08 STi Stock Turbo/E85/92oct
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 08 STi Stock Turbo/E85/92oct within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I sold my 05 built STi and bought myself a low mileage bone stock 2008 Subaru STi World Rally ...

I Support ClubWRX

08 STi Stock Turbo/E85/92oct

So I sold my 05 built STi and bought myself a low mileage bone stock 2008 Subaru STi World Rally Blue Hatchack from a dealership in WA. My ultimate goal for the car was not crazy HP using a killer turbo. Instead I wanted a build that was was relatively safe and reliable but yet still retains much of the OEM parts. In other words I wanted to push the stock turbo and have a car that had wicked torque, fast spool, and most importantly to be use extensively as a DD, family car, camping, road trips, and the occasional track. Here is what I did to attain that goal. Hope you guys enjoy the read and thanks for looking

The Car After Purchase:

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG][IMG][/IMG]

Now onward to the mod list and how it all came together

Pacific Import Auto
    Mustang Dynamometer
    330whp/378tq/E85/21psi
    295whp/310tq/92Oct/19psi

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Mod List:

-COBB AP w/ Pro tune on pump gas and E85
    -COBB Short Ram Intake w/ Air Box
    -COBB Electronic Boost Control Solenoid
    -COBB Adjustable Short Throw Shifter
    -FIC 1100cc Injectors
    -Walbros 460lph Fuel Pump
    -Turbo XS Turbo Back Exhaust
    -Stoptec Slotted Rotors front and rear

Other:
    -Alpine Touch Screen Multi Media Player
    -JDM Black STi Side Badge
    -Powder coated the stock BBS wheels black

Why did you choose these parts?

Since I wanted to stay as stock as possible but max out the stock turbo I went with E85 as a fuel source. Its accessible for me and with the higher octane rating then pump gas and how much power to be had I figure why not. But I also wanted to keep the car as practical as possible so I also went with a dual tune for both fuel types. I went with COBB because of the massive support COBB themselves offer along with all the shops and vendors. COBB its a brand I have experience with and my tuner work exclusively with COBB software. Additionally I found a neat perk with the newer generations in which custom map can now be loaded onto your SI Drive. In other words instead of the old fashion plugin up the AP to the car and loading up a new map. Your tuner can now load each map into your SI setting of Intelligence, Sport, and Sport #(Sharp). For example once I load up either my 92 Octane map or E85 map I can quickly switch between different boost map simply by turning my knob to either IN, Sport, or Sport #. It makes life so much easier because you can now change the performance of the car with a flick of your hand. I went with a COBB Short Ram Intake so as to free up the air supply and let the turbo spool noise become more pronounce. Since my boost level is sustainable with the stock recirculating BOV which I prefer over an aftermarket one getting the intake was gimme. I upgraded both my injectors and fuel pump because to run E85 you need to supply roughly 20% more fuel compare to pump gas. Another reason was it allow me to start a solid foundation of supporting mods if I was incline to further increase power such a turbo upgrade. Had the COBB electronic Boost Control installed so it was possible to safely control and raise the boost on the stock turbo. Replaced the stock exhaust with a catless Turbo XS TBE to free up the exhaust restriction, make it louder, and enhance the look. With more power I swapped out the stock rotors with StopTec Slotted rotors for both front and rear which greatly enhance those superb brembos for better confidence in handling. To have everything connected I decided to replaced the stock tall shifter with an adjustable one from COBB along with new bushing for that quick and solid feel.

How do you like the build?

I am blown away by how much power and torque gained by just using E85. The car pulls like a rocket and the power is accessible from every gear. It delivers everything in a rush of power in a very smooth and control manner. On pump gas map the car was noticeably smoother, pulls harder, more HP, and offers way better fuel economy over the COBB off the shelf Stage 2 map. The end results was better then what I expected and I am exceptionally happy. I can drive the car like a mindless zombie when commuting to work in rush hour traffic, take the family on camping and road trips, but still feed my thirst for speed. The car is not overblown with aftermarket parts and still retains much of the OEM parts. This build is not for everyone but it fits my lifestyle and what I wanted out of my Subaru. I hope this build helped you guys out..

Random Pictures of the Car

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by Bang876; 03-24-2014 at 09:47 AM.
    Asian Ricer

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Wow, very nice modest build here. Good power and nothing to crazy. I like it!
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Thank You and yes I love! It was a Bang for your Buck build.
    Asian Ricer

Good looking car! I love the black painted stock wheels. Simple and effective build.

What are you running for brake pads? The rotors have virtually no effect on braking ability or power...it's pads, fluid, and stainless lines that will improve that.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Hawks Street Pads
    Asian Ricer

I Support ClubWRX
    This is an awesome build! I love what you have done to the car. How do you like your TurboXS setup? I am still somewhat torn between the Invidia q300 and the TurboXS TBE on my Sedan. They are both quality setups.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Tuned buy Turn in Concepts
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    This is an awesome build! I love what you have done to the car. How do you like your TurboXS setup? I am still somewhat torn between the Invidia q300 and the TurboXS TBE on my Sedan. They are both quality setups.
    I went with the Turbo XS because it was slightly louder and cheaper then the q300. I got the whole TBE from one of my vendors for $990.00 with shipping. My buddy runs the q300 said he wish he bought Turbo XS instead because its in a good median of not obnoxiously loud like the N1 but a tad bit louder then the q300. Additionally I like how it will scream when you floor it but will retain a very subtle and compose sound while cruising on the highway. I run a catless set up so its a tad bit louder as will but I dont notice it being too loud and cops passes me without even giving second glance.
    Asian Ricer

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.