Trancehead's build/mod thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Trancehead's build/mod thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by vweater1369 So kind of a silly question here as I've never really worked on a New (or ...

Quote Originally Posted by vweater1369 View Post
    So kind of a silly question here as I've never really worked on a New (or new-ish) car, just my old DSM. How long did it take you to swap all the bushings? I know the car being newer makes a world of difference for these jobs.
    Honestly that's kind of a hard question to answer since I was doing a lot of other things all at once. But if you know what you're doing I'd say a couple hours max.
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Does the stereo sound better with the new head unit?

Quote Originally Posted by paxtu22 View Post
    Does the stereo sound better with the new head unit?
    Actually, it pumps up the RMS to 14 watts from stock, I would say it is MUCH better. I'm an audiophile by nature so it's really not up to par for me, but yes, it is much better than stock
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

02/23/2014 Perrin Engine Mounts have been installed. These things are solid. No movement whatsoever. In terms of NVH, I don't so much notice vibes as I do sound, which I don't mind because it just sounds so drop dead sexy :P. It is very different from my Mazda in the fact that when I fully mounted that car the vibes were more pronounced than sound (as in I couldn't tell the difference between a cop and a roof rack lol). In terms of this install, yes it is a bit of a pain, but if you look at the instructions compared to where everything is bolted up in the car I'd say it would take two hours max from popping the hood to all buttoned back up.

As usual with my installs, they experience SOME kind of fail.....well as I was completing my MWR training so I can use the Automotive Skills Shop on any base I entrusted the install to a friend of mine. Welp, the Perrin instructions say that if the supplied bolt does fit through the frame, to cut out a small portion. The following picture is what he thought that meant.....words can't express how mad I was. The supplied washer did not fit any more so we had to take his speed6 out to Ace to pick up some bigger washers. It turned a simple two hour job into a 6 hour job :|

Last edited by trancehead; 02-23-2014 at 08:24 AM.
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Coming along nicely.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Thank you sir! I believe I saw you a few days back at the intersection of 355 and Montgomery Village. Black wagon correct?
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by trancehead View Post
    Thank you sir! I believe I saw you a few days back at the intersection of 355 and Montgomery Village. Black wagon correct?
    Yep!
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Good lookin' ride you got there man
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

So, I just got my new lightweight crank pulley in the mail yesterdya and am planning my install for tomorrow. I'm asking all y'alls professional opinions because I've seen both. My vendor (edgeautosport) and several how-to's have stated that the belts do not need to be replaced. However, Perrin, and several other how-to's state that the belts should be replaced.

The belts have 1200 miles on them brand new.....thoughts?
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

Honestly I wouldn't replace the belts...I'm sure they are fine. But I also wouldn't add a lightweight crank pulley either.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Any particular reason?
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

Any particular reason?
    There seem to be two trains of thought...those that dislike them and think they are pointless...and those that think they are beneficial and actually do help improve throttle response and rev quickness. I'm of the first train of thought because I've read many threads where people didn't see any improvement and thought it was a waste of time and money to install on up to threads where the lightweight pulley actually caused misfires as the crank wasn't as balanced. How true that proves though is beyond my scope since I just don't care to spend the money on it to find out first hand.

You on the other hand...if you already have it, go for it! I'd like to see a review when you're done. Maybe you can dispel some of the "pointless" myth.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    There seem to be two trains of thought...those that dislike them and think they are pointless...and those that think they are beneficial and actually do help improve throttle response and rev quickness. I'm of the first train of thought because I've read many threads where people didn't see any improvement and thought it was a waste of time and money to install on up to threads where the lightweight pulley actually caused misfires as the crank wasn't as balanced. How true that proves though is beyond my scope since I just don't care to spend the money on it to find out first hand.

You on the other hand...if you already have it, go for it! I'd like to see a review when you're done. Maybe you can dispel some of the "pointless" myth.
    Ah, yeah, that argument. I helped a buddy install one in his BRZ and after driving it around the AutoX course before and after I could definitely tell a difference. Now the question will be, do I notice the same thing with the WRX.
    2014 SWP WRX Hatch

Build Thread

Ah, yeah, that argument. I helped a buddy install one in his BRZ and after driving it around the AutoX course before and after I could definitely tell a difference. Now the question will be, do I notice the same thing with the WRX.
    That's a good question...but they are also very different engines

Nice Rex! Going for the same look as you. subb'd

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast