2015 WRX Premium CVT build and quick review/thoughts.

This is a discussion on 2015 WRX Premium CVT build and quick review/thoughts. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Thought I would post my thoughts and eventual build log of my 2015 WRX. First post will be my initial ...

2015 WRX Premium CVT build and quick review/thoughts.

Thought I would post my thoughts and eventual build log of my 2015 WRX.
    First post will be my initial and long term thoughts.
    Second post will be reserved for videos and how-tos.
    Third post will be for build log.

Prologue - I'm 27 years old. My first car was a 2003 Subaru Legacy and just recently bought a new 2013 Subaru BRZ. With a heavy heart I traded the BRZ in for the WRX due to a very bad winter this past year. After thinking it over and soon to have lifestyle changes (marriage, dogs, and er...maybe kids someday) I decided a 4 door, AWD sports sedan was a must.

Goodbye, sweet prince...

Exterior - Wow. Much style. So blue. Wow.

Ok, ok so I know a lot of people absolutely hate the styling of the new WRX and STi. But to tell you the truth, when I first saw it in real life I was blown away (I had low expectations). There are a lot of subtle curves that a camera really can't pick up. I picked up the WRB Premium with no available options to keep the price as low as possible but still have the option of the CVT transmission.

One thing I don't like are the headlights. Why not just have the LED lights from the Limited trim on all three models, Subaru? Huh? This will be one of my first mods to the car. Going from the hydraulic lifted trunk of the BRZ to a more normal basic trunk of the WRX was a bit disappointing. I also miss the looks the BRZ got. I haven't gotten any thumbs up in the WRX yet.

Pretty 90's looking headlights.

Pretty good.

Interior - Fit and finish. Even from a 2013 BRZ this is, what I feel, an upgrade. Gone are the leather and alcantera seats in their place are a very high quality cloth material. No more worrying about scratching the leather or staining the alcantera. Heated seats are a must in Western PA and work great. Soft touch materials throughout and there are no creaks or snaps of plastic when going over bumps. Visibility is fantastic and the back up cam is a nice addition to anyone's life. The 'carbon fiber' trim isn't all that bad, most of the people that have been in my car like it a lot and think its 'cool'. Maybe I won't plastidip it.

Some people think the interior is boring. I call it simplistic and easy to use....not like that busybody Hyundai cars...ugh, yuck (No offence to Hyundai owners)

Fact: 5 out of the 9 Subaru models look something like this.

Performance - I have to come clean about something. I'm not a real man. I'm not. When I bought the BRZ, I got the automatic transmission. When I got the WRX....you guessed it, I got the CVT transmission. "But, cvtninja, why would you knowingly get a pansy transmission when buying a sports car?!?"

I understand your confusion, and all I will say is there are 1000 red lights / stop signs during my commute.

hatersgonnahate

Phew - now that THAT is out of the way let's get down to business. How fast does it go? Coming from the BRZ it is noticeably quicker. I can actually overtake that soccer mom's minivan on the highway with ease. Mind you I'm still in the engine break in period and have it set to Sport Intelligent mode but I'm definitely able to get to 0-60 in the high 5s. Handling is on par with the BRZ and the suspension feels just a tad softer than the BRZ, which to me isn't a bad thing. I don't have to hear ever crack on the road I drive over anymore.

I hate that plastic cover...

Conclusion - What a car. I've never had a turbo car and I have to say what an experience its been so far. And to think I've only been driving it for 3 days. Fantastic. I'd recommend this car to anyone. Even you. Yes, you. Stop second guessing...I really mean it...you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Reseved for Vids and stuff

Reserved for actual build log links for quick reference.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Sounds like it suits you very well. Congrats!

yeah, congrats. All these reviews are making me more and more anxious to get mine.

Great review. I still have yet to see it in person. The only thing that bothers me is the chrome piece on the steering wheel, I'm not a fan of chrome!
    '13 WRX WRB Sedan
    Rain, sleet, snow... drive it.