2014 CyoHatch

This is a discussion on 2014 CyoHatch within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Finally pulled my hands out of the pockets and pulled the trigger on buying the car I wanted about a ...

2014 CyoHatch

Finally pulled my hands out of the pockets and pulled the trigger on buying the car I wanted about a month ago.
    So far, it's everything I expected it would be, and at this point in my life, it's the nicest thing I've ever owned.
    I really am looking forward to learning more about Subaru's and the mechanics of these engines, and the characteristics of an AWD suspension.
    Along the way I plan on upgrading a few things and as of now there isn't going to be a laundry list of mods that I see in most build threads. Not hating, to each their own, but my preference is to have safe, reliable power, handling, and stoppage, without getting too flashy on looks.
    This IS my daily driver and will remain just that for the time being. I will try and update as often as I can, but unfortunately I don't have copious amounts of extra funds to buy a major mod every week, so I'll do the best I can in keeping this relevant and with lots of photo's.

(This Black B*tch needs a nickname btw so help me out)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3647.jpg 
Views:	130 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	153137

First weekend was not friendly on the gas tank as I drove this thing all over town, but was really fun. Went up the mountain here in Tucson, and then had a evening BBQ and swim with some friends later.

Name:	IMG_3720.jpg 
Size:	115.9 KB 
ID:	153145

Name:	IMG_3684.jpg 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	153153

Just last weekend I took about 3 hours and just went to town on a wash and wax.
    (Turtle carnuba wax and some random wheel cleaner)

Name:	photo 3.jpg 
Size:	163.9 KB 
ID:	153161

Went out with lady friend to visit her mums place way out in Vail. Little cookie cutter residence but the mountain view wasn't bad. Really wanting to go lower already and have a few ideas in mind.

Name:	IMG_3816.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	153169

BUILD PLANS
    Suspension:
    Whiteline Sway bars (undecided size)
    Kartboy adjustable Endlinks
    Stance Coilovers (ST-GRF-SS)

Brakes:
    Wilwood big brake kit
    Upgraded lines and fluid

Wheels and tires:
    A couple options here.
    RPF-1, Enkei Raijin, Work XT7, and am open for sugestions. I'm not closed minded to style, brand, price. i simply want something I'll like that will also look unique. (size entireley depends on the suspension setup I'll have at the moment)
    As I live in Arizona, I'll only need one year around set. The winters here aren't harsh at all.

When it comes to tires, I'll admit, I haven't the slightest clue what i want or what I need, or what is redundant for daily driving purposes.
    The width, the stretch, the meat etc. So for now I'll leave tires TBD, and I ask that some of the experienced guys point me in the right direction please.

Engine and Drivetrain:
    Kartboy short shifter
    Upgraded gear oil (weight unknown ATM)
    Invidia Q300 turbo back
    Perrin Intake
    Cobb AP and tune from ESTuned in Vail, Az.

I plan on keeping all my OEM parts in case I need to take it into the dealer for work, but after the warranty is up:
    Port and polish block and heads
    Aluminum Pistons and rods (shorter compression)
    272 Crower stage 2 Camshafts
    Supporting mods (valves, rocker arms, etc)
    Haven't even thought about turbine and intercooler, or if I want to stay TMIC or FMIC.

Aero/AestheticsBrah:
    Premium Auto Styling red tail light overlays (shipping and on their way now)
    Modgeeks retrofit headlights with HiD low beams
    Lamin-x tint headlight overlays
    15% window tint all the way around from Danny Do in Tucson, Az.
    Fog light assembly
    Forcewerkz front lip and rear diffuser
    Hella Horns

and I'm skeptical buy maybe a front end splitter. I'm not sure yet though.

Paint:
    Exterior: Rootbeer Brown
    Wheels: Coffee Cream

Interior:
    Cobb black over white shift knob
    Floor panel LED's

Audio:
    Polk speakers (factory size)
    10" Sub unknown brand
    Unknown Amplifier
    Dynamat vibration negator
    The separation, is in the preparation.-Russell C Wilson-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

congrats on the purchase! seems like you already have a nice mod list planned. enjoy the car

Quick update: I finally got my tail light overlays installed last night. For anyone wondering where I got them, I chose to purchase from Premium Auto Styling. I follow them on IG and like the look of their products. They're located in Fontana, CA. Quality of the product is great. The install wasn't hard, but requires a lot of patience. Don't rush this. The slower you go, the better the outcome. SmurfinWRX on Youtube has a great install video for these and I used it for reference.

My experience with Premium Auto Styling though is what threw me off . It took them an entire week to receive and process my order as it was in a "pending fufillment" for like I said, about a week. THEN, another week to ship them to me. (Remember they're in CA, and I'm in AZ.) When I called 3 days in a row, multiple times a day to ask the status of my order, they never answered the phone once. I emailed them. No response. My friends are telling me to relax and that the shipment time is normal on any car related part. Anyways my review:

Product quality:10/10 this was a very durable vinyl that really mended to what I wanted it to do with heat and water.
    Aesthetics: 10/10 the look (red) is very close to OEM Red and makes the rear end look 10x better.
    Price:8/10 I really can't complain, even with shipping I couldn't find a better quality product for $33 OTD
    Customer Service 1/10: As mentioned. Absolutely no communication and other reviews suggest the same.

Overall I am pleasantly impressed with PAS product but because of my experience with them my next vinyl purchase will be through LaminX.
    Enough BS here is the sauce.

Name:	Tail light overlays.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	79.7 KB 
ID:	153657

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Might I suggest adding all the shifter bushings to your planned shifter upgrade...since you have the area open during the install, this would be the time to do the bushings (front/rear stay, pivot, and linkage bushings), and this will drastically improve shifting feel. While you are at it, any bushing you can do makes a huge difference in drivetrain feel, with the compromise of NVH of course.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Welcome

Might I suggest adding all the shifter bushings to your planned shifter upgrade...since you have the area open during the install, this would be the time to do the bushings (front/rear stay, pivot, and linkage bushings), and this will drastically improve shifting feel. While you are at it, any bushing you can do makes a huge difference in drivetrain feel, with the compromise of NVH of course.
    Thanks for the advice. Any and all are welcome. weights for fluids and tire advice is much appreciated.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyoplasm View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Any and all are welcome. weights for fluids and tire advice is much appreciated.
    Tire advice would depend on the size wheel you get (for performance and price aspects I would recommend sticking with a 17x8, but a lot of people go with a 17x9 for better looks. You would want to not go too crazy on the offset, if I gave a recommendation, I would say +45 offset). I am a fan of Enkei wheels, and think they are hard to match when it comes to quality to price (unless you need a forged wheel). I am running the Enkei PF01's and love them. With a 17x8 wheel I would recommend going with a 245/40/17 tire, and with a 17x9 I would recommend going with a 255/40/17. There are a lot of good tires out there, but I am running Michelin Pilot Super Sports, and they are absolutely amazing for the price. They are a high performance summer tire, and are a very popular option. I will definitely be buying them again.

I hope this is the type of advice you were looking for on tires and was helpful. If you are looking for wheel/tire combos in a different size just reply and we will help you out

UPDATE:
    Just ordered Epic Engineering lowering springs and Rally Armor Mudflaps (red)

Also scheduled my appointment next weekend for window tint. 18% Suntek film all the way around for anyone who cares.
    Hopefuly by Sunday next weekend I'll be looking significantly different.

Got a package right now from brown Santa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Installed Mudflaps last night. Thought the red would be cool and was hoping it wasn't too flashy. It has just the right amount of "flare" and accents the tail light overlays really nicely.

Bought these from RSD and was pleasantly surprised with how quick the shipping was.

Rally armor is a little expensive but as of now there isn't really a big competitor out there so I could understand why. Product looks great and is made of urethane. The install took about an hour and I didn't take a single wheel off. Pretty easy. Gonna take some better photo's with my friend this weekend after lowering and tint. He has a DSLR. For now another Iphone pic edit from Instagram.
    If you guys are on there you can follow me @ Cyoplasm.

Name:	Rally armor QT.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	154961

Lowered 1.2 inches on Epic Engineering springs. Shouts to RSD for the quick delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8/25 update: It's been about a month, and still nothing major. Been enjoying every day. I recently got my fish bowl taken care of and got it tinted. Honestly, the best money spent for comfort factors. Living in Az, the summers in a black car without tint were wild even with the AC.

Name:	tint.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	141.5 KB 
ID:	163393

Also, took it up MT. Lemon last weekend and it did really well. The car is extremely confidence inducing. Had a little BBQ and took one of the pups up.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Atilla driving.jpg 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	163401

Name:	240-FD-WRX.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	163409

I'll be ordering the short shifter and bushing combo next week.
    After that, I'm looking into getting a front lip, then wheels and tires.
    I think I've got it down to Enkei Raijin or Rotiform SNA's. Going for that concave look.
    If you know of any great concave wheels, PM me plz!

Looking good! Glad you went with a good set of springs over a crappy set of coilovers!

I know some wheels are built to have a concave look, but keep in mind a concaved look is mostly due to the offset of the wheel. You aren't going to want to go much lower than a +38 offset on a GR generation Subaru.

Enkei Raijin is a good wheel. Almost anything Enkei is...decent price for a durable, well made wheel. Many of which are a good weight as well.

Just stay away from XXR wheels.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying