The Journey To A WRX
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on The Journey To A WRX within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here we go. Iím on a mission to have a "Freeking Awesome" WRX. This will not be an easy ...

Lightbulb The Journey To A WRX

So here we go. Iím on a mission to have a "Freeking Awesome" WRX. This will not be an easy task for me. I have limited mechanical skills and don't really know what I am doing. But, it is going to happen. Iím excited to learn a lot about cars and see everyoneís input and advice as I go. I will start by posting any ads of cars I go to check out, but that wonít happen for a few weeks because I am still deployed.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

2005 Subaru WRX

This is the WRX I have been looking at just a little worried because there is a lot already done. Calling the owner tonight to get some questions answered anything yall think I should be sure to ask? Already wondering abt the FMIC. But right there could be a good first project installing a STi TMIC. As well as how well everything was installed. 11blackSTi had already brought up that it could be a money pit if things were not done correctly. But, I plan on having a friend who is a mechanic go out and look at it with me. As well I should ask for Dyno results to make sure it was tuned correctly because of the aftermarket turbo, Right?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I wouldn't touch that

If you are limited on mechanical skills you'll want to buy a stock wrx with maintenance records. Yes it will be hard to find. Yes you'll need patience. But you'll be happy in the end

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

2003 subaru impreza wrx Turbo 2.0 65k miles
    Found this one I like. Has low miles looks nice just need to replace those ugly a$$ "Rims" Think im going to call on it instead. It really sucks not being able to see the cars in person right now. I am so ready to buy a WRX already pre-approved on a loan.

I Support ClubWRX
    Can I ask what your budget is?

In the position you are in I would not rush into anything, it will only lead you to more heartache later. Anything that has been rebadged with sti logos immediately makes think someone has tried ricing his out. I see the line about ac blowing cold (mentioned mind you in January, not like it's August..) and leads me to believe it hasn't always blow cold.

Just my 2 cents.

~Tyler K~
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk please disregard typos!

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    i dont like that it has an sti gauge cluster and magically the mileage on that, matches with the true mileage of the car

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I know all too well that urge to get a car once the decision is made, but I would urge you to exercise patience and not close on anything too hastily. Like Dez said, you'll be much better off finding a nice stock car. We've seen tons of people come on here who rushed into buying a modded wrx and lo and behold, 2-3 weeks into ownership they've got check engine lights and limp modes and misfires.

Definitely keep asking our opinion on cars too, the senior members are all pretty old hat at catching the warning signs of a poorly handled wrx.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I can attest to that. Wait and find you a good specimen if you are new to mechanic work. Otherwise you'll have a project on your hands.

Sit down and evaluate your time, your money, your skills.

I set aside half my budget as "fix it " money because I wanted a little bit of a project...and I got a lot of project. Too much for my schedule in fact, and I had to pay people to take care of some larger work because I simply didn't have time. And in hindsight, I realize a project was not a good decision, since it was going to be my daily driver. I take a city bus to school, but it's still no fun to be without a car on the weekend, or you have to miss study groups because they are meeting later than the buses run.

Just be patient.

Cars for Sale: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Austin, TX 78757: Sedan Details - 361628566 - AutoTrader.com

Given all the input I have gotten from yall I see this as more of a viable option for my first WRX.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfulsin77 View Post
    Cars for Sale: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX Sedan in Austin, TX 78757: Sedan Details - 361628566 - AutoTrader.com

Given all the input I have gotten from yall I see this as more of a viable option for my first WRX.
    That one certainly looks like a lot better than the others you have been posting. I would hesitate to endorse it over the internet (especially since there are no engine photos), but I would think it is worth looking into. I would have a knowledgeable mechanic look it over and make sure that it has all the proper evidence of maintenance (ideally service records). At that mileage it should have the timing belt done, which I would either ask for evidence of, or have it done as part of the deal. It is weird that it has leather seats. I have never seen a bugeye with white leather seats. I would assume that was done after-market, but that's not necessarily a bad thing (unless it had flood damage or something, but that would do a lot more than ruin the seats). One of the keys to having a mechanic look at it, who is knowlegeable with subarus, is that they would be able to tell if it has been modified in it's past better than the average joe. If I were to buy a car that old, I would also ask for a leakdown/compression test to be performed as part of my purchase (thrown in for free). Also, the uppipe on this generation car will deteriorate overtime (the catalytic converter in the uppipe that is - older gens have a catted uppipe), so I would get that replaced asap if you do end up getting this car (or any bugeye for that matter). Good luck and keep us posted!

She is mine! Got me a STI.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/06-TX-SUBARU...p2047675.l2557

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Congrats man! Just so you know, they did not make STi's in wagon form in the US until 2008 (hatchback). So that is most likely a WRX that has an STi swap.

Quote Originally Posted by 11blackSTi View Post
    Congrats man! Just so you know, they did not make STi's in wagon form in the US until 2008 (hatchback). So that is most likely a WRX that has an STi swap.
    Thanks for the heads up! Im tracking I like it how many other people have a 06 STi wagon? I was looking for something that would set me apart, where i live subies are very common.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawfulsin77 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up! Im tracking I like it how many other people have a 06 STi wagon? I was looking for something that would set me apart, where i live subies are very common.

Glad you got something you like! I missed that was an 06. I assumed it was a 2005 due to the blobeye body. They must have done a blobeye face/back end/wheel swap too. They do look like TR seats. Either that or they got the year wrong.
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 02-01-2014 at 04:05 AM.

We'll sorry it's been so long been busy with returning home! The 06 fell through but I am just as happy. I got me a bug eye it needs some work but it's mine!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast