tirerob's MBP WagonX build up ball of thread. - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on tirerob's MBP WagonX build up ball of thread. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; ok now that the bushings are as far as i can go without ordering new transverse link knuckle bolts its ...

ok now that the bushings are as far as i can go without ordering new transverse link knuckle bolts its alignment time. that took a bit, and i have alot of new respect for shops that custom align Anything...let alone our cars specifically.

first, get it on the rack straight! oh, and new summer tires.

not great numbers. were's that coming from????

aww, unplanned mod. new inner and outer tie rod ends. both inners were bad and one outer kinda-ish. new. oh...i used to have a 'strut klunk' on the right side. nope. bad inner tie rod end. just say'n. could be you to considering how many klunky struts i hear about.

like my fourth try with the new parts getting the steering wheel just right and some better numbers. rear is still out of wacky so i go for some camber bolts.

but i need one of these to get the old ones out. kripes!

new vs stuck.

and happy for now. with these numbers and the new goods under the car is driving great. only nvh was from the pitchie and its not even noticeable anymore. except at startup, but thats cool...kinda like it.

oh forgot to mention. the kumho tires i ordered(cause affordable, but lots of complaints about road noise) were NOISY! until i got the car straightened out. after that last alignment they ride just as quiet as most other tires i deal with every day, maybe quieter.

summahz! 225/50/16 kumho excta. not bad for the price.
    Last edited by tirerob; 08-29-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ok its been a long time since ive visited the build thread. time to sort out whats been done to this point.

ahh hell. ill just wing it. gotta lot of stuff to post up so here we goes lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

had a good close up look at my wheels after a wrx wash n wax weekend. the way the finish was worn off makes me think dirt road wear n tear.

the before

not very pretty. so i visited with a paint guy about some body color paint in spray cans. i chose gm silver ice for the outside of the wheel(dupont paint) and cherry red for the inside just for offset. and while i was at it i primed my calipers with vht black and coated over that with gloss black ceramic gloss black engine enamel. so far both have proved to be quite durable. ok, enough rambling. moar pics

testing the waters on the center caps. just the silvery color i was looking for. not quite stock but still close to it. pro ceede lol

not to much prep. just a 3m bristle pad and self etching primer inside and out.

first wheel primed and masked for cherry red inside test. wow did it come out bright!

here's the split line. the wheels will be remasked to spray the silver ice over the rest of the primer. i was hopinh at least when i was doing this. never done anything like it before so it was kinda figure it out as i went.

from the inside

remasked and ready for silver

first coat. silver ice ice baby! no more pitting and corrosion!

the new fully painted(3 coats of silver over grey primer and clear to finish) division line. nice over the new black calipers

the outside finish came like this.

the cherry red is off the shelf dupont color enamel. nothing special but it got cleared just like the outside finish did. so i remount the wheels and roll her outside just to see the rusty rotor hats begging for some cleanup too. next time, maybe winter tire changeover ill hit them with some black too just to finish it up.

tah dahhhhh! lol. first wheel painting.
    Rob

next up? after the wheels i started to get a little to brave i think as im still working this one out just a bit.

my rear wing used to look like this......paint sensitive viewers might look away.

i really couldnt stand it anymore it was bugging the heck out of me. so, with the same plan as the wheels more or less...

sanded and primered mostly just the top part and down the edges. the paint on the bottom is perfect of course!

fresh midnight black pearl from a spray can. looked great! smelled better lol. i was in the smaller bay for this one. needed a bigger fan. so after some dry time comes the clear again. this is where i go a bit to for and darken the paints blue hue with too much clear. but it still looks great comparatively!

much better. still to dark and its really hard to tell from these pics. but the paint is on and intact! ill take it.
    Rob

somewhere along the line the county fair happened. during a late night shift at the church diner booth someone got a little too cozy to my car...

i about went crazy. but then the owners of the car that hit me come walking out to their car and are like HEY! i hit your car pulling in, here is my info n stuff lets get it fixed! ...ok not the normal. so in the morning i called up the glass shop that later handled my busted window and he says, 17 bucks and five minutes.
    OK!

there is a tiny, Tiny crack in the right lower part of the painted housing, but thats been with the car before i got it. the mirror lens is held on with sticky tabs so a quick cleanup with alcohol after breaking off the rest of the mirror and sure enough. five minutes i had a mirror again
    Rob

speaking of that broken rear cargo window..

i was rocking some green tape. one little rock in the verry bottom back of the window. boof, sploded window.

our glass guy used good stuff. 400 bones for this one installed though. ouch!

back to new. newer...lol
    Rob

bump for wash and wax. again. lol

Rob

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Where did you get midnight black in a spray can?

A local parts store that mixes DuPont paint for the body shops. I'll post up a pic of the can with the paint codes on it at lunch. Sorry...it was late when I ran this section up. Should have a pic already lol
    Rob

ok here we go. it was recommended to me not to expect body shop results no matter how much prep you put into it because of the rapid drying paint mix. sure, its custom blended body color and it reacts just like gun sprayed paint to primer color and surface prep. and i did take some time sanding the primer before spraying. also, large surface areas might crack cause there is no flex additive in the paint. whatever, lol. it works great!

were i made my mistake was getting in a rush and applying too much clear(the same dupont clear i used on my wheels. expensive leftovers lol) each bottle of color ran about 20$ish. one bottle did the wing with enough left to probably repaint my scoop and use some for touchup if necessary. but, scoop is good and i still have some sanding/polishing left to make the wing just a bit closer to awesome. so far it is SO much better. i just have to get the sanding scratches out i think and call it done!

see we're getting there!
    Last edited by tirerob; 10-10-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    Rob

UP-DATE!! lol its been a while. the weather has been terrible and for a while my car looked less subaru and more service truck as ive been fixing bad batterys, blown radiators, frozen pipes under houses...you name it if it brakes at -40. but, i had some time to fix up a little of my own.

the new window is in. no moe crack. second time tinting the sun-strip went so much better i went for the rear door windows too. didnt come out to bad at all.

oh...and i forgot to add the gauges a while ago, along with my brand new(and just in time for the S*&^ to hit the weather fan) optima group 35r red top. i start good now lol
    Rob

nothing much done around here but hunker down while mother nature blows herself out. nothing much but throw up some insulation in the garage! -36 outside, 35 plus in the garage with just a little space heater. for the cost and work for installation, its a major improvement for working outside. just in time as ive already replaced a waterpump on my brother's dodge dakota 4.7l v8 before we did this. cooooOOoooold antifreeze!

leftovers from the roof, into the door!

one more panel and the door is done. got to run another seal around the doorframe for wind. its blowing it open a little bit and the draft is bitter freezing. ill wind up looking for that on monday with another panel of insulation.

before...

right after i put the insulation up. 40 degrees difference. this stuff is only 14$ a sheet and its gonna pay for its self quick. hopefully it wont be with a repair, but some easier cold weather startups will be nice!
    Rob

bump up for brake work update tomorrow
    Rob

alright my front brakes are straightened out. what a mess. started with a simple job, pull the calipers...machine the rotors with the procut 9.2dro. new decent pads. done and out in under a hour not wasting alot of the bosses power and heat after hours.

NO. insert normal luck .... Here

just touched it with a 14mm and snappo. of with its head. oh $#@%

a different view with all the broken. 14 years of brakes and ive never had this happen. first for everything i guess.

with that in mind and this to see, i am figuring that bracket has been broke for a while, or almost so. it wore my pads like so...and neither caliper slide pin was frozen. oh well. order parts, replace pads and rotors cause i had them anyway and park the car outside the shop overnight. insert bad luck again.

this is not a caliper for a wrx. this is a caliper for a N/A impreza. short by millimeters. &^%$ call parts house. ask why it came labeled 2.5 impreza sedan. clerk says, "nobody has a real wrx around here so i ordered the brakes for the regular car."

What?

um, so a chat insued with me having to speak with his boss.(turns out he thought i was the highschooler with the fake-a-ru sti trunk swap sedan.) so i get the right caliper, get it mounted up and repainted. spend three hours bleeding and flushing the entire system and decide i positively dislike my brake petal. just ordered Stop Tech stainless steel braided brake lines. they will probably go in when i get the pads and rotors for the rear so i am rolling to a stop on a great brake petal instead of mush, then a good petal.

much better. so far
    Rob

next on the to do list. these and the rear pads and rotors, cause im weird like that.
    oh, and a bulb burned out of my boost gauge tonight. thatll be fun to fix lol!
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.