RallySport Direct's 2015 WRX Build - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

This is a discussion on RallySport Direct's 2015 WRX Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by zax Why? Boxer rumble = bad. The boxer rumble is purely arbitrary and aesthetic. No gains or ...

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Why? Boxer rumble = bad.
    The boxer rumble is purely arbitrary and aesthetic. No gains or function comes from it. It actually hinders function.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    The boxer rumble is purely arbitrary and aesthetic. No gains or function comes from it. It actually hinders function.

Yes that's my point. It only serves to reduce VE.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Yes that's my point. It only serves to reduce VE.
    Meant to reply to the other guy, buy yeah. I like it but would definitely get rid of it them eventually. Thy serve no real purpose other than sounding cool. But the right exhaust can do that as well.

I'm fully aware that elh are better for performance. That said, driving my 14 wrx is much more audibly stimulating than driving my wife's 14 fxt. Both are quick and have roughly the same power, the DIT does have a bit more low end power, but it doesn't sound as good. Just my opinion...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

I know its the sound of inefficiency...but I honestly love Subarus knowing I can put an exhaust on and get that awesome 2-stroke sounding rumble.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

ClubWRX.net Vendor RallySportDirect's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

WRX Oil Change

The sweet little WRX is all broken in and it’s time for its first mod, and what is that you ask? And oil change! Okay, not exactly a modification, but it excites me all the same as this is our first step before we start the real modifications.

Those with a BRZ/FR-S will be very familiar with changing the WRX’s oil, and really this is one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done. Let’s get started!

What we used:
    5.4 Quarts of Penrite Racing 5W30 oil
    Prova Oil Filter
    Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug M16x1.5x12
    Note* if re-using your factory drain plug, make sure to pick up a new crush gasket for it

Tools needed:
    14mm wrench
    15mm wrench (required for new Dimple Drain Plug)
    Oil Filter Wrench (not usually required, but someone at the factory ate their Wheaties that morning)
    Clean Funnel
    A few rags or paper towels

First I like to remove the oil fill cap, this helps the oil drain a bit quicker when you remove the drain plug.

Now get under the car, and get your 14mm wrench, you will see the drain plug exposed at the bottom of the pan, horray for nothing covering the drain plug!

Place your oil drop pan/catch under the drain plug and you will need to use a bit of force to remove the drain plug as it seems like Subaru paints over these and employs He-Man to torque these down.

Let all of the oil drain, clean the drain plug, apply the new crush gasket and thread it back into the oil pan. Don’t quote me on this yet, but the Torque specs should be 30.8 ft-lb for the oil drain plug. We used the Dimple drain plug, which required a 15mm wrench.

Now we move to the top of the engine. You will see the oil filter is incredibly easy to get to. We had to use a filter wrench to remove it, but normally you can get these off by hand. Once removed, I like to clean up any oil on the top of the oil cooler.

Make sure to lubricate the O-ring on the new filter, once done we can install the new filter with a toque spec of 10.3 ft-lb(Black OEM Filter) or 8.9 ft-lb(Blue OEM filter), but I always go off the German standard “GuttenTight” which is roughly hand tight plus about ¼ turn.

Use a clean funnel and pour in 5.4 quarts of oil. Put on the oil cap, start up the car, and make sure the oil light on the dash turns off. Get out of the car and visibly check for any leaks. Shut down the car, and check the dipstick to make sure the oil level is correct. Is it? Yay!

You've just completed your first oil change on your new WRX. Not only will your friends be impressed, but the car will now have more respect for you as well. Now go enjoy the car with a nice drive!

Thanks,
    Rick
    Last edited by RallySportDirect; 05-16-2014 at 08:28 AM.

I envy your TMOF (Top Mount Oil Filter). A lot.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I do love the rumble, but any boxer sounds exotic. With or without that UELH. But that's just my opinion. I've always been a function over form car person, not that I neglect form.

Love the idea of TMOF. Wrx is looking so dope.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I envy your TMOF (Top Mount Oil Filter). A lot.
    To be honest, that's the least enviable feature to me.

Stronger motor, better economy, integrated oil temperature and oil level gauge, ELH with bottom-mount turbo, modern direct injection, etc.

I could care less about the filter.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Stronger motor, better economy, integrated oil temperature and oil level gauge, ELH with bottom-mount turbo, modern direct injection, etc.

There is so much I love about the FA, I was just trying to stay on topic haha.

I'm a simple person. And fat...so ergonomics that mean less time actually under the car, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    I'm a simple person. And fat...so ergonomics that mean less time actually under the car, the better.
    To each their own.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Pshh...People come out with better motors all the time. It ain't often you get such ingenuity as a TMOF haha

I Support ClubWRX
    Happy Friday and happy weekend! Check out this picture from last weekend at our Annual car meet.

Thanks,
    Rick

I Support ClubWRX
    Happy Friday and happy weekend! Check out this picture from last weekend at our Annual car meet.

Thanks,
    Rick

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast