VWeater's 2014 WRB Build Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on VWeater's 2014 WRB Build Thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So it finally happened, I picked up my 2014 WRB Hatch last night from ClubWRX's favorite Subaru dealer in NNJ. ...

VWeater's 2014 WRB Build Thread

So it finally happened, I picked up my 2014 WRB Hatch last night from ClubWRX's favorite Subaru dealer in NNJ. First impressions thus far, love the low end with the 2.5 cruising around. I came from 2.0 4G63's and even with my little 14B on it, the low end was nothing compared to the WRX. I just moved to Flemington and have already found some great roads in my short week here.

So after driving about for the weekend I have a good idea of what I want and my finances can handle for now. I really enjoy the motor on this car and it seems quite happy doing whatever I want it to regardless of gear and RPM. I get a real big kick how even stock the WRX has all sorts of little drivetrain noises going on. I can't remember the last new car in this price range that had some sort of exhaust note on startup. The gear/diff whine is excellent as well, can't get enough of that.

However, J-Christ Subaru your shifter sucks. My Dad's 250K+ mile Nissan pickup had a less vauge shifter than this thing. I don't mind the throws, but hot-diggity a shifter bushing kit is in order. Maybe a round shift knob as well as the stock shift knob is a tad tall for my liking. I haven't pushed the car very hard going around the twisties, but I have noticed it warbles about a bit on transitions or a road with some bumps. I'm no expert, but it just seems like the shocks are a bit underdamped for the car. However, as I don't mind too much as I like how the ride isn't overly stiff. However, some suspension bushings may be in order down the road.

It looks like it is going to be a light build for now with possible long term plans. I am really going to focus on getting the car looking right and the under hood heat managed. As this car will be used for work getting to and from jobsites, I'm looking at 15,000 - 20,000 miles a year.

*Current Plans*

-Weathertech's (Installed!)
    -Urethane Mud Flaps (Installed!)
    -Tinted all around
    -Dip the OEM's black (Maybe just kidding)
    -Debadge and dip emblems (Or no Dip)
    -Blingy turbo heat sheild
    -DEI Gold reflective tape
    -TiC Shift Kit
    -Maybe an AP to get rid of that garbage stock tune. I would prefer to go custom tuned though.

*Long Term Ideas*
    -Group N Mounts all around
    -Unabomber's Sexy Rear End
    -Crossmember Mounts
    -Nameless Catted DP
    -Corsa Exhaust
    -Nameless Intake
    -Some more aggressive brake pads/fluid
    -Moar tuning

Onto picture time!

After some bending of fingernails

Mid-Dip:

New Mats are in. All in all I'm very impressed with the fit and quality of these babies. Well worth the coin for keeping all the dirt/sand/crap off my carpets. Shipping was a bit unexpectedly pricey though.

Pictures!!

Last edited by vweater1369; 04-25-2014 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Mudflaps Ordered!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Nice! I bought a 2014 WRB hatch in January and am loving it!

Need to add the gratuitous under-hood shot. Bone Stock all day right here.

After looking under the hood a few times, my inner speed racer says it definitely needs a few items that I have no intention of buying.

*A fancy looking heat sheild and gold tape
    *TMIC that fills out the hood scoop
    *STI Intake Manifold
    *Metal BOV
    *Intake
    *Battery relocation (with tiny battery)
    *Fuse box relocation
    *Metal alternator cover
    Last edited by vweater1369; 04-09-2014 at 11:11 AM.

Reserved for moar updates.

I Support ClubWRX
    Sub'd! Looks great so far

Posted from my mobile foruming mah-sheenz
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    +1 for WRB -1 for plastidip subbed for updates

Quote Originally Posted by ThatBroBill View Post
    +1 for WRB -1 for plastidip subbed for updates
    Yeah I'm in the air about it the badges now to be honest. I may spend some time peeling it off. This car is def not going to be a beauty queen in the least bit, so I'm happy with a 10 footer lol. However, once I get the windows tinted I really think black wheels (even if it is dip) will set it off nicely.

On an update status, my mats are scheduled for delivery tomorrow. I only ordered fronts as no one ever sits in my back seat (not that you can fit behind me anyway) and I didn't want to spend the extra $80. My Rokblokz mud flaps have also shipped, I expect those by the weekend.

I just got my WRB hatch last month and the badges came off on day 2. Shaved FTW
    2014 Base WRB Hatchback
    - Dealer Options: short shifter, fog lights
    - Mods: Debadged, V-limited lip, gloss black headlights, Morimoto Angel Eyes

Future Plans
    - Audio, Exhaust, Suspension
    - Keep warranty as long as possible

Looking good man!!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Caution, Supermoto Content Beyond

Well with all the nice weather we are having I think it is time to dust this baby off and take her for a spin. You are looking at an 09' DRZ400SM with some light mods done. It hasn't touched 1,000 mi. yet. I'm going to have to change that this season.

MRD Full Exhaust
    JD Jet Kit
    Avon Distanzias
    Stainless Brake Lines
    Carbon Fauxber Handguards

edit: Look what came in the mail today!
    Last edited by vweater1369; 04-09-2014 at 10:57 AM.

I had a bit of time before work to mount up my front plate. The mail man also decided to stop by and drop off some funsies. Apparently the USPS is getting BA with their boxes. Unfortunately I got a bit involved with modding my townhouse, so car mods were put on hold.

B.A. Spiderman Packaging haha!

Pictures and more updates of the goodies to come! I shall vanquish all the mud with this.
    Last edited by vweater1369; 04-14-2014 at 09:43 AM.

My WRX Looking as It Should

So I was a little slow with this update. I got my RokBlokz on Thursday and ended up installing them Friday afternoon. Install wasn't too difficult. The instructions were pretty clear and simple. I do have to say I was petrified of popping off the side skirt and that little fender panel above it. My past experiences with doing things like that always ended with snapped clips, or even worse, cracked plastics. I included some photos of the hardware and mounting brackets included with RokBlokz.

Shipping was USPS Priority, which I am never disatisfied with, I always get my stuff two days after I'm alerted that my product has shipped via Priority. Sure the tracking system is garbage and a day late on updates, but USPS is unfortunate enough to have to operate under congressional oversite. So I'm always surprised that they even have tracking, since congress can't decide on what toilet paper to buy every year. Overall packaging was very nice, not like there is much that can be broken in there. RokBlokz took the time to stuff some cardboard in there to keep everything from shifting around in transit.

The mounting "brackets" are made out of the same material as the flaps. It is a stiff rubber/urethane/plastic material which I rather like for the flaps. I was a bit skeptical about the mounting brackets being made out of the same material, but I did some high speed highway blasts, speed bump scraping, and dirt road driving this weekend and all is well. Taking that into consideration, I do see why the Rally Armors are significantly more denero than these, everthing else being equal.

Mounting these up took maybe 1.5 hours? I wasn't really keeping track, and I was busy on my phone and moving crap around in my garage during the install. You are definitely going to want to take the rear wheels off for added clearence in there. You can do it with the wheels on if you have a little right angle ratcheting screw driver, but that just sounds like more trouble than it is worth.

*don't mind my pasty knee in there, the sun has just started shining in Jersey*
    The sealed up package

Hardware packs, mounting brackets and STICKERS!!!!

Front all mounted up!

Me getting all anal retentive with the level

Final product a-la instagram

While visiting the g/f's parents down in Smithville (near Atlantic City) I found the Forsythe Wildlife Preserve. Pretty neat place. I went after sunset so there wasn't much to take photos of. But it consists of a 8 mile one way dirt road that shoots out into the bay there and back around. There are a ton of birds and other creatures out there. It was a pretty cool little drive. You could go fast if you want (after hours, there is a 15 mph limit) but one small mistake puts you in the water. Back on actual land I had a little fun in the dirt with the TCS or whatever it is called turned off. I have to say, it was nice hearing the little rocks bounce off my mudflaps instead of the paint! The car is completely filthy, with tons of dust caked to the wheel lips etc... The back is worse as I made the mistake of squirting some washer fluid to try and see out the back glass. Here is the aftermath a day later.

So I haven't updated this thread in a while because, well, there haven't been any updates really. Other than driving the snot out of this thing, no new parts have been ordered.

I clicked over 5,000 miles the other week and decided to bring it over to my buddies Porsche dealer (you know because boxer 4 makes our cars the same as Porsche's) to slap in a new OEM filter and some Rotella full syn and rotate the tires. What probably woulda been an hour long job on the floor at my house was a whopping 15 minutes on the lift. Most of that time was spent trying to find a wrench small enough for our tiny oil filters.

I am getting sick of not having any exhaust note ont this thing though. I'm getting very close to saying F-it and pulling the trigger on the Corsa cat-back. Now that summer is in full force, I also want to get some tint on the windows to try and keep the interior a bit cooler, I forgot how much of a glass bubble hatch backs are when it comes to radiant heat from sunlight. I'll probably be going 20% all around and seeing how that works out with the local authorities.

On another note, I've decided to name my car "The Blueberry"

On another note, I've decided to name my car "The Blueberry"

.....LOL yeah I name my old red car cherry XD shes a sweet one too

So yeah... that plan of buying an exhaust? Well that turned into picking up a Cobb AP off of a user's friend here. Whoops!

Anyways, I'm *****-footing it and only loaded up the 91 octane Stge uno map just to see the difference between stock and the most conservative OTS map. All I have to say is Hot-Diggity. I don't feel like the top end is different, but the pull through the low-ish midrange is way wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy better. Getting rid of that stupid ultra lean fuel curve does wonders.

I'll probably flash it back to stock for a one way commute to work to forget all about that feeling, then pop in the 93 octane map to compare, then call it a day.

Needless to say, I am pleasantly shocked with the outcome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast