Subaru WRX Forum banner

RallySport Direct's 2015 WRX STI Build

65K views 219 replies 38 participants last post by  ThatBroBill 
#1 · (Edited)

When we first received our STI, we were hoping to build the ultimate street car with a bit more focus on track as we were willing to sacrifice comfort for more performance, but we also did not want it to be pure track. During our build, we were hit with something that would change the course of the build, and that thing was SEMA. We always wanted the STI to be in SEMA, but we were not building it for that purpose. With our car being confirmed for SEMA, we really had to change what we were doing and why we were doing it. No longer could we go to track days as we had to keep the car clean and free from damage. We primary focused on mods that would be good for a show car, but still in the back of our mind we wanted to build this car how we wanted to build it... to a degree. With the car being featured in SEAM 14 and 15, and with SEMA 16 coming up, we are trying to think of ways to make the car different and stand out once again. Join us along the way trying to get the car ready for 2016 SEMA!

Engine:
Perrin Rotated Mount Kit With GTX3582 Turbo
Perrin FMIC
Perrin Exhaust Manifold
Cosworth Intake Manifold
Cosworth Air Pump deletes
Perrin Air Oil Separator
Perrin Battery Tie Down

Penrite Racing 5W30 oil
Prova Oil Filter
Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug M20X1.5X14

Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Cobb Tuning V3 AccessPort
HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust
Omni Power 4 BAR Map Sensor
DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel Pump
Grimmspeed Boost Control Solenoid
Cosworth TGV Deletes
Deatschwerks Fuel Rails W/ 1200c injectors
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley Red
Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator

Interior:
JDM STi Push Button Starter
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching Center Arm Rest
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching Shift Boot
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching E-brake Boot

Cusco/Bride Stradia II Seats
Takata Green Race 4 4-Point Harness (x2)
Sparco Seat Base Driver Side
Sparco Seat Base Passenger
Perrin Adjustable Shift Knob
Perrin SI Dial

Exterior:
Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers
Custom Painted APR GTC-300 Wing
APR Carbon Fiber Front Air Dam
APR Custom Splitter
APR Front Canards
HT Autos Fender Flares

Drivetrain:
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushings

Perrin Engine Mounts
Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
Perrin Transmission Mount
PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Suspension:
HKS Hipermax IV-GT Coilovers
Cusco Rear Control Arms
Cusco Rear Trailing Arms
Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Endlinks

Chassis:
Cusco Rear Trunk X-Brace
Cusco Power Steering Brace
Cusco Rear Side Power Brace
Cusco Front Crossmember Brace
Cusco Rear Subframe Brace
Cusco Front Side Power Brace

Wheels/Tires:
Volk Racing ZE40 18x10.5 +24
Toyo R888 275/35/18

See less See more
#195 ·
So I wrote this on the first page of our build:

When we first received our STI, we were hoping to build the ultimate street car with a bit more focus on track as we were willing to sacrifice comfort for more performance, but we also did not want it to be pure track. During our build, we were hit with something that would change the course of the build, and that thing was SEMA. We always wanted the STI to be in SEMA, but we were not building it for that purpose. With our car being confirmed for SEMA, we really had to change what we were doing and why we were doing it. No longer could we go to track days as we had to keep the car clean and free from damage. We primary focused on mods that would be good for a show car, but still in the back of our mind we wanted to build this car how we wanted to build it... to a degree. With the car being featured in SEAM 14 and 15, and with SEMA 16 coming up, we are trying to think of ways to make the car different and stand out once again. Join us along the way trying to get the car ready for 2016 SEMA!

But one thing I wanted to say is I feel like I have failed the continuity. I have failed to bring proper updates, transparency in our build, and overall a lack of focus in our build threads, so I wanted to personally apologize. from here on out I want to be more involved in this thread as well as our others and let you guys know exactly whats going on with the build and why we are doing it.

Thanks for all of your support, I and we really appreciate it!
Rick

#197 ·
So with what I said above, lets talk about the HKS Coilovers. There are times I have to install items on the car that I personally would not want, not to say they are bad in any way, but it would just not be my personal preference. This car is being built for SEMA after all. But when I heard we were going to install the HKS coilovers on the car, I was ecstatic. HKS is one of those companies I have always looked up to, and I have run many of their products in the past and have always been incredibly happy with their products and their coilovers were no different, I just about loved everything about them.. almost.

My one complaint would be the lack of camber adjustability on the top hats. Granted we already have some camber adjustment on the factory knuckles, it would have been really nice to have some more up top. Also in their defense, it already comes with quite a bit of camber right out of the box.

Now one thing I really love about these coilovers for a street driven car is the rubber isolators that separate the top hat from the strut itself, this really helps keeps noise and road harshness out of the car. Now you might think this would take away from the handling, and I'm sure it does to some degree, but most people(myself included) would not be able to feel it, these coilovers feel razor sharp when throwing the car around a corner, yet have an amazing ability to be completely comfortable when just driving around.

I would say HKS really killed it with their latest generation of coilovers. I have not tried their more sport oriented SP coilovers, but I would venture to guess these are amazing as well. Maybe we should try them on the FR-S.... ;)

Thanks,
Rick

Some pictures of them installed:

#198 ·
So we took the STI out for some pictures and videos today and we found this awesome lot with some loose gavel which we thought would be awesome to do a bit of power sliding or donuts. Well I don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the car simply had too much grip to do it.. :( Although that can only mean we need one thing.. More Power!

Thanks,
Rick

#199 ·

Another year and another great car meet, but it did not go exactly as planned. Last year we had the meet at the RallySportDirect headquarters which was just larger enough to hold all of the attendees and cars, and this year we wanted to do the same, but ran into a problem about a week before the event was to take place. We had way too many people scheduled to come along with additional parking issues around our headquarters. We scrambled to find a new location and settled on the parking structure at Jordan Commons, a local movie theater with a 3 story parking lot. We thought everything would be perfect as we got everything finalized and re-routed to the new location, but there is that one thing you can never prepare for... The weather.

Saturday morning, we arrived at 6am to get everything unloaded and setup, it was chilly and overcast but everything was looking good. Fast forward a two hours and we started feeling some raindrops falling, the wind picking up a bit, and the ominous dark clouds lounging overhead. As the vendors were setting up their booths, the wind really started to pick up, and quickly turned some of their canopies into very large kites. We got them secured down, but then we were dealing with the constant rain and cold temps. We had people scheduled to start rolling in at 9am, and normally we expect people to arrive early, but even at 10am, the parking lot was only about half full and we were genuinely worried this meet was a bust due to the weather. It seemed as quickly as the rain came, it went away, the clouds broke, the sun poked its way through and the temps came us as the wind died down, and just like that people started rolling in faster than we could park them.

No event is complete without amazing food, music and people and it seemed like we had the perfect combination of each. Our local food truck scene is amazing and they showed up to provide the tastiest food all while our in-house DJ was playing music that kept the meet moving and entertaining. By far the best part were all the people, never before were people so willing to help out, wanting to make sure the RallySportDirect crew were not overworking themselves, and just genuinely appreciative of what we were doing and for that we were truly thankful.

Last but not least, the best aspect of any car meet... the cars! One of the most unique cars there was a Honda powered RHD original Mini. With the "bonnet" on, your only hint as to what this car is all about is the Advan A048 tires poking out of the body. The independent throttle bodies along with a full exhaust should be more than enough to take this bantam weight fighter to speed at an alarming rate.

Who does not love Rocket Bunny BRZ'? We had a few show up this year, but there is something about this one that just screams business. Maybe it's the turbo kit, or the Dai Yoshihara Canards, or perhaps the Enkei RS05RR wheels, but regardless, it's always a pleasure seeing this car in the flesh.

I have a certain softspot for Bugeye WRX's, and this one seems to hit the spot when it comes to early gen US WRX's. Voltex Aero all around, Big Rotated Mount turbo kit, OE JDM flair with the roof vent, STI carbon badges along with Bride seats to hold you secure while you pilot this beauty. There is too much to love about this car.

We love a good sleeper, and while an EVO is not exactly a sleeper in the purest sense, a stock looking EVO making over 700WHP might be just enough to surprise even the quickest cars out there. You may not realize what you are up against until the wastegate opens and that screamer pipe starts spitting flames. We like it because it's clean, well done and an absolute beast where it matters.

With older JDM cars being able to be imported we saw quite a few GTR's as well as this GTS-T which was just super clean and a prime example of the legends that Japan produced in the late 80's through the 90's. The Spirit of Japan lives on in the U.S. with guys like these bringing these cars in.

There were so many amazing cars and I would not be able to list them all here, so here are a few more pictures for your enjoyment. We hope to see you all next year!

#201 ·
If I could just have this view every day on my way to work, I'd be a happy man. Kthxbye

Who does not love Rocket Bunny BRZ
I don't, that's who. Rocketbunny just looks so hacked together and screams "LOOK AT ME I'LL DIE IF I DON'T GET IMMEDIATE ATTENTION"

The fact that I'm a "hater" because I despise showy appearance mods is fine by me. What will they all do when the Instagram servers go down?!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#204 ·
Well not too much has been happening with the STI as of late. We took it out to do a few photo shoots, but mainly I have been working on some employee vehicles and doing some pretty cool stuff which I will link you guys to at a later time once we release it. For now, enjoy this video we did for PST, I had a blast making it as you will see ;)

Thanks,
Rick

#205 ·
I wanted to make a quick update. I have not been working on the STI unfortunately as we just got back from Kentucky to attend a car show there. I will say I was incredibly impressed with the Diesel sled truck pulls. There is something about 2,000 HP trucks giving it their all and moving perhaps 150 feet down the dirt all while filling the air with ultra thick black smoke. I'm not much of a diesel fan, but that was super cool. Plus I got a ride in this 1,100 HP beast.

While we were in Kentucky, the cars we resting safely in the shop.

Thanks,
Rick

#208 ·
As you may have heard, RallysportDirect will be moving our facility. This is great news for us, but unfortunately that means that working on the cars has been a bit slow at this time. Once we get all settled in we should be giving more updates to the cars as we start building for SEMA! :)

Thanks,
Rick

#216 ·
Wow! Looks like quite the upgrade!

Side question, saw you guys are now offering package deals, and I think that is a great way for us customers to get a bit of a break in the price of all of these parts. But, what are the chances of those packages expanding? Maybe even to like a build your own exhaust and intake package with a discount instead of being limited to the few selections you have. Love the idea! Hopefully it continues to grow!

#219 ·
Well it's been awhile since I've given an update. I have been crazy busy building our cars for SEMA and the STI has not had any upgrades in that time but it is nice that since the car is not going to SEMA this year I can take it out to some local meets, so that is what I have done and it's been a blast. Anyway, enjoy this picture we took the last time it was up in the air :)

Thanks,
Rick

#220 ·
Rick,

I have been thinking about doing the HT flares. I have a question about the ones on the WRX. It looks like the WRX has a slim rubber pad in between the flares and the body of the car. Were these made ? or do they come with the flares? I have seen a lot of these setups some have the padding some do not.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.