tirerob's MBP WagonX build up ball of thread. - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on tirerob's MBP WagonX build up ball of thread. within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The pulleys, I heard from a Subaru master tech, wear out before the belt lol. Either way they're not commonly ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    The pulleys, I heard from a Subaru master tech, wear out before the belt lol. Either way they're not commonly replaced and its actually dangerous if you don't replace those along with the belt for the reasons already mentioned.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Rob, I dig your mods.

You might want to see about getting your tune on, if you haven't already. You can make alright/nice gains with what you've got on there.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    Rob, I dig your mods.

You might want to see about getting your tune on, if you haven't already. You can make alright/nice gains with what you've got on there.
    thanks man! for happy hour today we have on order a tatrix cable and a uego. TUNES COMING BABY!! well, baby steps and we really have to figure out whats wrong/messed with/ tuned with kTwn's wagon. id say his boost gauge is busted but his car pulls alot harder than mine and i hit target stock boost levels, well like a stock car. 14psi. kTwn?peaks at 18-19 and comes in at 35-3700 like a rifle. bang, speeding.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    This thread is sweet! Bringing this car back to life!

I had the same thing happen, but at 70mph. Previous owners replaced the belt but not the pulleys. Luckily the pulley didn't break, just seized briefly and then unseized. Tore a good hole in the belt but not enough to make it snap. I was told that not only is it not terribly common to replace them, but that a lot of mechanics don't even mention or recommend it because it drives up the overall cost of the timing belt change and the pulleys are good to 150k or so vs 100k for the belt.
    AAGH!! gods ya i must have been right there too. the squeeking i was hearing had to have been that pulley begging to me replaced. when the bearing let go the belt slapped the upper guides and dug that grove. all three(belt, pulley, and guides) managed to stay operating till i crawled into the garage. so close to mashing a piston. whew
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

well heck whats next. man i just want to throw in the stuff i just did but better keep it straight or ill get all confuzzed.

oh heck ya! suspension! at this point i was running clean and strong and fighting the snow was getting to be one sided. lots of fixes fixored and a few mods thrown in for good luck and happy driving. about this time i start reading the alignment threads and think, hey, i have access to a alignment rack. bout time i put all that old schooling to use!
    well, not quite. our machine in school definitely did not have laser beams. it had string. not kidding.

so what the heck, i grab the alignment tech and tell him what i want to do. custom alignment numbers. he looks at them and nods his ok. says, "good numbers for your car." for him, roughly equivilant to a hour long lecture at a college. he doesnt say much, but we listen when he does!

first up, suprise! locally available upgrade parts!

had to order the smaller rear anti sway bushings, it came with 20mm and mine is factory 17mm. begin bushing thrashing....tomorrow yawnz!.
    Last edited by tirerob; 08-27-2013 at 01:03 AM.
    Rob

lots to this kit. let see if i remember without looking it up.

sway bar and end link bushings front, stock bar
    sway bar 20 mm rear, no end link bushings
    front lower control arm bushings
    rear trailing arm bushings

add in the kit for the rear 17 mm bar and end link bushings
    jar of super sticky bushing grease
    kind of instructions. better on the website. best on the club.

first up was the rear sway. mainly ease of access and time constraints. whoops, time. this is where i learn about pb blaster and small bolt failure from rust and torque lol. i was glad i had decided to do this in stages from the beginning, every set fought in its own special way.

bolts came out fine, see rust and begin to coat Everything thats possibly coming out in pb. a bit of wire wheel and primer to keep the rust at bay for easy install. kinda lol.

till here anyway. saved the bolt frozen in the bushing. continued the beat down, the car was winning it too!

getting these in was a ...not so bad. had trouble right off the bad and looked it up. most everybody cut these in half and i did to, until our alignment tech showed me a neat trick for the larger ones that should remain solid.

first fight is over. win and noticed right out of the bay a difference. cant wait to do more!
    Rob

on to the front sway bar. this time i had More time, more pb, more prep and some new tricks!

it was a good thing to. i had more busted! what a mess. and thats really a tight fit to replace without dropping the sub frame but it works. again, new hardware after chipping off the factory welded and rusted stuff.

much better.the end links proved to be easy this time. used a vise and a really small bearing race to press them in. worked like a charm, the race just guides the bushing right in.

and done! front sway bar. really notice difference now. car feels good and starting to narrow down what i want from my alignment. have like three threads going on at the same time about it and got great responce back. at one point, near real time answers on my threads while wrenching. cant tell you how cool that is working solo!
    Rob

ok on the the really tough stuff. rear trailing arm bushings. knew i was in for the night and planned accordingly. boss tells me if im still here working in the morning i can take a break and run home for a few hours. i laughed then....

these absolutely sucked to get out. That is a old(really old) exaust pipe expander and a twenty ton press.it was the only way i could get onto that skinny pressed in steel sleeved bushing and get purchase. stil wound up with a several hour fight for four bushings to be removed. the new? with the same bearing race trick and good lube like ten minutes for all four to be re-installed. the aftermath looks something like this

hissssssss......but the new looks like this!

yay new! again, can feel the new, but feeling the new wasnt so hot this time. started to make the car feel heavy, turning became a bit harder. already new parts were making for the need to align. posted and was reminded of that. of course the car felt weird, your not done with parts(finish the system upgrade!) nor are you aligned. finish up already!!!
    Rob

time to get deep. last job under here, front lower control arms. ive heard some have to remove the sub frame for this because of a bolt location. i must have been lucky..

just a plastic panel to move aside. couple of bolts and the lower ball joint...pop

since the importance of the lower c-arm i did a bit of reading up. went to the local steel yard and had custom press tools made. got the measurements from energy suspension actually and had a solid(top piece) chopped of a raw blank and a carefully measured lower piece of heavy wall pipe. measured to fit in the rack like so.

the rear bushing was strangely the tightest fit but the simplest to press out. bout maxed out the press doing it too!
    Rob

old stuff and the press pieces i made.

Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    holy cow, kid kodak! this thread needs moar pics
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

lol, you should see the amount left out

Dang-it! pull road is blocked again...
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Dang-it! pull road is blocked again...
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    THAT IS AWESOME! Couldn't say it better myself! I'm going to go :ROFL: now.
    Made my day
    Rob

yay another box of goodies came.!

tic clunk killer, both the tic and kartboy parts. all awesome
    tic rear transverse mount bushings(due to frozen bolts, yet to be installed)
    torque solutions pitch stop
    group n rear shifter bushing to go with the energy suspension front
    spt battery tiedown. hey...i never had one so i splurged. ok not really. its just about the same price as the factory unit .

ready..GO!

got this

and this

whoops forgot about these

so i could do this(pardon the glare)

easy mod. love the directions from tic as well. good stuff

and do this...

these were so soft i pushed them out by hand!

same with this one. just popped out with thumbs. marked improvement lol.

the energy suspension replacement.

and this guy. bit of a squeeze to do without removing anything else but i got it in and good shifting is now Good Shifting!
    Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.