My Dream Car Has Finally Arrived.. TIME TO PERSONALIZE! - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

This is a discussion on My Dream Car Has Finally Arrived.. TIME TO PERSONALIZE! within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by TownLine500 I will install pillar pods myself but to install gauges I'll go to my buddy's shop ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I will install pillar pods myself but to install gauges I'll go to my buddy's shop in Quincy, I don't have the tools plus it gets me out of the house and doing something.
    You are LUCKY you have access to a lift man! I wish I did! Let me know how the guages are! When are you installing everything?
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Here's a pic for the road!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140810_164219.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	113.3 KB 
ID:	161297
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Torqued Performance Stage 2, Invidia Catless Divorced Wastegate Downpipe, Perrin Heat Shield, Cobb Knob, Kartboy Short Shifter, Kartboy Front & Rear Shifter Bushings, STRi 52mm Amber Boost Gauge, SMY ClusterMaker Pod, Subaru OEM Black WRX Ornaments

I Support ClubWRX
    So I'm going to take a wack at installing the boost gauge tonight! Going to be a little while before I can buy the oil pressure gauge and the smy cluster. Well update more when I'm not on my cell.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Alright so the boost gauge install didn't go that great. I really didn't want to tear the interior apart to route all the wires so I cracked and bought the SMY Cluster Pod with a blank for the second pod and am going to get it installed at wicked innovations since they only charge $47.50 for the install which isn't that steep.
    Next mods are an STRi oil pressure gauge, Invidia Q300, Tomei UEL headers, Red Hella Tones, Slotted Rotors, stainless steel brake lines, and other mods I'm still trying to figure out!

Stay tuned!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    This is how the nice cars park at work

Name:	20140814_091645.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	161881
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Just a suggestion...don't bother wasting money on the UEL headers. You will see negligible gains with the exception of possible little bit quicker spool.

EL headers are worth it...but you lose the boxer rumble (the rumble of inefficiency). You will end up sounding more like an Evo or a Porsche though
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Haha yea I actually meant to type EL headers. Still trying to decide on that one though. Don't know if I want to give up the boxer rumble for performance. Sounds like it shouldn't even be a question but I just love that sounds so much!! I'm sure I'll get used to the EL headers though.
    So I installed the Grimmspeed adapter for my spt exhaust and downpipe today since the Dp Is 3"all the way through and the flange on the spt catback started bending before the donut would compress all the way so I can still see the donut and there is a space between the adapter and the catback.is that ok?
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Low light picture

Name:	20140814_192022.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	161985
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRXJosh View Post
    Low light picture

Name:	20140814_192022.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	161985

That's why I cut that off and welded the piece my friend made. As far as headers. Killer B motor sports equal length headers. They are awesome but expensive. My friend just ordered some. You can get internal or external waste gates. I'm saving up for those, best I've seen around.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

Quote Originally Posted by SubaruWRXJosh View Post
    Haha yea I actually meant to type EL headers. Still trying to decide on that one though. Don't know if I want to give up the boxer rumble for performance. Sounds like it shouldn't even be a question but I just love that sounds so much!! I'm sure I'll get used to the EL headers though.
    So I installed the Grimmspeed adapter for my spt exhaust and downpipe today since the Dp Is 3"all the way through and the flange on the spt catback started bending before the donut would compress all the way so I can still see the donut and there is a space between the adapter and the catback.is that ok?
    Ahhhh gotcha. Yeah I'm not getting EL headers because one of the reasons I get Subarus is because of the rumble. I know its worth it in the long run, especially if you're going a bit past Stage 2, but I just don't want to

I'm willing to bed that you have a bit of an exhaust leak. If things aren't lined up perfectly, you're probably not sealed up all the way. I've experienced that myself.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Maybe I should do a little sanding in the spt? Maybe a bit of build up Is what is making the fit not kosher. Can I re use the donut if I take it apart? It's only one day old.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

Woo! Build thread fouuuund lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Woo! Build thread fouuuund lol
    Welcome!
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    So I made an appointment to get my boost gauge installed for Tuesday... then I went home and installed it myself!!! lol Everything went really smooth and I didn't run into even one issue. Very happy with how it came out. Wiring is CLEAN and the boost gauge works perfectly! Enjoy some crap quality pics! I've circled the wires that goes to the boost gauge in these pics so you can see how I did it. If anyone is interested in doing theirs and has questions feel free to ask I'll be happy to help!

Review & Installation

So first I took out this off. Take off the two clips under the side skirt and pull that off a little bit. Then take off the piece of the car that has the black WRX ornament on it (not sure what its called). Then you can take the 5 clips off the wheel well and peel that off to gain access to the grommet that allows you to run the wire through to the inside of the car.

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	162121

Now I installed the boost sensor and hid the excess wiring behind the fuse box. I then slid the rest of the wire down this hole which lets it drop down the wheel well.

Name:	3.jpg 
Size:	91.5 KB 
ID:	162137

There is a clip above the wheel well that you can tuck the boost wire in.

This grommet is an absolute pain in the butt to make a hole in. Any puncture to it and it just closes right up. I tried many different tools here some of which include drilling, many flat heads, and a big philips head. In the end I found the best way was to get through it with a big flat head and the sticking a pair of needle nose pliers in there and opening them to rip the grommet. After about a half hour I was able to insert the end of the wire and then push it through with a flat head.

Name:	5.jpg 
Size:	74.8 KB 
ID:	162129

Next I attached the wiring to the fuse box. I went to a bunch of stores to try to find an add-a-circuit, but none of the stores had the right size so I just stuck the wiring in there and put the fuse in. Very snug fit so I don't see anything bad happening.

Now it's cable management time! Some work with zip ties and I got everything hidden away neatly. There are lots of areas to zip tie here so it's all personal preference!

Moment of truth. I turn the car on, let her warm up, and then take it for a ride. Boost gauge is spot on hitting 19.5 PSI at WOT in third gear. Very responsive, and I like that there is a warning feature which I set at 20 PSI.

Love the gauge and I'm happy I didn't let someone else do the work for me. The satisfaction of working on your own car is totally worth the money saved and getting your hands dirty!
    Last edited by SubaruWRXJosh; 11-02-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    I guess I've exceeded my quota for pics so I can't upload the rest
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.