S20002STI's build thread/journal
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on S20002STI's build thread/journal within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I got the WRX a base 2014 on 12/06/2013 from Heuberger Motors. I had some nice cars in the past ...

I got the WRX a base 2014 on 12/06/2013 from Heuberger Motors. I had some nice cars in the past and I am really looking forward to what the WRX offers in terms of being a performance car as well as a family car

The day I picked it up, I had the stock tires taken off and had them put on some A/S tires. The salesman is on the right!

It was around -15 degrees!

First Mod is a Red Perrin Radiator Shroud, that I won from my salesman Clint Earhart

12/16/2013 I had the car tinted at Pro-Tek. 35% front and rear window, 20% hatch window, and 20% windshield visor.
    Here are the before and after pics!

On 12/16/2013 I installed a red Perrin Alternator/Pulley Cover

Other Mods
    STi Short throw shifter
    Arm rest extender
    Fog light kit
    Moddiction Anvil Shift Knob
    Red footwell illumination
    Magnaflow 3" Catback exhaust
    Perrin 3" Shorty Antenna

Wanted
    Navigation
    Anti-Sway Bars
    Cobb V3 AP
    Under seat subwoofer
    Boost gauge
    Perrin Strut Bar
    Perrin Radiator hoses
    Last edited by S20002STI; 01-22-2014 at 03:30 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

On 01/05/2014 I installed a Moddiction Anvil Textured dark gray weighted shift knob. It feels more solid than the stock knob weighing more than a pound. The texture has a nice feel as well. Definitely lower than the stock knob as well. Took away some of the notchy feeling but it is still chunky. Over all think it will be a great add on!

The flash makes it look lighter. It is a real nice dark gray. I will get some pics in the daylight some time.

01/11/2014- I installed a Perrin 3" Shorty Antenna. Some crazy reason my stock antenna was busted off and lost. Only thing I can think of is from the car wash. Either way I decided to get the perrin. I had to drill out the little bit of screw that was stuck inside the mast. Once that came out the new Perrin screwed right in! Here it is!

01/12/2014- Today a friend and I installed a 3" Magnaflow catback exhaust. The install went great! We just unbolted the stock exhaust from the cat, removed everything from the hangers, and pulled it all out in one shot. It took maybe 10 minutes. We then put the Magnaflow together, bolted it to the cat then put it in the hangers. Last we attached the tips. The 4" tips I thought might be too big, but I was really impressed with how they looked. They fill the cut outs nicely, well made, and look great.

The sound is amazing. Very deep and rumbly. It isn't loud as some people have said. You can hear it while driving but the drone is almost non existent. I got the exhaust for 400 shipped new. For the price it was well worth it! The build quality and sound quality is excellent.

Last edited by S20002STI; 01-21-2014 at 09:47 PM.

Looking good man, keep it up.
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

Thanks Chief!

Today I finally reached my break-in! Went ahead and got an oil change today as well. Used Amsoil 5W30 signature series with an OEM filter.
    Last edited by S20002STI; 01-21-2014 at 10:35 PM.

hard to drive that sucker in boots?

Quote Originally Posted by schufflerbot View Post
    hard to drive that sucker in boots?
    Haha I should have clarified. That's the salesman! I imagine it would be though, lol

Today a good friend and I installed this AEM Digital Boost Gauge and SMY Dual Cluster. It really went smooth and was a lot easier than I worked it up to be. We just took our time and made sure everything was done right. The gauge only needed to be wired to the ACC for power and grounded. It has its own illumination dimmer sensor built in so that is something nice about it. The SMY Dual Cluster fit great and and really matches like it came from the factory.

I have the pod cover for the other side in mail and should be here monday!

Looks nice

Quote Originally Posted by poi88 View Post
    Looks nice
    Thanks!

Looking good man! I'll be putting my front lip on hopefully this weekend. Calls for metric drill bits. Who uses metric drill bits.....

Hey man do you have a write up for that boost gauge install?!
    2014 Subaru WRX
    Torqued Performance Stage 2
    Stink-Eye Mob #0022
    Build Thread
    First Mods, what to do and not to do

02/08/2014 I installed an Alpine UTE-42BT Digital Media Receiver and a Sound Ordnance b8td under the seat subwoofer. Here are links to the products.
    Alpine UTE-42BT Digital media receiver at Crutchfield.com
    Sound Ordnance B-8PTD 125-watt compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com

I bought the Alpine off a forum member who also gave me the PAC unit for the steering wheel controls. I didn't wire that in just yet because I don't want to hack into the OEM wire harness. There is another wire harness out there with the extra wires for the Metra so I may end up doing that. This is just something until I get a nice NAV unit.

The head unit made a huge difference in the sound of the stock speakers! If you guys want something reasonably priced and want a great improvement over stock you can't go wrong.

As far as the under the seat sub goes, I have never had one before and didn't know what to expect. I didn't want to fork over the money for an audio integration box, sub, and amp just yet so I went with the S/O powered sub. It comes with a free wiring kit so that is an added bonus.

The install was a lot easier than I thought it would be. With the wiring kit is the black flex loom to cover the power wire so you can't even tell I have a wire running into the car. I used the grommet by the passenger side. It just came right out in foot well. Then I ran all the wires under the carpet by the center console. I then cut a small slit in the carpet to run the wires under the seat. The easiest way to do it is just unbolt the passenger seat and lean it forward so you can put the sub in. Then lean it back so you can have access to everything. You can't lean it back and put the sub in because the wire for the air bag blocks it. But with the sub in you won't have to worry about it.

For all the great reviews I am not the most impressed. I wasn't expecting to shake the rear view, but I wanted something that would be noticeable. Some songs it really lacks. It is supposed to hit down to 40hz but it can't really hit the lows. The wireless remote control is pretty much good for either turning it full blast or off. Don't really notice any in between. I was able to use the Alpine Subwoofer adjustments add a little more fine tuning. I called Crutchfield and they said that I could try the Kicker Hideaway sub and keep the free install kit if I wanted to. They have a 60 day no hassle return or exchange policy so that is great. I will give this a week or so and if I really am not happy I will see about trying the Kicker out. The only bad thing is that the kicker would still be another 140.00 since it is 300.00.
    Kicker 11HS8 Hideaway? compact powered subwoofer: 150 watts and an 8" sub at Crutchfield.com

Here are a few pics. If I switch out the S/O I will take some pics with the seat leaned back so you guys can see how the wires come in. I tried to take some pics under the seat but they aren't the best.

If you look closely at the red cover on the battery you can see the wire coming off.

Here is where it comes into the grommet on the passenger side.

With the seat all the way back.

With the seat all the way forward.

Looking at it from the front underneath.

You don't waste any time on the mods man. I've put a shift knob on so far. Haha!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.