15 WRX stock vs COBB AP V3 stage 1 - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

This is a discussion on 15 WRX stock vs COBB AP V3 stage 1 within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; It runs like crap Gizmo. The power drops off after about 5200~ so there's no point in redlining. With Cobb, ...

It runs like crap Gizmo. The power drops off after about 5200~ so there's no point in redlining. With Cobb, you can really feel the power the whole way to redline.

PB, thanks for your post. I am a bit confused with what I quoted above, did you mean to say "can't" really feel the power?
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Goose42 View Post
    It runs like crap Gizmo. The power drops off after about 5200~ so there's no point in redlining. With Cobb, you can really feel the power the whole way to redline.

PB, thanks for your post. I am a bit confused with what I quoted above, did you mean to say "can't" really feel the power?
    I read it as the stock map runs like crap and drops off. The Cobb map has power all the way through.

Yes exactly. Stock map loses power and is sporadic boosting on low rpm, cobb fixes both things and changes throttle response.

Thanks PB and Gizmo, clear now. I am still at the office, and obviously not thinking clearly, long day. Obviously not working either, too consumed by the forums
    Drive like hell, you will get there faster!

Warranty friendly mods for now-
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ml#post3579257

I Support ClubWRX
    dyno comparison from NASIOC:
    Base Line Dyno Plot:

Talk about a heart breaker.

Peak Boost : 22.4
    Results: 211 whp / 239 TQ

Cobb Stage 1 v108 93 octane Dyno Pull:

The Peak Number results: +14 /+5
    Peak Boost : 19.2
    Results: 225 whp / 244 TQ

From my buttdyno perspective, the throttle changes and the lack of early boost makes it a no brainer for me. But the aggressive knock sensors are what plays a part here. Not to mention Cobb is conservatively releasing tunes and as they better understand the fa20dit I think you'll see different dyno results in the coming month(s). The stock motor can push out much more boost I think than what Cobb is tuning, but they want to be conservative. If my car stock without the AP boosts upto 22psi and then caps back towards 19, I'd suggest the car can handle between 20-22psi, but i dont know much here - just a lot of speculation.

I am happy to see a thread on this. I am considering the Cobb AP but want to learn more about it first. Thank you for all of you that are taking the time to share your thoughts.

Wants to Sell His Honyota Civilander..Any Takers? BigDaddyRex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbull008 View Post
    From my buttdyno perspective, the throttle changes and the lack of early boost makes it a no brainer for me. But the aggressive knock sensors are what plays a part here. Not to mention Cobb is conservatively releasing tunes and as they better understand the fa20dit I think you'll see different dyno results in the coming month(s). The stock motor can push out much more boost I think than what Cobb is tuning, but they want to be conservative. If my car stock without the AP boosts upto 22psi and then caps back towards 19, I'd suggest the car can handle between 20-22psi, but i dont know much here - just a lot of speculation.
    Cobb has always been known for staying on the conservative side, as risk is not good for business. The big question will be not only what can the engine handle - but what will boost increases do to engine longevity? Most owners aren't looking for a tune that will reduce engine life - they are looking for that sweet spot between increased power and keeping your engine intact. A lot of people buy Subies expecting to get 100,000 to 150,000+ miles out of them. The smaller motor will take a while to show what it can handle and for how long. Expect Cobb to stay on the conservative side of that equation. There are plenty of tuners out there who will be happy to push for higher power levels if so desired.
    - Chris
    2011 WRX DGM (The Fastest Color) 5DR
    Cobb AP Stage 2 93, Cobb DP, RAs, STS (the dream comes true ...)

Oh I agree 100%. Tuners are there for custom tunes or to push your car if you want to. We're thankful to have good aggressive knock sensors that can be used to get a good stable amount of power out of these motors and hopefully not blow anything up. I have some other thoughts about the Cobb tune, but waiting to gather data before posting, I'm seeing some negative fine learn knock during WOT, and yesterday during my autocross run I saw some neg. degrees of feedback knock as well. My DAM isn't changed though.. So i'm actually debating going back to stock here shortly till a new firmware releases, i'm still trying to determine if what I'm seeing is "normal" or "acceptable" based on research and talking to Cobb and a few other tuners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12