gizmo's 2015 GBP WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on gizmo's 2015 GBP WRX within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Not sure how much of a build this will be since I decided to give up my job and go ...

gizmo's 2015 GBP WRX

Not sure how much of a build this will be since I decided to give up my job and go back to school, but I'll keep it updated with some pictures at least.

2015 Galaxy Blue Pearl WRX Base
    Port Installed:
    Kicker audio upgrade (speakers, tweeters, sub/amp)
    Short throw shifter
    All-weather mats
    Center arm rest
    Body side moldings
    Security shock sensor

Others:
    2015 BBS STI wheels
    STI shift knob
    Pioneer AppRadio 3
    3M Brushed black metallic vinyl
    Skene Design front license plate bracket (medium size)
    LED front map lights
    Auto-dim rearview mirror with compass
    Nameless license plate delete

Not yet shown in pictures:
    Nameless axleback (long 5"diameter mufflers with 3.5" tips)
    40% ceramic window tint
    245/40R18 LM-60 Blizzak winter tires

Distant Future:
    Alcantara shift and emergency brake boots
    KW varient 3 coilovers
    opti-coat or cquartz

Last edited by gizmo0034; 07-09-2014 at 12:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stereo:
    When I added on the optional Kicker speakers, tweeter and sub/amp I honestly wasn't expecting much. I installed a Pioneer AppRadio3 head unit as soon as I got home from the dealership. The main reason for this was to gain access to an equalizer and navigation on the Base model WRX. After playing around with the settings I was able to get a passable sounding system, my biggest gripe is not being able to control the Kicker bass separately. I will look into creating a custom knob for it in the future. I am not a sound expert by any means, but I know when I like something and when I don't. I don't need much in my sound system and to put things in perspective, my favorite stereo so far has been in my g37 ipl with the Bose setup. The staging in that car was perfect for me, as were the bass and clarity of the speakers.

The Kicker upgrades and head unit provides clear highs and lows but I haven't been able to get the depth that I'm looking for yet. I never really feel emerged in the music unless I turn it up to an uncomfortable level. I tried playing around with sending more sound to the rear speakers but again, haven't been able to get the sound I want.

Anyways, I figured I would list my setup and everything that I needed to swap out head units in my car. The process is very simple and painless, as long as you don't get a defective screen like I did.

1. Metra 95-8905B Double DIN Dash Kit
    2. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
    3. Dashboard Dismantle Kit
    4. 20-pin Radio Harness
    5. appradio parking bypass
    6. Pioneer SPH-DA110 AppRadio 3
    7. Pioneer CDIH202
    8. Lightning cable extender
    9. Good set of harness instructions
    10. Interior removal video
    11. Stereo removal video

I routed the microphone on the steering wheel column very easily. The GPS is routed under the steering wheel, under the a-pillar and along the windshield and is mounted back on the MFD. The USB and HDMI cables are routed on the passenger's side of the shifter, tucked under the trim. I then ran them under the cup holders and drilled a hole in the center console compartment so it's hidden. Overall the install went surprisingly quickly, the longest part is definitely soldering the harness. Luckily I bought everything while I was waiting for my car, and mocked everything up before I got the car.

#############
    # Update 6/26/14 #
    #############
    Apparently Pioneer released a new application while I was in Europe. AppRadio Live is a huge improvement for the head unit, it combines the navigation, iphone music, weather and an event finder all in one screen. There are still some bugs in the system but now I'd say the AppRadio3 is a bargain headunit at $330. The previous navigation that I used was Waze, which is pretty good, but it took up the whole screen. With this new AppRadio Live, it looks like they use google maps as their map database and have it set to be a small map on the screen. So you can switch between ipod music selection and navigation much easier (safer). I'll take a video of it later.
    Last edited by gizmo0034; 06-26-2014 at 09:08 AM.

Temporary bike rack solution, yakima megajoe elite from ****'s sporting goods ($90). It'll at least get me to some local trails for riding, I wouldn't trust my heavy 29er on it while at +50mph speeds.

Last edited by gizmo0034; 07-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.

reserved 3.

reserved 4.

reserved 5.

I Support ClubWRX
    The STi wheels look awesome

Good looking car man looking towards your build!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Dude it looks sick! Definitely love the wheels and body side moldings.

We should meet up. Are you going to go to NW? PM me!
    Rovi1989
    Chicago, IL
    2014 WRX Hatchback

Wow those wheels doe! Lol man might have to jack your style a little those would look sick in bronze on my WRB '15 when it gets here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Agree with everyone else on the wheels they are looking really good on the car. Im not sure if Im a fan of the license plate that low, but it looks good.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Subscribed.

Do you have any pictures of the dash pieces from say the backseat or from looking in the car?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cflip2x View Post
    Agree with everyone else on the wheels they are looking really good on the car. Im not sure if Im a fan of the license plate that low, but it looks good.
    Thanks, I'm a big fan of the BBS wheels on the dark colors for these cars. The license plate bracket is adjustable. I have it flush with the bottom lip although it looks lower in the pictures because of its angle. I was planning on installing a delete plate, just havent gotten around to it yet. I'm thinking I like the look of the lower plate though, allows you to see more of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by 96accord View Post
    Subscribed.

Do you have any pictures of the dash pieces from say the backseat or from looking in the car?

Thanks
    Updated with a couple more interior pictures

Looks great man - I think GBP is honestly a really really nice color. I'd love to see it with a true silver wheel, I imagine it would look quite different.

I Support ClubWRX
    Agreed those wheels just compliment that color so well. The dash wrap really looks nice. Just out of curiosity is there a heat shield or some sort of shield to protect the turbo other then maybe the radiator?
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast