Subaru WRX Forum banner

RallySport Direct's 2015 WRX STI Build

65K views 219 replies 38 participants last post by  ThatBroBill 
#1 · (Edited)

When we first received our STI, we were hoping to build the ultimate street car with a bit more focus on track as we were willing to sacrifice comfort for more performance, but we also did not want it to be pure track. During our build, we were hit with something that would change the course of the build, and that thing was SEMA. We always wanted the STI to be in SEMA, but we were not building it for that purpose. With our car being confirmed for SEMA, we really had to change what we were doing and why we were doing it. No longer could we go to track days as we had to keep the car clean and free from damage. We primary focused on mods that would be good for a show car, but still in the back of our mind we wanted to build this car how we wanted to build it... to a degree. With the car being featured in SEAM 14 and 15, and with SEMA 16 coming up, we are trying to think of ways to make the car different and stand out once again. Join us along the way trying to get the car ready for 2016 SEMA!

Engine:
Perrin Rotated Mount Kit With GTX3582 Turbo
Perrin FMIC
Perrin Exhaust Manifold
Cosworth Intake Manifold
Cosworth Air Pump deletes
Perrin Air Oil Separator
Perrin Battery Tie Down

Penrite Racing 5W30 oil
Prova Oil Filter
Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug M20X1.5X14

Turbosmart Dual Port BOV
Cobb Tuning V3 AccessPort
HKS Hi-Power Catback Exhaust
Omni Power 4 BAR Map Sensor
DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel Pump
Grimmspeed Boost Control Solenoid
Cosworth TGV Deletes
Deatschwerks Fuel Rails W/ 1200c injectors
Grimmspeed Lightweight Crank Pulley Red
Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator

Interior:
JDM STi Push Button Starter
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching Center Arm Rest
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching Shift Boot
JPM Coachworks Black Alcantara With Red Stitching E-brake Boot

Cusco/Bride Stradia II Seats
Takata Green Race 4 4-Point Harness (x2)
Sparco Seat Base Driver Side
Sparco Seat Base Passenger
Perrin Adjustable Shift Knob
Perrin SI Dial

Exterior:
Lamin-X Yellow Fog Light Covers
Custom Painted APR GTC-300 Wing
APR Carbon Fiber Front Air Dam
APR Custom Splitter
APR Front Canards
HT Autos Fender Flares

Drivetrain:
Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
Kartboy Front Shifter Bushings
Kartboy Rear Shifter Bushings

Perrin Engine Mounts
Perrin Pitch Stop Mount
Perrin Transmission Mount
PST Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

Suspension:
HKS Hipermax IV-GT Coilovers
Cusco Rear Control Arms
Cusco Rear Trailing Arms
Whiteline 22mm Adjustable Rear Swaybar
Whiteline Adjustable Rear Endlinks

Chassis:
Cusco Rear Trunk X-Brace
Cusco Power Steering Brace
Cusco Rear Side Power Brace
Cusco Front Crossmember Brace
Cusco Rear Subframe Brace
Cusco Front Side Power Brace

Wheels/Tires:
Volk Racing ZE40 18x10.5 +24
Toyo R888 275/35/18

See less See more
#10 ·
So an update on the car, as I have put on about 330miles on it the last few days.

First the things that I like.
Suspension and Chassis out of the box is amazing! Having had an EVO X before, I am not afraid to say that apples to apples the new STi will outrun it. The new steering rack will also make this car great for autoX! The stock interior is fantastic compared to the outgoing GR, I dont like it as much as the GD personally but its leaps and bounds ahead of the GR. Stock tires are amazing, but are a little loud. The new sound system, is very good for Subaru standards (if that means anything). Last is the look of the car, every time I part the car I cant help but turn around and look at it. Some thing the car is very plain, but that is not a bad thing as I have yet to have a single cop look at the car

Things that I hate.
Stock seats are terrible, I mean they are THAT BAD! Yes they look nice, but do not hold you in at all ( I am 6'4" and 230lbs). The noise tube is driving me NUTS, it makes the car sound cheap and I on purpose have the stereo loud enough so that I cant hear it. The car has a big blind spot on both sides around the rear 1/4 panels, I find myself checking them 2-3 times before I change lanes. Reverse camera is a big "small", yes its nice but I wish it was a higher quality lens that had a wider angle.

That should cover basics for now , we will have more info as we get more miles on the car

Kirill
RallySportDirect.com

#11 ·
Interesting that the seats are that bad...maybe they need to go back to bugeye seats.

#13 ·
Its not that the seats are bad, they are just not very supportive for the type of car that this is. Having had a EVO X and S4 as personal cars, those cars had way way better seats for a car in a similar market segment. I would have just wanted more side support.
With that being said, the seats are comfortable. I find them more comfortable then any factory US seat ever offered. Just wish they had more lateral support.

Kirill
RallySportDirect.com

#14 ·
Ahhhh that makes more sense now. How are they compared to say, 2012 WRX seats? I like mine a bit, but also wish I had a little more bolster. But I came from an 05 STI which had worn seats that made my sciatica flare up in my ass :rotfl:

#16 ·
Spent some time with the STi today :)

Put it up on the lift today to do some product test fitment

After that it was time for a wash. Its been raining the last few days and the car got quite dirty! We got our favorite SONAX cleaning products and went to town.

This is the effect of the SONAX wheel cleaner, it turns red after a few minutes as it begins working away at the brake dust. Quick scrub with a soft brush and the wheels are as good as new.

After that finished off by doing a quick wax on the car using the Sonax High Speed wax and the car is better then new :)

Kirill
RallySportDirect.com

#17 · (Edited)
Looking good... I sat in one recently and I like it! I will wait for the update look in a few years though. I too sat in the drivers seat and felt that the seats were horrible and I didnt even drive it. I think the 3rd gen WRX seats are the best thus far. Honestly...it doesnt seem to hug your ribs and shoulders if you were planning on taking it for a good canyon run/drive etc

Subscribed!

#24 ·
850...1000...not that much difference. You're practically there anyway :)

#25 · (Edited)

The Sti has just been itching to be broken in.. well okay that’s not true, but we have been itching to get the STi all broken in. We just want to be able to go have some real fun with it, so we are excited to say that it is 100% broken in, and the first order of business is an oil change, so let’s get started.

Tools needed:
17mm wrench
12mm socket
Flat head screwdriver for plastic clips
Oil Filter Wrench (why are these factory filters on so tight!?)
Clean Funnel
A few rags or paper towels

What we used:
4.5 Quarts of Penrite Racing 5W30 oil
Prova Oil Filter
Dimple Magnetic Drain Plug M20X1.5X14
Note* if re-using your factory drain plug, make sure to pick up a new crush gasket for it

First thing we like to do is remove the oil fill cap, it seems to make draining the oil quicker and also less messy. Once done, get under your car, as we will have to remove the factory under panel. There are 6 plastic push clips total (3 on each upper side of the panel), 2 large clips, and 3 x 12mm bolts holding on the under panel.

You can see the 3 side panel clips here. Remember there are 3 on each side.

And the large clips on the rear of the panel will pull out.

With the under panel off, we now have access to the oil filter, and this will also make draining the oil easier as well. Use your 17mm wrench to break the oil drain plug loose, and make sure to place your oil catch pan under the drain plug and let er’ loose.

Once the oil is drained, insert the drain plug back in and torque to spec, which should be 33 ft-Lb’s.

Now we can move onto the oil filter. The stock filter was on incredibly tight, so we had to use an oil filter wrench to remove it.

With the filter off, we like to clean up any residual oil left on the bottom of the oil cooler.

Fill the new filter with oil, and use the oil to lube up the O-ring before installation.

Install the new oil filter, Subaru lists the torque at 10.7 ft-lbs, but we usually just go hand tight plus about ÂĽ of a turn extra.

Reinstall the under panel in reverse order. It may be helpful to have a buddy to help you hold the panel up while you get the first few bolts or clips in.

Now use your funnel and put in the rest of the 4.5 Quarts. Double check the dipstick to make sure oil is showing, put on the oil cap, and start the car. Look for the oil light and make sure it turns off, let the car idle while you visibly check for any leaks. If no leaks present, shut off the car and let it sit for a minute, check the oil dip stick and add any oil if needed.

If everything looks good, give yourself a huge high five and make sure you do a victory dance as you just successfully did your own first oil change on your 2015 STi.

Last and most important step, go for a drive and enjoy your car!

Thanks,
Rick

#26 ·
#209 ·
Hi Kirill,

I bought the Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust 3in Sedan
MODEL # MAG 15472. for my 2012 WRX, if the Tomei from that year wrx fits the 2015 sti do you think mine would fit a 2017 STI? Have you tested it? I've heard it MAY fit but the tips will extend alot farther than normal and look really weird.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.