The BrownBat Build - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on The BrownBat Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Winters are on. Oh by the way, I got an STI wing. Haters gon' hate!...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed.jpg 
Views:	94 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	124066

Winters are on.

Oh by the way, I got an STI wing.

Haters gon' hate!
    \_(ツ)_/
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Oooo you have a saggy butt!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

**Update**

I am officially on Stage 1 by WTF Tuning. Thanks Matty.

My favorite part about this tune is definitely the Throttle Response and the Instant Boost around 2500RPM. This tune should definitely be delivered from manufacture, in my opinion. If you like to receive a more depth analysis of the stage 1 tune, definitely check out Calvinball's thread. He provides GREAT feedback.

In terms of logging, I had one successful log, where 100% of the throttle was applied from 2500RPM to redline. There was no knock at all, which was a big relief. However, I was hitting 21PSI. This was not very surprising to me since I did have some overboost issues with my stock tune. I was hitting 18psi with stock. After speaking to Matty, this definitely seems like a mechanical issue.

We suspect it could be one the following
    1) Vacuum Leak...I left my car on idle for about 20-30 minutes and at 30 minutes, my A/F Learning #1 was 8.59.
    2) Boost Creep
    3) TBA

Also, from what others have said and from my speculation, the previous owner of my car was on stage 2. Since he was on stage two he might have tweaked the WGA. Im not too sure. Once this is fixed, I will go logging more.

Here is the log where the overboost occured.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B90...it?usp=sharing
    \_(ツ)_/
    2011+ Big Mod Thread

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya
    In terms of logging, I had one successful log, where 100% of the throttle was applied from 2500RPM to redline. There was no knock at all, which was a big relief. However, I was hitting 21PSI. This was not very surprising to me since I did have some overboost issues with my stock tune. I was hitting 18psi with stock. After speaking to Matty, this definitely seems like a mechanical issue.

We suspect it could be one the following
    1) Vacuum Leak...I left my car on idle for about 20-30 minutes and at 30 minutes, my A/F Learning #1 was 8.59.
    2) Boost Creep
    3) TBA

Also, from what others have said and from my speculation, the previous owner of my car was on stage 2. Since he was on stage two he might have tweaked the WGA. Im not too sure. Once this is fixed, I will go logging more.
    I don't remember you mentioning the overboost issue on the stock tune, or else I wouldn't have sent you the initial map.

1) Check the vacuum lines from the boost control solenoid
    2) Check the BCS itself (is it stock?)
    3) Swap with known good parts

As I mentioned to you on the phone, you should either flash the stock map or the one with zero WGDC until you can get your issue resolved.
    Last edited by EJ257; 12-30-2013 at 09:07 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

**UPDATE**

Just as Mattypants predicted, the overboosting was caused by my faulty stock BCS.

I took the car into RT tuning to diagnose the overboost condition.

They did a smoke test via the Intake System and found low pressure leak at the TB to IC coupler(which is a common issue for my generation). So I will need to fix that in the near future.

The WGA was tested with air pressure. Actuator appeared to move freely, but it is rubbing on my turbo blanket, but full range of motion was correct. I may have to move the blanket a little, so it does not cause rubbing. Stock boost pill remains intact. Stock BCS is installed correctly

So, in order to be safe they disabled my BCS and directly ran the manifold pressure to the internal wastegate actuator. They tested my car with this setup and boost was at 9 psi through full RPM range, as it should be. This basically means that it is my BCS, since my actuator is working perfectly.

All the vacuum lines are zip tied to prevent blow offs and the turbo nipple is capped to prevent leakage.

Now, to find a working stock BCS. Anyone have one?
    \_(ツ)_/
    2011+ Big Mod Thread

Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    They did a smoke test via the Intake System and found low pressure leak at the TB to IC coupler(which is a common issue for my generation). So I will need to fix that in the near future.
    I seem to recall reading that some 3rd gen folks did something along the lines of removing the coupler, and just clamping the hose directly to the IC nice and tight.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by kprugbyplaya View Post
    **UPDATE**

Just as Mattypants predicted, the overboosting was caused by my faulty stock BCS.

I took the car into RT tuning to diagnose the overboost condition.

The WGA was tested with air pressure. Actuator appeared to move freely, but it is rubbing on my turbo blanket, but full range of motion was correct. I may have to move the blanket a little, so it does not cause rubbing. Stock boost pill remains intact. Stock BCS is installed correctly

So, in order to be safe they disabled my BCS and directly ran the manifold pressure to the internal wastegate actuator. They tested my car with this setup and boost was at 9 psi through full RPM range, as it should be. This basically means that it is my BCS, since my actuator is working perfectly.

All the vacuum lines are zip tied to prevent blow offs and the turbo nipple is capped to prevent leakage.

Now, to find a working stock BCS. Anyone have one?
    You could also think about going aftermarket. GrimmSpeed's EBCS is supposedly really good and It's only $119.99 before taxes.
    Electronic Boost Control Solenoid 3-Port - Subaru - GrimmSpeed

I have no idea how much a stock BCS is but I could imagine it's not too far off from those numbers GrimmSpeed has. I've also heard that the stock BCS is not the greatest. It may be a good opportunity to upgrade.
    2011 WRB WRX Sedan - Q300, Invidia Catted Downpipe, Cobb RAM Intake w/Box, Protuned buy TiC
    Stink-Eye Mob #696
    Build Thread
    Facebook
    @billym14

I've got a stock BCS. It came off my 02 though.
    The GM BCS is around $30 and gives good results. You'll need to be handy with a soldering iron though.

Edit:
    Looks like mine won't fit. This might though SOLENOID VALVE for SUBARU |16102AA380
    Last edited by pete25r; 01-10-2014 at 11:05 AM.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

So major update to my thread.

I officially sold my car today.
    But will be getting the 2015 DGM WRX, soon! So until then, I will be driving around a pedo van as a daily, i mean a cargo van.

The wait...will now be....brutal.
    \_(ツ)_/
    2011+ Big Mod Thread

most kids just get the munchies on 4/20. kunal sells his car. newb.

didn't even let me drive it again thats alright as long as i can whip the 15'!!

oh and you still better come to VM and my meat on may 10th.. idc if in the pedovan or get a ride lol
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I'm hear for the free candy.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Quote Originally Posted by pete25r View Post
    I'm hear for the free candy.
    here*

y u disappoint me?!?!
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.