15 WRX stock vs COBB AP V3 stage 1
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 15 WRX stock vs COBB AP V3 stage 1 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey fellas, I know it is early in the game, but I thought I would start a thread. I am ...

15 WRX stock vs COBB AP V3 stage 1

Hey fellas, I know it is early in the game, but I thought I would start a thread. I am about to purchase the AP, and am curious what differences people are seeing/feeling after flashing to an AP OTS map? Has anyone put theirs on a dyno? Noticeable difference in feel of torque, acceleration etc? Thanks in advance! I will post my thoughts once flashed.
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

2015 CWP WRX Premium
    Warranty friendly mods for now-

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fellas, surely you have some input by now? Gizmo?

2015 CWP WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Sorry, I haven't hit my break-in mark yet. I can tell you that under 4000rpm, the throttle delivery is much more linear and smooth. So it is easier to drive the car slow and in traffic, this was actually a huge improvement for me and reason enough to buy it.

I'm at 850 miles now, so I'm thinking another month until I get over that 1000 mark. By the time I'm over the break-in, I'll have probably forgotten what the stock map feels like.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    Sorry, I haven't hit my break-in mark yet. I can tell you that under 4000rpm, the throttle delivery is much more linear and smooth. So it is easier to drive the car slow and in traffic, this was actually a huge improvement for me and reason enough to buy it.

I'm at 850 miles now, so I'm thinking another month until I get over that 1000 mark. By the time I'm over the break-in, I'll have probably forgotten what the stock map feels like.
    Good to hear, thanks Gizmo. Question, did the AP come with an OTS for 92, or just 91 and 93? I am running 92 here, and am about to purchase the AP.

2015 CWP WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    Good to hear, thanks Gizmo. Question, did the AP come with an OTS for 92, or just 91 and 93? I am running 92 here, and am about to purchase the AP.
    Just the 91 and 93 that are available on the cobbtuning.com website. I actually run the 91 map even though I fill up with 93. I haven't researched the quality of gas around me yet and won't be tracking, so the 91 gets me along nicely.

Well i have been running the 93 octane stage 1 map for about 2 weeks now. First gear in the 2015 is so quick you don't even notice a difference but when you push it into second gear, it feels like first gear all over again. Second gear is so much faster then it was before.

Quote Originally Posted by gizmo0034 View Post
    Just the 91 and 93 that are available on the cobbtuning.com website. I actually run the 91 map even though I fill up with 93. I haven't researched the quality of gas around me yet and won't be tracking, so the 91 gets me along nicely.
    I do the same thing on my 2014 and run the 91 OTS tune. This is mainly b/c I have a bunch of Wawa's (you who don't know Wawa haven't lived) around by me and they're bastards and sell 92 octane.

Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    I do the same thing on my 2014 and run the 91 OTS tune. This is mainly b/c I have a bunch of Wawa's (you who don't know Wawa haven't lived) around by me and they're bastards and sell 92 octane.
    How are your logs man? My wife is from Cherry Hill. all too familiar with hitting the Wawa to tap the Mac.

2015 CWP WRX Premium

Stage1 Thoughts:

For redundancy I'll just say, fairly happy with the stg1 map from Cobb thus far. I feel as though I have more control over the boost levels with more linear throttled induced boosting. Meaning, if i just tap the gas pedal a little bit and i'm under 2500-2800~ rpms, i'm not seeing the boost spike as previous. I have not really noticed the throttle drop at idle or anything like other people have said yet. I'm not noticing increased temps either (so far, need to get more datalogs) This makes it easier to stay out of boost during the low RPMS (traffic for example) and makes the car a whole lot more predictable. Keep it up over there Lance and team. Car is just stg1 AP and dropin filter. Feels a lot smoother in every aspect. Will compare data logs and update from before/after the stg1 mapping. If anyone is interested I'll update this post with the results. Still need to find an adequate way to run the cable and hook up the AP, but thus far, fairly happy with the flash.

I can see how people would suggest it's slower on the buttdyno. The car it setup completely different, and it's more stable than the stock tune in my opinion from a power/boost perspective. I havn't pushed it harder on high RPMS to tell you but I expect it'll feel really good the whole way to redline.

Also talked to someone over at cobb with my logs, they say I'm missing some crucial things here, so I'm going to be resetting the log counters and seeing what else comes up. I'm debating going back to stg0 for an accurate before/after log comparison, but stg1 feels very good with boost control and throttle response, so I'm pretty content right now. Much more predictable.

Stg1:

datazap.me | pitbull008 | Stg1wrx2015_cobb
    datazap.me | pitbull008 | Stg1wrx2015_cobb

datazap.me | pitbull008 | Stg1wrx2015_cobb-1
    datazap.me | pitbull008 | Stg1wrx2015_cobb-1

Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    How are your logs man? My wife is from Cherry Hill. all too familiar with hitting the Wawa to tap the Mac.

Haha for real, Wawa kills it; but I do have to say I honestly prefer Quick Check's (essentially N. Jersey Wawa) sandwhichs.

Honestly, no clue about how the logs look. Haven't logged a thing. I uploaded the 91 octane map and Ron Popeil'ed that business, set it and forget it. If I start really looking at my logs I know I'm going to start going down the long, dark, winding path of self tuning and installing literaly All of the Guages, like I did with my DSM lol.

The car runs way better than stock with the AP OTS maps though. I mean like damn light years, even in closed loop crusing.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    Haha for real, Wawa kills it; but I do have to say I honestly prefer Quick Check's (essentially N. Jersey Wawa) sandwhichs.

Honestly, no clue about how the logs look. Haven't logged a thing. I uploaded the 91 octane map and Ron Popeil'ed that business, set it and forget it. If I start really looking at my logs I know I'm going to start going down the long, dark, winding path of self tuning and installing literaly All of the Guages, like I did with my DSM lol.

The car runs way better than stock with the AP OTS maps though. I mean like damn light years, even in closed loop crusing.
    It's important to log when you flash any kind of tune for preventive maintenance. I log always log a test drive around the neighborhood before I start pushing the engine on a new tune.

Also Goose, I'm at 960 miles. I'm thinking a nice little 40 mile cruise tomorrow morning just to hit my mark.

I Support ClubWRX
    Look at that restraint.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dd_log.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	34.2 KB 
ID:	160689

So, what I have gathered from this thread, and others, the common consensus is that with the COBB OTS stage 1 map, the throttle response is now linear. Has anyone contacted COBB to see what all they found "wrong" with the stock tune, such as lean, timing, etc? I have yet to order the AP, but will soon. Finally sold my OEM wheels that my dealer let me keep(ordered the sport package), so the AP is next.

2015 CWP WRX Premium

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't think I've read any detailed information regarding what was changed. Cobb's notes are pretty vague: https://cobb.app.box.com/2015-WRX-map-notes
    v105 –
     Revised ignition timing, primary fueling, camshaft timing, closed / open loop transition thresholds and
    boost levels for performance and safety.
     Optimized throttle mapping for improved take-off and more linear response across accelerator pedal range.
     Factory fueling and timing strategies streamlined for ease-of-calibration and consistency following a key-
    off
    and restart sequence.

 Per-Gear Timing Compensations revised for safety and enabled for 6th gear (OEM logic only allows for compensating gears 1-5).

I think the linear throttle is the most noticeable change in the stage 1 map, and I believe it is only truly linear in the low rpm range. I just realized that if I want to really compare the stock to stage 1 mapping, I'm going to have to reflash. I have no idea how the car runs in the higher rpms on a stock map.

It runs like crap Gizmo. The power drops off after about 5200~ so there's no point in redlining. With Cobb, you can really feel the power the whole way to redline. I'm going to be interested to see how that does in autocross this weekend.

I've talked to Cobb a bunch about a ton of things and they either a) aren't ready to release information to the public, or b) still trying to figure out the ins/outs of the fa20dit. All of the things I've read regarding the older EJ motors is mostly irrelevant.

Here's a bit from the email from Cobb, I asked them:I wanted to just get a quick professional look at these logs and for you to tell me what values I should be watching, to make sure my motor doesn't so squirrelly things.
    Is the AP designed to warn me if something is hitting too high, or is it going to be a complete manual log reading process?

I found this url: https://cobbtuning.zendesk.com/hc/en...ck-on-a-Subaru
    but I'm curious as to what information directly carries over in terms of reading levels or whatever on the fa20dit, compared to the EJ series of cars..

Cobb's Response:

As for the AP telling you when something hits too high, that is not a feature we currently have support for (though user adjustable/selectable high/low warning is a feature set we're looking into).

In regards to what information carries over from the previous EJ motors to the new FA20s, very little actually which is why there is a lot of misinformation and lack of understanding regarding what people are seeing in the new logs from the 2015 WRX. Specifically, the new cars ECU is significantly more advanced and is generally aggressively adjusting timing for the best fuel economy. One side effect of this new tuning strategy is a DAM that is much more active, and overall timing adjustments that are much more active.

Let me know if you have any additional questions!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.