Subaru WRX Forum banner

My 2002 WRX Build - Bonnie

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Trumpcard 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all, as promised here is my build thread. It will be modest for the most part as financial limitations prevent me from doing a lot at once, so be patient! :tongue:

Her name is Bonnie, after the Bonnie Blue Flag.

As she sat the day I bought her. Little did I know what all she had waiting for me... lol
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Rim

A previous owner had it tinted and must have removed it at some point because the adhesive was left all over the rear window. Took forever to get it off, but the tinter (IAG Performance) did an amazing job. 40% all around.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru

On the same day as the tinting, I also had the brakes upgraded since the stockers were at the end of their life span. DBA 4000 series rotors, Ferodo DS2500 pads, Motul 5.1 fluid, and Technafit SS lines.
Auto part Tire Automotive wheel system Wheel Technology

Picked up a set of Hella Horns and a harness to get that good front end look. Pretty standard for us Subies, but I still like it.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Grille Bumper

Initially had her checked out mechanically after purchase to make sure it ran well. She passed the boost leak and compression tests so it was time to work on the drivetrain. The first things needing repair were the brakes. So that's why those got upgraded first. Since then, the front lower ball joints have been replaced with OEM BJs, they will be replaced again later on with a Whiteline roll center kit to allow for lowering when the time comes. Next on the list were the front axles, the inner boots on both had been corroded and ripped to the point they were useless. So those were replaced. When I picked it up from the dealer, they told me the car was "stock" but I found out that wasn't the case with one look at it. It had an Invidia Uppipe, Catless downpipe, and Q200 CBE installed. Since the car didn't come with an COBB AP, I purchased one because neither IAG or myself believed the car had been tuned after the mods were installed. We were correct, Stage 2 loaded with no problems and the car was driven to make sure everything worked as it was supposed to. No problems whatsoever.

I'm still hearing a grinding noise coming from the front passenger side wheel well so I think that hub may have a bad bearing, next time it's on the lift I'll have the tech look at that and see if it needs to be replaced...

On Deck to be installed in July:
Invidia Divorced Catted DP
COBB SF Intake + Air Box
Technafit SS Brake Lines

Planned for the Fall/Winter:
Stereo!

Planned for Spring 2015:
Wheels/Tires

For the proposed build, this is what I've researched and planned for over the life of the car, feel free to comment/critique on what you think would be better, but please keep it constructive.

Disclaimers:
1. I want to keep the UEL header for sound, but that will come late in the build as I've understood the OEM manifolds are actually pretty good.
2. For my finances/build plan, a TMIC will work better than a FMIC as I am not planning on upgrading the turbo or building the motor for a few years at least.

Parts in RED have not been installed yet, parts in GREEN have been installed.

Engine
COBB AccessPort Stage 2 v310
Invidia Catted Downpipe
COBB SF Intake + Airbox
COBB 3" CBE (Possibly Invidia N1 Street, depending on when I can hear each in person)
GrimmSpeed TMIC
GrimmSpeed TMIC Splitter
IAG AOS
Tomei UEL Header w. Uppipe
Perrin Lightweight Crank Pulley
PST CF Driveshaft
Mishimoto Intercooler Hose (Red)

FHI Radiator Cap

Interior
COBB Shift Knob 5MT Blue
Kartboy Short Shifter
Kartboy Shifter Bushings
Kartboy Shifter Bushing Rear
WeatherTech Floorliners F/R

Kenwood DNX771HD HU -OR-
Kenwood DNX891HD HU
Kenwood CMOS220 Backup Camera
Speakers
Speaker Amplifier

OEM Right Rear Door Bezel

Eventually the body will need/get a full repaint, and the body elements won't come into play until that's ready to go so these are low on the priority list.

Exterior
Hella Supertone Horns
STi Hood Scoop
STi Rear Diffuser
Cusco Rear Diffuser Bracket
Sti Diffuser Bolt (4 Req)
RA UR Mudflaps (Blue Logo)
GrimmSpeed Hood Struts
STi Trunk w. Wing

I've had experience with KWv3 coils on my 370Z, and those are a bit costly for what I want. I've also had FortuneAuto 500's on my car and was pleased, just never had a chance to really test them. ISC offers all of the same qualities, for a lower price. I would really appreciate any advice/comments anyone has on the ISCs or FAs for the bugeye. It's also been recommended to get the BC BR's, but in the 370Z community, they had several problems which makes me hesitant to buy them for this car.

Suspension
Super Pro LCA + Endlinks + AL Kit
ISC N1 Coilovers
Cusco Front Sway Bar
Cusco Rear Sway Bar
Kartboy Rear Endlinks
GTSpec 3 Piece Underbody Brace
Whiteline Front Rollcenter Kit

Braking
DBA 4000 Rotors Front
DBA 4000 Rotors Rear
Ferodo DS2500 Pads Front
Ferodo DS2500 Pads Rear
Technafit SS Lines

GrimSpeed Master Cylinder Brace

Wheels

XXR 527 Gold 18x8.75 +35
Michelin Pilot Super Sports 235/40/18

I was set on these wheels until I saw the new OZ Leggera HLT :eek3:

Not sure what to do now... lol :confused1:

For the daily work, the liquids...

Maintenance Stuffs
Motul 8100 5w30
Purolator PL14460
Motul DOT 5.1 Brake Fluid

Thanks for reading, and I'll continue to post updates as time goes along.

See less See more
#2 ·
New Cabin Filter Installed

Today I put in a new Cabin Filter.

Text Leg Material property Grass Plant

Fram FreshBreeze CF10377

Ordered from Amazon and its a perfect fit. The side with the part number and airflow direction arrow should be facing out of the unit and will be covered by the door.

I've been using these in all my cars and love them. I replace them once a year.

#3 ·
Car looks good man. Plans seem to be pretty well put together. May i make a suggestion though. Your body style has the dreaded CAT in the uppipe. It should be replaced ASAP with a catless uppipe. Reason being, they have been known to come apart and wipe out turbos. And whenever you put your aftermarket DP on is the best time to do it, as youll be right there. Grimmspeed makes a good one.

Also, I see that you have no kind of engine management listed. You will need a tune with the DP and the intake. The accessport from cobb is most popular.

#4 ·
Dammit! I knew I forgot to add something to the list lol

When I purchased it, I was told that it was stock... They lied. It has an (I'm assuming) Invidia Uppipe (catless), and Invidia Catless DP and Invidia Q200 CBE on it currently. When they swapped the Axles, I purchased a COBB AP and loaded the Stage 2 tune on it immediately. (I had not driven it hard prior to that because it did not come with an AP and the dealer did not know if it had been tuned or not).

Currently running Stage 2 v310. IAG took it for a spin after loading it to make sure we were hitting target boost, and she was doing good. Maxing out @ 14.90psi.

I'll edit the OP, thanks for the catch!

#5 ·
Today was a productive day!

Went to IAG Performance in Westminster, MD, and:

Swapped my catless Invidia Downpipe for a Catted Downpipe
Installed SS Brake Lines
Installed a Cobb Turboshield

Personally installed a Cobb SF Intake + Airbox. That was fun.

Then took the car out and let the ECU learn the new flows and bed in the brakes.

At the end of the day, I am a happily satisfied subie driver. :D

#6 ·
Avoid the XXRs and get the OZs. Otherwise, nice build thread :thumbup:

#7 ·
Keep up the work man! Did IAG put Bonnie on the dyno, curious to see whp at this point? Go with the Oz:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.