Subaru WRX Forum banner

gizmo's 2015 GBP WRX

27K views 83 replies 19 participants last post by  gizmo0034 
#1 · (Edited)
Not sure how much of a build this will be since I decided to give up my job and go back to school, but I'll keep it updated with some pictures at least.

2015 Galaxy Blue Pearl WRX Base
Port Installed:
Kicker audio upgrade (speakers, tweeters, sub/amp)
Short throw shifter
All-weather mats
Center arm rest
Body side moldings
Security shock sensor

Others:
WedsSport SA-15r 18x8.8 +48
STI shift knob
Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH
3M Brushed black metallic vinyl trim
Perrin license plate relocate
LED front map lights
Auto-dim rearview mirror with compass
P&L Track series cat-back exhaust
40% ceramic window tint
opti-coat
OLE OEM style fog lights
Totsubo license plate mount
Rallyarmor mud flaps
Perrin shifter stop
JPM alcantara shift boot
Kenwood KSC-SW11 mini powered sub

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Stereo:
When I added on the optional Kicker speakers, tweeter and sub/amp I honestly wasn't expecting much. I installed a Pioneer AppRadio3 head unit as soon as I got home from the dealership. The main reason for this was to gain access to an equalizer and navigation on the Base model WRX. After playing around with the settings I was able to get a passable sounding system, my biggest gripe is not being able to control the Kicker bass separately. I will look into creating a custom knob for it in the future. I am not a sound expert by any means, but I know when I like something and when I don't. I don't need much in my sound system and to put things in perspective, my favorite stereo so far has been in my g37 ipl with the Bose setup. The staging in that car was perfect for me, as were the bass and clarity of the speakers.

The Kicker upgrades and head unit provides clear highs and lows but I haven't been able to get the depth that I'm looking for yet. I never really feel emerged in the music unless I turn it up to an uncomfortable level. I tried playing around with sending more sound to the rear speakers but again, haven't been able to get the sound I want.

Anyways, I figured I would list my setup and everything that I needed to swap out head units in my car. The process is very simple and painless, as long as you don't get a defective screen like I did.

1. Metra 95-8905B Double DIN Dash Kit
2. Metra Axxess ASWC-1 Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface
3. Dashboard Dismantle Kit
4. 20-pin Radio Harness
5. appradio parking bypass
6. Pioneer SPH-DA110 AppRadio 3
7. Pioneer CDIH202
8. Lightning cable extender
9. Good set of harness instructions
10. Interior removal video
11. Stereo removal video

I routed the microphone on the steering wheel column very easily. The GPS is routed under the steering wheel, under the a-pillar and along the windshield and is mounted back on the MFD. The USB and HDMI cables are routed on the passenger's side of the shifter, tucked under the trim. I then ran them under the cup holders and drilled a hole in the center console compartment so it's hidden. Overall the install went surprisingly quickly, the longest part is definitely soldering the harness. Luckily I bought everything while I was waiting for my car, and mocked everything up before I got the car.

#############
# Update 6/26/14 #
#############
Apparently Pioneer released a new application while I was in Europe. AppRadio Live is a huge improvement for the head unit, it combines the navigation, iphone music, weather and an event finder all in one screen. There are still some bugs in the system but now I'd say the AppRadio3 is a bargain headunit at $330. The previous navigation that I used was Waze, which is pretty good, but it took up the whole screen. With this new AppRadio Live, it looks like they use google maps as their map database and have it set to be a small map on the screen. So you can switch between ipod music selection and navigation much easier (safer). I'll take a video of it later.

#25 ·
Looks really great. I have a WRX Limited GBP arriving in August and have been wondering about getting a second set of wheels.

Can you talk a little bit more about the 18" BBS STI wheels that you have added on? Thanks!

1. Did you buy them from the dealership and what was the cost?
2. What tires did you add?
3. Did you have to do anything to the fender to get them to fit?
4. Did you already sell the OEM wheels/tires and at what price?

#19 ·
Please post a video of the sound! I am very intrested. I am thinking of getting the harmon kardon upgrade they have, but I am not sure if its worth the upgrade or rather just buy and install myself

EDIT: forgot to add: how you get your plate on the bottom? you drill holes on the bottom bumper or bolted to your grill? and nice interior btw! I heard alot of bad reviews for it, but what you think? I dont need no high class luxury stuff, but it looks fine to me?

#10 ·
Wow those wheels doe! Lol man might have to jack your style a little those would look sick in bronze on my WRB '15 when it gets here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
Agree with everyone else on the wheels they are looking really good on the car. Im not sure if Im a fan of the license plate that low, but it looks good.

#13 ·
Thanks, I'm a big fan of the BBS wheels on the dark colors for these cars. The license plate bracket is adjustable. I have it flush with the bottom lip although it looks lower in the pictures because of its angle. I was planning on installing a delete plate, just havent gotten around to it yet. I'm thinking I like the look of the lower plate though, allows you to see more of the car.

Subscribed.

Do you have any pictures of the dash pieces from say the backseat or from looking in the car?

Thanks
Updated with a couple more interior pictures

#15 ·
Agreed those wheels just compliment that color so well. The dash wrap really looks nice. Just out of curiosity is there a heat shield or some sort of shield to protect the turbo other then maybe the radiator?

#20 ·
I wrapped the 3 originally carbon fiber pieces on the front dash only. I bought a 5'x2' roll off ebay (ebay vinyl), which is way too much for one car. You can do one car easily with 2'x2' of it. To wrap the pieces, I took the center and right trim pieces off using this video (interior removal). The smaller piece to the left is very difficult to remove. I stopped because I thought I would break it so I wrapped it while it was still in the car. There are a few screws in the back of the center piece so you can remove the top vents and knobs. It's a little difficult to wrap because the bottom of it bends at a 90 degree angle, so mine is not perfect. I'll probably rewrap it when I'm bored.

Please post a video of the sound! I am very intrested. I am thinking of getting the harmon kardon upgrade they have, but I am not sure if its worth the upgrade or rather just buy and install myself

EDIT: forgot to add: how you get your plate on the bottom? you drill holes on the bottom bumper or bolted to your grill? and nice interior btw! I heard alot of bad reviews for it, but what you think? I dont need no high class luxury stuff, but it looks fine to me?
I don't really have a good microphone to record the sound, I'll make a video with my camera and phone and see how it comes out. For me, the kicker system was worth the upgrade because it was port installed. Installing aftermarket amps/subs/speakers isn't all that difficult, but it takes time and there is always the possibility of breaking a trim clip. Since it's a new car, the trim replacement parts aren't readily available. The harmon kardon system isnt available in the base wrx so I never researched it.

The license plate bracket is a medium license plate part from Skene Design. They're installed through double sided tape and two screws drilled on the bottom bumper, install took about 5 mins. The brackets actually fit in the bottom grill a little bit so I used that to help me line it up correctly. I have the plate at the lowest point, but it can also be moved up to cover the factory bumper holes if that's something you want to do.

I think the interior is pretty good. I never liked the previous models interiors, specifically the cloth seats which always felt like rental car seats. This update makes the interior acceptable, nothing really spectacular about it but there is also nothing that really bothers me about it (aside from maybe the airbag stickers on the sub visors). The base cloth seats don't make me miss leather either, which surprised me. All in all I'd say the interior is good quality if you're not looking for luxury or the gimmicky fighter pilot cockpits that seem to be popular in cars now.

#24 ·
Thanks for the information! It looks like I have to test drive myself. I think they have the premium with harmon kardon...or limited? hopefully not limited cuz that like 30k already. I might as well go get sti. For the seat how comfortable are they? because I have a bit of a back pain and I am thinking of taking out the seat and buy a more comfortable aftermarket for DD.

#30 ·
As much as I love the 2015 limited sti wheels, I'm thinking about switching it up. I will go with something similar to the oem wheel size with a different offset. Somewhere around 18x8.5 +38~45 or 18x9.5 +45~55

Suggestions are welcome, my considerations in no particular order so far are:
Enkei NT03+M

Enkei RPF1

SSR GTV01

Gram Lights 57DR

WORK Emotion CR Ultimate

#33 ·
My suggestion is that you ship those sti rims directly to me ???? and back to your question in my mind u cant go wrong with the ssr's in my book

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.