Opinions Welcome! Potential Mod List
Results 1 to 7 of 7

This is a discussion on Opinions Welcome! Potential Mod List within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok Guys, I am a newbie to subbies, but I am no stranger to speed and modifications. Previously I have ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    22

    Opinions Welcome! Potential Mod List

    Ok Guys,

    I am a newbie to subbies, but I am no stranger to speed and modifications. Previously I have been heavy into the street bike scene, but after a close call and nearly being paralyzed in a wreck, I decided to hang it up.

    That being said.. I want this car to be faster! It is bone stock, and initially I felt like it had some get up and go, but coming from a ZX-10 with 0-60 in the 3.4s range... yea!

    I have been poking around and have been contemplating the following mod list:

    1. Cobb Tuning Front/Rear Sway bar
    2. Cobb Tuning Stage 2 upgrade kit - Includes: Cobb Tuning Air Box & Intake, Cobb Tuning 2" Up-Pipe, Cobb Tuning 3" Down-Pipe, Cat Back 3" Exhaust
    3. Cobb Tuning STS & Bushings

    If I do the stage 2 upgrade, am I going to have to replace the clutch? bigger brakes?

    My intended use for the car: Daily Driver, Weekend Ski Trips, General Hooligan type behavior.

    Let me know what you think.

    Edit: Cobb Tuning Stage 2 Upgrade kit comes with V3 controller - gives diagnostics and has preloaded maps.
    Last edited by Cole_; 02-25-2014 at 01:06 PM.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,040
    There is a lot you're dipping into there. Be sure to read up on everything you are doing. Every Engine related mod you listed up there requires a tune. But a stage two level sounds pretty good for the type of driving you want.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    There is a lot you're dipping into there. Be sure to read up on everything you are doing. Every Engine related mod you listed up there requires a tune. But a stage two level sounds pretty good for the type of driving you want.
    I have talked to my local tuning shop, and the V3 controller comes with maps preloaded or so they said. I definitely don't want to have to spend thousands on tunes.

    I was under the impression that I could select from a set of pre-loaded maps. If that isn't the case, I'll save myself some $ and just do the airbox and catback exhaust.

  5. #4
    ClubWRX.net Vendor WTF Tuning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    51
    I Support ClubWRX
    What car?

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF Tuning View Post
    What car?
    2011 Subaru WRX 5 door Premium

  7. #6
    Registered User McBill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Buckeye State
    Posts
    1,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Cole_ View Post
    I have talked to my local tuning shop, and the V3 controller comes with maps preloaded or so they said. I definitely don't want to have to spend thousands on tunes.

    I was under the impression that I could select from a set of pre-loaded maps. If that isn't the case, I'll save myself some $ and just do the airbox and catback exhaust.
    The Cobb Accessport V3 will be perfect for your mods. Once you start doing more than just a full turbo back exhaust and an intake is when you need to pro tune (custom tune) and custom tunes are not always that bad. I am getting my car dyne tuned this spring and it is only $500 flat. But again, for your scenario, the AP V3 is by far more than adequate and possibly even the better option. This is due to all the things you can do yourself with it and the ease of data logging. Also the new V3 comes with the ability to monitor up to 6 different gauges at one time on screen.

    EDIT: Keep in mind, you don't have to JUST by Cobb everything. Read up on all parts to see what you may want the best. There are plenty of different parts brands out there. With that said, having all Cobb parts on the engine (the ones that are in the stage two kit) make it easier to get a MAP for your AP directly from Cobb thus making the MAP more accurate. I'm not sure if Cobb makes maps for other brands' parts.
    Last edited by McBill; 02-25-2014 at 06:48 PM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

  8. #7
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    The Cobb Accessport V3 will be perfect for your mods. Once you start doing more than just a full turbo back exhaust and an intake is when you need to pro tune (custom tune) and custom tunes are not always that bad. I am getting my car dyne tuned this spring and it is only $500 flat. But again, for your scenario, the AP V3 is by far more than adequate and possibly even the better option. This is due to all the things you can do yourself with it and the ease of data logging. Also the new V3 comes with the ability to monitor up to 6 different gauges at one time on screen.

    EDIT: Keep in mind, you don't have to JUST by Cobb everything. Read up on all parts to see what you may want the best. There are plenty of different parts brands out there. With that said, having all Cobb parts on the engine (the ones that are in the stage two kit) make it easier to get a MAP for your AP directly from Cobb thus making the MAP more accurate. I'm not sure if Cobb makes maps for other brands' parts.
    Thanks for the advice McBill. I have read up, and the reason I am leaning toward the Cobb tuning kit, is that everything you need is in it, and all the parts are designed to work with one another. I work about 65-70 hours a week so its worth it to me to spend a few hundred extra dollars and just swipe my card and be done. I'm on a budget, but not really.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •