2011 WRX (Roxie) Became a Dirty Bitch (renewed thread for those who think of lifting)

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX (Roxie) Became a Dirty Bitch (renewed thread for those who think of lifting) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Alright people, since the original thread disappeared before (not sure why, as it also disappeared off NAZIOC too after I ...

2011 WRX (Roxie) Became a Dirty Bitch (renewed thread for those who think of lifting)

Alright people, since the original thread disappeared before (not sure why, as it also disappeared off NAZIOC too after I bought Bianca to replace Roxie). I started this thread back in January of 2012 so I'll just copy/pasta the old posts in from another forum and later on consolidate and condense it down for easier reading. So here we go. (I'm going to use italics in parts to clarify things in the build since I'm not including some of the updates I made (i.e. things bought, or popped tires))

12JAN2012: This is my first journal, so here goes: bought this car in March of 2011 so I could get rid of my 2005 Dodge Neon (2nd car, after my '89 Mazda 323 with 277k on it). The neon wasn't a horrid car, and it gave me plenty of good years of beating on it bad (tank trails, psychotic snow driving A.K.A. normal WRX driving) it was just time for a change. Looked at a few vehicles in my search (Civic, Sentra SE-R, Speed3, etc) but finally figured out a few pre-reqs for any car I'd want. I needed a car I'd like seeing, wanted 200+ HP & something reliable and decently built. As I whittled the list down, I finally decided on going AWD and Audi & BMW were (still are) out of my price range. I decided I really liked the STi & the Evo, but my wife would not agree to me spending that much, so we compromised and I went with a WRX and I've taken to calling her Roxie. I did the whole shebangle (limited sedan, heated seats & HIDs FTW!) and I've loved the car since, but since I'll probably always wish I got the STi instead, I may eventually do a full swap over to STi drivetrain. And thus the quest for a bit more power out of the car starts. Within a month I was wanting a little more out of the car, so I bought a Cobb AP and went stage 1. Obligatory pics:
    With the ebay lip I liked so much:

Roxie & I:

Fast forward another 8 months to now, I have given up any thoughts of going the lower route, as the whole idea sickens me, plus function is always> form. So I have the bug to get more dirt in my life and Roxie's existence. This is my current mod list:
    - Kartboy Endlinks (Front & Rear)
    - Whiteline Rear Differential Positive Power Front Kit
    - GTSPEC Front Strut Brace
    - Cobb AccessPort – Custom Tune Stage 2+ by Eric Mineheart
    - SPT Axle Back Exhaust
    - Kartboy Short Throw Shifter
    - Kartboy Shifter Bushings (Front & Rear)
    - GrimmSpeed PnP/ Coated Headers, Hi-Flow X-Pipe & Up-Pipe
    - Invidia Hi-flow Catted Down-Pipe
    - Cobb Short Ram Intake
    - Forge Recirculating BPV
    - DeatschWerks DW65C Fuel Pump
    - Spearco TMIC
    - RalliTek Sway Bars (22mm front & 19mm rear)
    - SPT Lower H-Brace
    - Feal Suspension Front Strut Rebuild/ Feal Suspension Rear Struts – Gravel Spec w/ King Springs
    - Braid Winrace TA (5ea.) in 15x6.5et45
    - Grilltek Grills – Hood-scoop, Center Grill & Lower Grill
    - Perrin Short Antenna
    - RallyArmor UR Mud-flaps
    - HKS Turbo Timer
    - GrimmSpeed Turbo Heat Shield
    - Carbign Craft Carbon Fiber Alternator Cover
    - SMY ClusterMaker Dual Gauge Pod 52mm
    - Windshield Dual Gauge Pod 52mm
    - ProSport Evo Gauges (Boost & EGT)
    - WeatherTech Window Deflectors
    - GrimmSpeed Air Oil Separator
    - Subtle Solutions WRX License Plate Delete
    - Hella Supertones on SubieMods Mounting Plate
    - Delrin Shift Knob from Killer B Motor Sports
    - GTSPEC D-Shaped Steering Wheel
    - Primitive Racing Skid Plate w/ Stinger + Rear Skid Plate
    - Custom steel frame bumper made by Nick @ Shaving Seconds in Las Cruces, NM

Buh bye lip, I'll miss you, kinda (silly low-ish car, don't go off-road) + Stupid raccoon, :angryfinger: sorry bumper :

Skid plates:

My plans as of right now are to install some Feal revalved struts with King springs (on order, waiting for the some rear struts to get to Odi for the spring perches), SPT H-Brace & '09 STi Rear Sway Bar (bought BNIB from someone on 3gwrx) and I may upgrade the front sway bar too, eventually. As things go on, I'll update my list and put the post number links in the saved blanks. :thumbsup: And, since it's a journal, my latest mod :mrgreen:

:headbang:
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 02:36 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

12JAN2012:

Photo opportunity I found in the desert:

More fun in the desert, got stuck for a few minutes and had to rely on my old Minnesota driving skills to get out of the deep ass rut.

My bumper now:

And a pic I took tonight:
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

25MAR2012: Had a leaking TMIC, so I did the Bulletproof Mod. Link to the LGT thread: LINK
    And the pic for those more visually oriented:

*Not mine, stolen from the thread, but more or less, looks the same.

MAR-APR2012: Had some issues with the rebuilt struts, came out and went in a couple times. Broke top hat studs in last install (of time period) and decided to install the 1" spacers. One of the afternoons we (my bro Chris who helped with a lot of stuff) took her out for a test drive and did a semi mountain climb. Got some good pics, will post them later. Ended up puncturing a tire with a cactus, and took a chunk out of the sidewall of the other tire with a rock. Long bunch of work, but worth it mostly. Now to get 2 replacement tires and then use this as an excuse to get me some 15 and some A/T tires.

16APR2012: Alright peeps, time for some more pics (pics from previous forays during time period) as I promised, just going to be some my bro took during our foray through the desert and up a small mountain/large hill. Need to get started on editing the ones on my iphone now.
    Couple of my favorites:

An idea of what I was driving over out there:

And what kind of situation I drove up:

When I get my pics up, you will be able to see how far down the hill Chris was when he snapped that pic, because I got a pic down the hills when he was taking the pics up. Plus that was the lower plateau of the big hill, here is the peak (or vice versa):

And just a couple more:

And a comparison of mine to his stock suspension 2010 WRX and 2??? F150:
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 02:34 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

16APR2012: Got in some mud today. It was pretty fun, may go get some more on it tomorrow....

(Started the build-up of getting a light-bar/tube bumper)

13MAY2012: This is the brush guard so far, as of last night. Nick at Shaving Seconds in Las Cruces, NM is who is building it. Thinking it needs a wider light bar hoop (inner corner of the headlights), and I think the hoop should start at the bottom bar. Here are the pics though:

14MAY2012: Wider light hoop:

Finished and doing a pose, still gotta dismantle it again, primer it and put on some truck bed liner:

Braid TA 15x6.5s should be here from Spain soon, and some 205/70R15 or 215/70R15 Geolanders will be going on with them.

21MAY2012: Primed:

Liner about finished:

Close-up, since it looked more like wrinkle black powder coat than bed liner:

25MAY2012:
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 02:44 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

New wheels arrive:

26MAY2012: Whelp, the tire place installed the rubber on my Braid's, but they wouldn't install the wheels on the car, due to the Geolanders (215/70-15) having an "S" rating. Oh well, I installed them myself. Pics of the fun:
    A comparison of the wheels:

Everything installed, and I forgot to mention that I installed my Rigid Industries 10" combo LED light:

Lit up:

Should have a chance to get some sort of action pics tomorrow hopefully....

Here are some output pics!!
    Everything together:

Low beams:

High beams:

LEDs alone:

And everything:

All I know is that now I want some more up there. Maybe 2 of the D series, one flood and one spot.......

27MAY2012: Got it pretty dirty today, ran over a small thorny tree and even managed to crush in one of the plates. Did it by finding one of the nasty ravines crossing the desert trails at a good clip and slamming the front end into one of the wadis. Here's some vids of that day (since only one can be embedded):

Desert Run 27May2012 Part 2 of 4 - YouTube
    Desert Run 27May2012 Part 3 of 4 - YouTube
    Desert Run 27May2012 Part 4 of 4 - YouTube

JUN2012: Installed the Spearco TMIC. Pain in the ass install, beautiful results after e-tune was finalized. Didn't take any pics though, so here's one from another trip to the desert.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 05:05 AM.

12JUL2012: Went mudding today, wish the mud was a little muddier and not so watery though. Oh well, thin mud is better than no mud.

Need to get some action pics seriously......

6AUG2012: Added some more LED lighting to my dirty girl.

Low beams:

High beams:

LED spots and combo lamp:

High beams and LED spots and combo lamp:

A front view with all lit:

Some daytime pics:

And the heat shields, since I was out there.

22AUG2012: Just installed some "i" badges:

Old spot, new pic:
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 04:06 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

At this point (beginning of September) I started thinking about trading her in for an older Impreza model (for reasons), an '06 or '07 specifically. There is a thread on here that I made discussing the pluses and minuses of the switch, no need to quote it i here again as I'm not going to justify my reasons for the decision. I ultimately decided to go with an '06 STi, and was in search of ones that were either completely or almost completely stock still.

Spent the next few months hunting for the right car, multiple times of finding one that was as close to my wants as possible but would then be sold almost as soon as I found it, or right after I got any info on one. Expanded my search a bit more, but still wasn't having any good luck. So during that time I started the return to stock for Roxie. October ended with the suspension and engine components completely back to stock, Nonmember ended with a new bumper and fender liners, along with some paint correction (scratches from the desert).

21NOV2012: This is what she looks like after the full return to stock, going to kind of miss her, since she's looking so good now. Oh well, almost gone now.

Car hunt continued. Couple close shots (one wouldn't come up on the trade-in, other place wouldn't come down on their ridiculous price: $27k for a formerly stage 2(+?) car with over 75k on it and a blow-off-valve still in).
    3FEB2012: Got my STi!! Had to drive about 10 hours (Austin, TX) to get it though. '06 STi in OBP with tinted windows (~30-50% I'd guess), 72k on the odometer and completely stock with zero evidence of previous modification. No rough bolts, no missing heat shields, etc. Runs great with one issue: a leak into the power steering system (easily fixed, took replacing a rubber gasket). Bought her (Bianca) for $20k (before the tradein of Roxie knocked it down to ~$13k out-the-door). And here are some pictures to close out the thread properly.

Dealer pics:

Bianca and my bro, Preston's car:

Bianca's build thread is in my signature and here's a link: Bianca ('06 STi), A New Start.
    Last edited by gregroot198521; 03-11-2014 at 04:53 AM.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

post 8....
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

post 9...
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread

That car is badass. Nice job on everything.

Love that light bar. Can't believe how much light it throws out. Should be standard on all cars!

Approximately how much $$ do you have into your suspension? That ride height looks just about right.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew_V View Post
    That car is badass. Nice job on everything.

Love that light bar. Can't believe how much light it throws out. Should be standard on all cars!

Approximately how much $$ do you have into your suspension? That ride height looks just about right.
    Thanks.

Going off of memory and estimates (at the 2.something" lift height, not including bigger rubber):
    spare struts - ~$200
    Reavalve of struts by Feal/rear strut change - ~$800
    King springs (~1"+ lift) - ~$430
    Subtle Solutions 1" spacers - ~200
    5x 15x6.5" Braid Winrace - ~$1200
    5x 215/70-15 Yoko Geos - ~$850

The lift components (springs and various spacers including the Subtle setup)) are still sitting around (yes, after all this time still looking for a new home).
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread