'09 WRX Premium - Light Mods

This is a discussion on '09 WRX Premium - Light Mods within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello Subaru veterans A true n00b here - I'm looking for some advice on lightly modding my first Scooby, a ...

'09 WRX Premium - Light Mods

Hello Subaru veterans

A true n00b here - I'm looking for some advice on lightly modding my first Scooby, a 2009 WRX Premium Sedan that I bought about a month ago, pictured here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_MG_8353 copy.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	208.3 KB 
ID:	140513

Not sure if this forum is the correct place, but I couldn't find anything better. Please feel free to move this/point me in the right direction.

I would like to update ya'll on my progress as I add parts, I just wanted to get your opinions first on what I should and shouldn't do so I don't go off strapping a bunch of random parts on my car and ruining it.
    This is not a daily driver. Well, it sort of is. It's my main mode of transportation, but I only drive maybe 2-3 times a week and mostly it's for fun

My goals are:

I want this car to be fun to drive, visually striking/sounding, and not liable to explode/suffer massive damage that will hurt my wallet every 2 months.

I don't want to go too hard into modding the engine, suspension, etc. Mostly aesthetic stuff, maybe a cat back exhaust (SoCal represent), an intake, a tune, things like that.

This is what I'm thinking in terms of my first few mods, let me know what you think!

Cat-Back Exhaust
    I wanted Cobb, but sadly they only make their catback for the Hatch version of the '09 WRX, which I've been told is not compatible with the sedan.
    I'm looking at Invidia, Perrin, and Borla. I want it to be loud on the top end but not too crazy at idle, with a nice low rumble and as little rasp as I can get.
    This is the first mod I'd like to do, the stock exhaust is so underwhelming....

Short Shifter
    Pretty much set on doing Cobb because I think their shifter knobs look tight, but I'm open to maybe getting a different SSK and just getting the Cobb knob (lol @ CobbKnob)

Engine Management
    Considering going with an AccessPort, but I really think for my purposes I don't need the ability to change my tuning setup on the fly. Would a custom tune be a good idea?
    I like the idea of getting a few extra horses out of this beast but I don't want to go crazy with upgrading the turbo and all that mess.

Cold Air Intake
    Haven't looked too much into this, even though I know it is important and a very basic mod. Suggestions here would be appreciated; should I do this before exhaust and other things?

Body Kits
    Maybe a splitter, side skirts? Haven't looked into this too much, it's not a priority for me and I'm not even sure that it's practical for my purposes.

Tints
    Any general advice I should follow? Recommendations for places to get them done around LA? I haven't looked too much into this

Any other suggestions for parts that I should do before/in concert with the ones I mentioned are much appreciated!

I don't have enough $$ to do them all at once, but I want to do this right and not cheap out on anything, so I'm willing to take a pickaxe to my wallet and pony up for the next year or so to really get this car to the place that I want it.

Please don't hate on me, I'm just a poor newbie soliciting advice from the guys who really know what they're doing!

-T

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Luckily the wrx is very very very popular platform. Everything you want to do has already been done a million times. Check out the forum for a little bit, treat it as a wrx library. One thing I love to do is plan a mod and then wait for someone to post a for sale thread on exactly what I'm looking for. I've been getting new and slightly used items much cheaper than retail prices.

Good luck, have fun, do some research, happy modding

Oh and buy an accessport. There is no need to "change tunes on the fly" set your tune and forget it. Best bang for the buck mod, and plenty of people sell theirs so this can be had for half the price of a new one.

Thanks for the advice.

You're right, I have been able to find a great deal of information on specific parts and modifications.

What I'm looking for is more like advice on how the pieces will work together, if I'll need supporting modifications for any combination of parts, what order it's best to do them in, etc. for my car specifically.

You can run a cat back or even an axle back by itself no problem. If you choose to run a intake. Get a accessport or some sort of proper tune that is made for that intake. Aftermarket intakes of course bring in more air, more air makes an engine run lean and too much lean equals a blown motor.

There is no order. With bolt ons like these its go as you please.

OP, in my opinion you should just go stage 2. Its nothing crazy, very reliable, and will give you the sound you are looking for. I, for one, love Invidia. They just sound so damn sexy on our cars and have the best tone i have ever heard. When purchasing the downpipe, just be sure to get a catted one bc that will help with emissions laws. (whatever they may be in your state) Match that with the cobb SF intake, or an intake of your choice, BAM. Stage 2. Just don't forget the accessport and the tune itself! Youll make a noticible power increase, have that low boxer rumble, the little whoooosh from the intake when you build boost.

Other than stage 2, get some nice looking wheels and tires, coilovers, front and rear sway bars, and some engine bay dress up pieces and some better brake pads. That should, by what it sounds like, get you to where you want to be.
    Last edited by WRX-maniac; 03-22-2014 at 01:16 PM.
    2011 WRB WRX hatchback---Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #301
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ld-thread.html <----Build Thread