Shifting Lanes Does: a build thread - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

This is a discussion on Shifting Lanes Does: a build thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes UPDATE: maintenance needed, obviously. Lug-nut stud sheered off and developed a horrible vibration in the back ...

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    UPDATE: maintenance needed, obviously. Lug-nut stud sheered off and developed a horrible vibration in the back left wheel. Drove to work today after re-torquing all nuts to spec, another sheered off on the way in. Currently being towed to Ramsey for service. Oil change and 15,000 miles service to also be done. Will update when complete and with specific problems.

Posted from mobile. Give it a sec. It's going to space.
    holy space turds! only time ive seen that is when a wheel isnt installed properly and is run loose. is your wheel ok?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE: got car from dealer on Wednesday of last week (7/23) and wanted to give it a few days before I replied with the update in case anything else popped up. All is well thus far and there are no more wheel problems. Dealer said that they really have no idea what caused this. Alignment was checked along with the suspension and breaks and there are no issues with anything that would cause this sort of failure. Could have been the wheel was not put on properly last time causing a minor vibration that led to the failure of the studs. It's on the watch list for the next time I bring it in. I've been checking the tightness of the lugs with my fingers each time I go out for a drive and they have been solid with no movement as of yet. No further vibrations either.

In other news 15,000 mile service was completed at the same time with 16,447 on the clock. Everything is on working order.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    holy space turds! only time ive seen that is when a wheel isnt installed properly and is run loose. is your wheel ok?
    Hahaha space turds. The wheel seems fine and was checked. They deemed it to be without damage or warping.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    What did they end up replacing?
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    What did they end up replacing?
    Studs and lugs.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Interesting. Well hopefully it doesn't happen again.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Hey, GTFO.....
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE: and it's a big one. Lug nut wheel studs were replaced free of charge by the dealer. No claim problems. No further problems.

Installed 24mm/22mm front/rear whiteline sway bars with kartboy endlinks placed on the medium setting. Also installed kartboy front and rear shifter bushings. All work done by AZP Installs in Kenilworth, NJ. Endlinks made a poping sound a few days after install. AZP fixed free of charge a week later as well as performed a custom alignment.

Thoughts:
    1) The sways and endlinks make this car feel like it should have out of the factory. It is beyond comprehension the difference in body roll. They have nearly eliminated it entirely. Turn-in feels sharper. The car feels more balanced and more nimble. It's playful, but not out of control. The back end feels a bit lighter but in a good way. Meaning, not sitting back on it's haunches like it did on the factory sways, but aggressively leaning forward the way a good snowboarder does when taught how to properly carve a turn in the snow. All this while not sacrificing ride comfort. I'm officially a believer and will preach the gospel according to whiteline.
    2) The kartboy endlinks in particular are finicky on the GR from what I was told. That's why the popping noise occurred. This was rectified, but could cause issues if installing yourself. Be weary of this and don't panic. Not broken, just needs adjustment.
    3) The alignment was definitely needed, per the image above. Toe was out of whack. We worked on it and kept it close to stock, but added in a bit of playfulness while not going overboard. Good all around feel. Set up perfectly for DD, IMO. Great turn in with the corrected toe.
    4) The shifter bushings are meh. I don't think they were necessary, especially on such a new car. The difference is negligible to me. Once I replace the linkages, I imagine I'll feel more of a difference.

Also, yesterday was my one year anniversary of becoming a WRX owner! Oh glorious day. It's been a really fun year and I love the car just as much as I did when I got it. One year exact mileage is 19487 dead. I drive a LOT.

That's all for now.

Posted from mobile. Give it a sec. It's going to space.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Smexy, Still on my ever growing list of things to do to my car as well. Good to see some positive views on this mod. Some people tell me it's not worth it and some do. Also, glad to see your build getting back on track.

STFU
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by McBill View Post
    Smexy, Still on my ever growing list of things to do to my car as well. Good to see some positive views on this mod. Some people tell me it's not worth it and some do. Also, glad to see your build getting back on track.

STFU
    Thanks dude. I honestly recommend this mod as your first mod, even though I know it won't be YOUR first. But the change in driving physics is just stupid good.

GTFO
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Bill Freakin Murray TownLine500's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Studs and lugs.
    I'm glad to see it's all fixed now.
    I was concerned about you and your cars well being.
    STINK EYE MOB #500

2009 Subaru Impreza (I bought it new for my Mom)
    2004 Subaru WRX (Sold)
    2013 Subaru WRX Premium
    WRX genuine Face Ripping ACCELERATION!!!

My Boston Beat Down Build Thread
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...wrx-build.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks dude. I honestly recommend this mod as your first mod, even though I know it won't be YOUR first. But the change in driving physics is just stupid good.

GTFO
    My first mod, MOAR POWAAAAAA!!!!!!

Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I Support ClubWRX
    4) The shifter bushings are meh. I don't think they were necessary, especially on such a new car. The difference is negligible to me. Once I replace the linkages, I imagine I'll feel more of a difference.
    Just say " Bill you were right, you're a genius and I love you "

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by ThatBroBill View Post
    Just say " Bill you were right, you're a genius and I love you "
    Bill, STFU and GTFO. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by TownLine500 View Post
    I'm glad to see it's all fixed now.
    I was concerned about you and your cars well being.
    Thanks man. All is well in the land of Subie.
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

I Support ClubWRX
    Bill, STFU and GTFO. Ain't nobody got time fo dat.