A build thread from up North

This is a discussion on A build thread from up North within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Better late than never I guess... I finally had some time (bored at work) to sit down and start a ...

A build thread from up North

Better late than never I guess... I finally had some time (bored at work) to sit down and start a thread:

I purchased my 11' WRX from Otto's Subaru in Ottawa, ON in March of 2012. It was one of those trips where you go out for some groceries and get caught across the street at a dealership making a rather large financial decision..

My previous vehicle was a 2010 Ford Escape XLT with every factory option. I had no complaints about it whatsoever, but for some reason I couldn't stop thinking about owning a WRX. It seems to be unheard of, but the dealer took my trade in for what I owed on it.. and gave me $4000 off MSRP for the WRX. How could I pass up a deal like that??

Once the paperwork was done, I pre-ordered a few parts that I was interested (RA mudflaps, HID kit from TRS, Hella's)

Here she is soon after I got it home with the RA's installed:

I ordered the HID retrofit kit from Andrew @ TRS and I would highly recommend them based on customer service and the quality of products they sell. As I write this, the HID kit has been installed for roughly 18 months with no issues.

A few pic's of the install:

Before re-installing the lights and front bumper, I made a custom bracket for the Hella Supertones, painted the grills on the gunmetal grey to match the stock rims and installed them using the factory hood latch bolt location. I also removed the wrx logo from the front grill.

After a few more weeks of driving the car daily, It didn't take long to realize the stock head unit left a lot to be desired. I ordered a Pioneer AVH-8400BH head unit along with the iPod cable for App Mode capability.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fast Forward a year or so.. it was time to start adding a few more things.

First was a Bayson R fron lip. In retrospect I should have installed it before the first winter.. unfortunately for me on the way to work one morning, a snow plow merged in front of me and covered my lane with icy debris from an earlier snowfall. I wasn't going very fast at the time, but there was no stopping or getting out of the way of some of the massive pieces of ice. My front bumper suffered a small crack that was very close to being a complete hole.

Second was an Invidia Q300 Ti Tip Catback exhaust. I absolutely love the sound and the look of it.

The parts that followed in no particular order are:

Cobb SF intake with heatshield
    Forge recirculating BPV
    Perrin lightweight crank pulley
    GMS throttle body hose
    Kartboy STS with front/rear bushings
    3" Lachute Performance catted downpipe
    Cobb turbo heatshield
    Red footwell illumination kit
    Weathertech digital floor mats
    Weathertech window visors
    OEM roof racks

(Unfortunately I did not take any pictures during the install of those parts...)

I then decided to take apart my headlights again in order to paint the projector shrouds black:

Among the parts listed above, I installed a Cobb AP and started with stage 1 originally. I purchased the Cobb SF intake and ran S1+ for a little while before finally installing a DP as well. It was nice to see the variation between different levels and actually drive the car for a little while in between.

After going Stage 2, I didn't wait very long before contacting Eric at Torqued Performance for one of his maps. It took roughly 5 revisions to get the car dialed in to where we were both happy with the numbers and how it felt for me to drive. It has now been about 10k with his map and I have nothing but good things to say about it.

I made my own AP holder out of an Arkon cell phone mount:

Decided to play with some plasti-dip and blacked out the front fender badges. The took some 3M 1080 Vinyl and got rid of the chrome around the windows for now.

3M vinyl was pretty easy to work with, and after seeing other members use the carbon look on the dash surround and console area I thought I'd give it a try..

Next I got ahold of OEM roof racks for a good price, and plasti dipped them black as well. Bought the Inno medium fairing so compliment everything.

Used more carbon vinyl on the trunk trim to get rid of the silver, and applied some light smoke vinyl to the reverse and turn signals at the same time.

Now that winter is quickly approaching us yet again, I ordered new wheels and tires in anticipation of possibly doing a Brembo upgrade sooner than later.

Wheels Gold XXR 530 17x8.25 et35 (Good enough for winter)
    Tires Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 235/45/17

As she sits right now..

On order:
    Anarchy Motive Matte White shift knob
    Podi Boost/Oil Pressure gauges (JCS dual gauge A-piller Pod)

Next Spring:
    Whiteline Sways with Kartboy endlinks
    Black Enkei PF01 18's with Michelin PSS
    Grimmspeed TMIC (when they make it to production)
    Strut/Spring Combo eventually..

Hey, nice thread. I'd like to know how's your Bayson R front lip holding up? Did you have to drill any extra holes on the lip and on the bottom of the front bumper or you used double-sided 3M tape?
    Midnight~