Edition; cobbtuning.com

Next Workday - Soon
    - Kartboy brushed Aluminium front plate delete (have it, just waiting for time)
    - Hella Horn Kit (have it); Subimods.com
    - LED replacement bulbs for Interior, Backup, and License Plate (have them)
    - Additional Vinyl overlays for fog lights, third brake light, rear reflectors, and fender accent (have them)

Plans for the near future (Stage 1):
    - Invidia Q300 Catback w/ Titanium Tips
    - Kartboy Pitchstop Mount
    - Quality 2-way 6.5" speakers for all doors
    - Quality GPS Navigation and Stereo Head Unit (may wait awhile)
    - HD Back-up camera
    - Quality 10" or 12" Subwoofer w/ custom enclosure in Hatch (may wait awhile)
    - Paint Calipers and Fender Badge to match (i'm thinking matte orange, but not sure yet)

When Warantee is up (Stage 2)?
    - Down-pipe upgrade of some sort (Probably Cobb or Invidia)
    - COBB Electronic Boost Controller
    - COBB SF Intake and Box
    - Pro-tuning
    - Front and Rear Swaybars
    - Kartboy Endlinks
    - Wheels and Tires

Eventualities?
    - Front Rotors & Calipers, Rear Rotors, Braided Brake lines
    - Turbo Upgrade
    - External Wastegate
    - Equal Length Headers
    - Larger Injectors
    - Fuel Pump
    - E85 potentially
    -

Parts for sale (please make offers):
    - Grimmspeed Crosspipe (ceramic coated); HiFlow Exhaust Manifold Crosspipe 02-05/08+ WRX, ALL STi/LGT - GrimmSpeed
    - Grimmspeed EWG Up-pipe (ceramic coated); Up Pipe - WRX/STI/LGT/FXT - GrimmSpeed
    - Tial 44mm Waste Gate; OAKOS Automotive - STi & WRX Performance Parts: TiAL MV-R Wastegate (44mm, V-Band)

Suggestions and Feedback is more than welcome!
    Last edited by GeOkie86; 08-17-2014 at 12:07 PM.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK
    "If you can do something about it, then why worry; if you can't do anything about it, then why worry?" - Buddhist Philosophy

- David
    Tulsa, OK

Here are some photos of the Vinyl Overlay install. We found it much easier to get it right if you take the outside lights off after lining up with the inside lights overlay. It isn't perfect, but it I'm proud of it for a first timer.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attach...1&d=1407629996

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/attach...1&d=1407630047
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rear Before.jpg   overlay work.jpg   overlay off.jpg   overlay off 2.jpg   rear after.jpg  

- David
    Tulsa, OK

Car is looking great man! Question, I too am wanting to do the red overlays on the rear tail lights like you. How hard was it doing this yourself? What all tools did you use. On their website it says that they recommend buying the Felt Edge Squeegee. Did you purchase that? did it truly help? Thanks!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

Thank you!

I would say it is challenging but with two of us it worked out well. If you want perfection I would have someone who works with the stuff more do it. If you are like me and you can accept something less than perfect for the satisfaction that you did it yourself, and you feel confident, then you should at least try it. Especially if you can afford the money to buy new ones if you screw up. The vinyls themselves with the squeegee and shipping i believe was under $50 so I figured I would try and install it and if I screwed it up it wouldn't be too expensive of a mistake. I didn't price it but i would imagine a tint shop would do this job for relatively cheap (just in case you don't feel confident). Not knowing what your talents and whatnot are its hard for me to say if you should try it.

The video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnZSwlR4To4 ... is made by the premium auto styling and was very helpful.

Things you will need:

Heat Gun - must have, it helps to stretch the vinyl to conform to the shape of the lights (don't use too much heat though). I also used the heat to tidy up the outside bits after they are trimmed off. Just trim them, then hit them with some heat, and then stick them down to into the seams around the lights.

Spray Bottle w/ H2O - must have, it helps the squeegee to stay lubricated so you can work the bubbles out and it helps keep the sticky material on the underside of the vinyl from coming off onto your fingers as much. In the video i linked he claims it will help you position the vinyls after they are on the lights. In our experience this is not the case. The underside is too adhesive to be pushed into position. Although it isn't difficult to pull back and re-set. Don't be afraid to pull and stretch the material to get it to conform to the shape you want. It can be stretched too far, but you will get a feel for it.

Squeegee - Must have. I don't know if you have to have the felt one they sell, but it seemed to help to get bigger bubbles out. If you have a small squeegee (like hand width or less) you are comfortable with i'm sure it will work for you. The use of the squeegee will be obvious. Use your thumb squeegee some too.

Large Phillips - Ideally. As I stated in the previous post about the vinyls, we took the passenger side light off after doing the drivers side on the car. It turned out way better; partially because it was the last one we did, but more because of the method. We lined up the cuts with the vinyl which was already installed on the portion of the lights that are on the hatch, then took the bolts out and pulled the light off to finish.

That should about cover it.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I Support ClubWRX
    Everything looks great man! Those shifter bushings were a pain in the ass to install! Did mine last week! I found the downpipe install I did two days ago was SO much easier than that. Just do yourself a favor and vacuum man!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

I saw a video on YouTube where they suggested taking the whole shifter out through the bottom and putting the bushings on then sticking it back up there. It turned out pretty simple that way i thought. The bolts for the rear were pretty tough to get tightened back up, but with a bit of patience it happened. Honestly the overlays were more challenging for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2COnke6cM0

I figured after I posted those someone would comment on my messy floors. That is definitely the worst they get. lol.
    Last edited by GeOkie86; 08-10-2014 at 02:31 PM. Reason: add link
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

Thanks for that run down man, much appreciated! After reading it I think I am going to give this a go myself. I have a heat gun and all of that stuff. Looks like when I get paid this week Ill be order the red overlays with the reverse light and blinker cut out, and the red third brake light overlay. Thanks again! Great informative post. Your rep is now in the green!
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Not a problem at all man! It's nice to get some street cred. Lol. Does it just increase by you number of posts or what?
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

I Support ClubWRX
    When I did my shifter bearings install I didn't slide the whole shifter out the bottom of the car, didn't take of the cross member, and didn't raise the transmission lol.When I work on my car I take apart as little as possible. Needless to say space was limited! I got it done though, just took a while. Didn't have any issues threading the rear bushing like other people so I was happy about that! I just like taking apart as little as possible to reduce that margin of error putting it back together. A bunch of people told me to take the intercooler out when installing my downpipe. I decided to leave it on and with the right tools it was really easy to get everything off. If you have an older wtx/sti then you pretty much have to take it off, but we have the newer gen wrx's so with the smaller intercooler it is easy to work around it.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

Quote Originally Posted by GeOkie86 View Post
    Not a problem at all man! It's nice to get some street cred. Lol. Does it just increase by you number of posts or what?
    No, when logged in if you look at someone else's post there is a little sheriff star on the bottom left. If you find the post useful/helpful/etc. Click on the star and give them a rating! You can also give bad rating's via the same way.
    Stink-Eye Mob #301

Ah I see thanks for the info. I look forward to being around here off and on for a long time.
    - David
    Tulsa, OK

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.