Variable Geometry Turbo Discussion

This is a discussion on Variable Geometry Turbo Discussion within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am currently attending WyoTech and naturally there are a bunch of diesel students that mainly just drive around and ...

Variable Geometry Turbo Discussion

I am currently attending WyoTech and naturally there are a bunch of diesel students that mainly just drive around and smoke out intersections. However, while attending this school I have learned a lot from the diesel kids about their intake systems and more specifically their turbo setups with a variable vain turbine in the exhaust housing. I was wondering if there was some turbo like that on a newer model Powerstroke or Duramax but that was smaller and more compatible on a Subaru or any 4 cylinder for that matter. I was wondering if anyone had done this, and if so what kind of control module did you use. Any input or discussion would be cool.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    The difficulty lies in the fact that our gas engines produce much higher exhaust gas temperatures than diesel. The materials used in these variable geometry diesel turbos do not hold up well when subjected to the operating temperatures of a turbo charged gas application.

HOWEVER, Porsche uses variable geometry turbos on the 911 GT2 RS with impressive results to say the least. I would venture to guess that the materials used in those turbos come at a considerable cost. It would be nice to have an aftermarket variable geometry turbo option for gas engines, but I'm afraid it would be out of most people's price range. .probably why no one is selling them, that I know of.

Thanks for the reply. Do you know if Porsche engineered these turbos themselves, and if so did the integrate the control module into the PCM? This is just out of curiosity.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Not off the top of my head.. good questions. Google probably has answers.