Billy's 2011 WRX Build Thread (Optimus) - Page 5
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

This is a discussion on Billy's 2011 WRX Build Thread (Optimus) within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Looks Awesome! They blend in perfect with dash. I got to get gauges and stop using AP. I really like ...

The Guy On The Couch TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Looks Awesome!
    They blend in perfect with dash.
    I got to get gauges and stop using AP.
    I really like the wideband 02 gauge.
    Good work.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Great write-up, Billy
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX

9/2/14

Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Head Unit. It's a Pioneer AVH-X5600BHS, here is a link to a site that has some specs on it AVH-X5600BHS. This bad boy should do all I need and will help with the poor FM quality and the terrible Bluetooth connectivity issues I've been having as of late. I'm excited, should be here by next week.
    Last edited by McBill; 09-02-2014 at 08:54 AM.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Package came in the mail for me today. Install will be on Sunday afternoon. I'll post pictures and a review about the install on Monday or Tuesday! I'm excited to get rid of that Bluetooth connectivity issue.

2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Sweet!
    Can't wait to see the write up and end results.
    Now your making me want one!
    Great choice.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX

Update: 9/14/2014

So this one will be short and sweet but with lots of pictures. Install was very straight forward. put together the harness bridge that links the stock harness to the aftermarket plug. Then I wired in the DVD bypass into the correct wires (there is only three), wired up the steering wheel control module (which was also laid out and easy), and hooked up the USB port adapter.

The hardest part was hooking up the backup camera. This requires a power wire that runs to the head unit being attached to the hot wire of the reverse lights, and a video cable running from the camera in the rear all the way to the front. The camera itself also requires a constant power wire and a ground which was easy to find. Now the reason the head unit needs the reverse lights hot wire is pretty straight forward. This allows the camera to only turn on and take over the full display when you are in reverse. Now, typically you would wire the camera to the same source as the head unit (reverse lights). My reasoning for wiring it to a constant power source is that doing it this way allows me to use the camera whenever I please by very easily changing the setting on the head unit to take the power from the video line instead of the power source the head unit is wired to (reverse lights). After I wired everything up to make sure it works, I ran all the wiring down the passenger side kick panels, under the back seat, and into the trunk paneling following the light harness from there to the trunk trim above the license plate. I then had to remove the trunk paneling to wire the rest of the way and to remove the trunk trim. The trunk trim is held on by two small nuts and two more clips. Very easy to remove. Once I removed it and disconnected the stock wire harness, I drilled a hole dead center bid enough to fit the bolt on my camera. This hole is on the bottom of the trim right above the license plate. Once that was done I sealed the hole with the 3m tape provided, bolted the camera in place, wired everything back up, and put the trunk back together.

Now that I'm done with that, it's picture time kids!!!!!

Here are a couple of the camera mounted up to the trunk trim.

Finally, here is a picture of the backup camera in action.

Welp, there you have it. Thanks again for following along... Until next time
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Nice write up Billy!

I have not yet seen the stock deck removed. How hard was it to remove?
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    1996 Honda Civic Lx

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    Nice write up Billy!

I have not yet seen the stock deck removed. How hard was it to remove?
    It's quite easy. You remove the radio and air duct bezel by prying it off with your fingernails, it comes right off. Then from there it's 4 phillips head screw drivers and pulling out the stock head unit harness. It takes less than 10 minutes.
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.