Subaru WRX Forum banner

Shifting Lanes Does: a build thread

30K views 177 replies 31 participants last post by  ThatBroBill 
#1 · (Edited)
Before I purchased my WRX, I was on here for a few months gathering info and knowledge about tuning and modifications. I still have much to learn, but I believe I've built a good list of things to do over time and an average knowledge base as to what essentials are needed. This will be a bit of an unorthodox build thread as this won't be a built WRX for some time. Let's call this more of a journal. Here you will find any modifications done, as you would a normal build thread. However, I will be logging all routine maintenance, miles at the time of maintenance, problems/fixes, and anything else in the day-to-day of owning a WRX. Hopefully, this will help anyone in the future looking for answers about daily driving or how this particular car behaves on a day-to-day basis. I'm always available to answer any questions so feel free to PM me.

My car was purchased from Ramsey Subaru in Ramsey, NJ on 9/9/13. I had originally placed the order on 5/28, but missed the cut off for '13 orders. Therefore, my model is a 2014 which was processed on 8/1/13. Clayton was my salesman and is a member on this forum. I highly recommend going through him if you are to purchase as he made the process smooth, easy, and gave me an excellent price.

The WRX I ordered was a 2014 dark grey metallic (DGM) limited hatchback with the following options: short-throw-shifter (STS), armrest extender, cross bar kit, ski clips & carrier, auto dim mirror with homelink, and sat nav. I will be receiving all weather mats when I pick up my plates.

Below is a list of current purchased/installed mods along with a wish list of future mods:

Installed/Used

WC Lathe Werks shift knob - WRX Hybrid Piston

Winter wheels and tires – 04 WRX stock wheels with General Altimax Arctic tires (205/16/55)

Sway bars and Endlinks - Whiteline sways (24 front/22 rear) w/ Kartboy ends

Bayson R CS style poly front lip

Nameless Magnaflow Axleback exhaust with 3.5" non-staggered tips

To come

WTF Stage 1 tune

Intake

Dynamat (only if audio upgrade)

Thule roof storage

Mountain bike rack

Gone

Bayson R V-limited style poly front lip (RIP)

I have changed my mind and definitely do want to tweak on this car, eventually. Any work that will be done to the engine/handling of the car will be done well after owning for a year or two. Further bulletins as events warrant. As for now, enjoy the pictures from the day of delivery.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru impreza wrx sti Subaru
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Subaru Subaru
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Subaru

See less See more
#7 ·
Nice start!

Save your money on the COBB headshield. Not necessary until you get a larger downpipe (and of course if you don't want to cut up the stock heat shield).

I also have that CF lip, and will take it off/on during the winter/summer, as mcdbrendan suggested. No need to use that as a plow!

#8 ·
I would get a turbo blanket compared to a shield. The heat soak is reduced more with the blanket than the shield.

For example, I am able to put my fingers on the blanket, after a drive, and not get burnt. I cannot say the same with the shield. Also the shield has more spaces where the heat can escape

#9 ·
If he took this route and wanted to have a shield in addition to the blanket, then he would then have to get a new shield too, as the stock shield would not fit over the blanket! Either way, I agree that a (good) blanket would probably prevent heat soak better than a shield. A shield would really help to prevent any damage from leaks though rather than heat soak (even though it is called a "heat shield," and probably does prevent some heat soak).

#11 ·
Just passed 1000 miles on the commute this morning. Got into boost hard for the first time and took her over 4k (less a few spirited times during the first 1000 miles) on a consistent basis on a few back roads on the way to work. Was really nice enjoying not having to baby the car. Next up 3000 mile oil change. Here are a few pics of some Subie love from the past two mornings. BRZ keeps following me around at work.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Parking Parking lot

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Full-size car Mid-size car

#57 ·
Just passed 1000 miles on the commute this morning. Got into boost hard for the first time and took her over 4k (less a few spirited times during the first 1000 miles) on a consistent basis on a few back roads on the way to work. Was really nice enjoying not having to baby the car. Next up 3000 mile oil change. Here are a few pics of some Subie love from the past two mornings. BRZ keeps following me around at work.

View attachment 116465
View attachment 116473
So that parking garage looks awefully familiar... Are you in the JLL managed buildings off of interpace Pkwy in Parsiappany? I am too!

#14 · (Edited)
Went to my first meat yesterday. Was a blast. Nice to meat some of the people on here. Two things: 1) Installed WC Lathe Werks shift knob (co-polymer piston, link is in the OP)

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Gear shift Center console

2) On the way back took a few shots with the sun setting. Not bad for a iPhone.

Vehicle Car Sky Luxury vehicle Personal luxury car

Vehicle Car Luxury vehicle Performance car Road

That is all for now. Next up is winter wheels and tires.

#15 ·
What a great looking car, you must have an amazing salesman! :woocow: I noticed you forgot one mod on your list though... +rep for the first one to ID this:

#18 ·
Winner! "FLOOR MAT BRACKET SINGL PART# J5010FG110"

Shiftinglanes car came without one for some reason.

#21 ·
Nice ride, DGM is a great color for the hatchback. I'm looking at the WRX as a running mate for my Lightning Red BRZ M/T. I traded my Legacy GT for the BRZ and do not miss the GT. I loved the power of the 2.5 Turbo and AWD so the sportier WRX has got me looking.

#22 · (Edited)
Got NOS????!!! Rad brah! Check out this pic, you can see how without the floor mat bracket the car is way off balance:

#29 · (Edited)
So some of you have heard, but sad times last week with my car. On Thursday night I was driving home from LGA airport in New York and on 278 WB a large metal pipe was kicked up into the center divider, hit a light post and I hear a very loud "CLANG," was kicked back into the road spinning, and as I slammed on my breaks it hit the front right hand part of my bumper. Luckily, the brakes did their job with no wheel lock and I was able to break in time to not only avoid damage to the hood/windshield, but also the keep my girlfriend and I from serious injury. We're both convinced that If this thing hit the windshield, it was coming through. Pictures are below. Insurance will cover it all, less the $500 deductible.

This paint chip is actually where the wheel well bubbled from the force of the impact on the front bumper. The piece of metal never actually hit the wheel well.
Automotive exterior Tire Wheel Auto part Automotive wheel system

Bumper, housing, and vent gone.
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper

Underneath bumper crack
Property House Real estate Architecture Building

Another angle of the bumper hole
Vehicle Car Vehicle door Automotive exterior Bumper

#30 ·
So some of you have heard, but sad times last week with my car. On Thursday night I was driving home from LGA airport in New York and on 278 WB a large metal pipe was kicked up into the center divider, hit a light post and I hear a very loud "CLANG," was kicked back into the road spinning, and as I slammed on my breaks it hit the front right hand part of my bumper. Luckily, the breaks did their job with no wheel lock and I was able to break in time to not only avoid damage to the hood/windshield, but also the keep my girlfriend and I from serious injury. We're both convinced that If this thing hit the windshield, it was coming through. Pictures are below. Insurance will cover it all, less the $500 deductible.

This paint chip is actually where the wheel well bubbled from the force of the impact on the front bumper. The piece of metal never actually hit the wheel well.
View attachment 120289

Bumper, housing, and vent gone.
View attachment 120297

Underneath bumper crack
View attachment 120305

Another angle of the bumper hole
View attachment 120313
That sucks, glad to hear all involved are ok! Glad you didn't have your front lip yet?!?! haha.

#33 · (Edited)
Thanks, 650. I'm more glad about that than anything.

UPDATE: Estimate of the damage came back as around $1400. List of parts includes new bumper, fog light housing, side bumper vent, bumper clips, bumper liner. They are going to repair and try to salvage the front right fender/quarter panel. Cheaper and only has a small bend and paint loss. I agree with that as it's not damaged heavily. The bumper was 100% necessary. Going to the body shop Monday to speak with the technician that will be working on the car. I'll update again once the car is fully repaired. Anyone with questions as to how much each part cost, I'll be happy to answer and give you what the estimate came back with.

I've also updated my mod list with new things I'd like. Take a look and let me know what you think.

#34 ·
I like the updated "wishlist" looks like a stable car in the making. I think Dynamat will help even without an audio upgrade. I plan to do it soon. Goods sounds, in. Bad Sounds, out.

#40 ·
Well the car, she is fixored. Big thanks to Panas Auto Body in Oakridge, NJ. They absolutely killed it. Paint is spot on. They even repaired the front right quarter panel bubble without replacing the part. Very nice work. Highly recommend them. Pics are below.

Posted from my mobile foruming mah-sheenz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.