Rambo Goes Down Under
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Rambo Goes Down Under within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Most of you know I had a bugeye. I loved that car, but it was sadly lost in an accident ...

I Support ClubWRX

Rambo Goes Down Under

Most of you know I had a bugeye. I loved that car, but it was sadly lost in an accident earlier this summer. Several weeks later, I bought a 2007 Outback 3.0R wagon. The small dimensions of the bugeye sedan were holding me back from bringing building materials home for my house (lumber, etc). The wagon is far more spacious, and better accommodates my house projects. It's the LL Bean Edition, so it has two-tone leather interior, power heated seats, navigation, etc. The 3.0L H6 has a stout 250hp, and makes the Outback deceptively quick. Going from a Stage II bugeye to the Outback was relatively similar, power-wise.

Currently, I only have a couple mod plans, but we'll see how long that lasts.
    Future Mods:
    *Tint
    *Audio Processor and sub installation
    *Catback of some sort
    *Possible 5eat Throttle Body Upgrade
    *Dream plan: Forced Induction via supercharger. (Once upon a time, Cobb was actually going to make an H6 supercharger kit, lol). While that hasn't panned out, there are H6 S/C applications from Australia...

Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    While you're down there...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

needs moar lift
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ampliified View Post
    needs moar lift
    Eh, it's enough. If anything, I'd like it lowered to LGT height. My initial plan was to find an LGT wagon, but clean, low-mileage examples of those are pretty much impossible to find in my area, and I was under a deadline to find a replacement.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    Lez be honest. That is a sweet car, I don't care who you are.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    First mod: The factory iPod interface kit!

Starting in 2007, the Legacy stereo (sourced from Clarion) was available with XM Radio. Instead of that, you could substitute iPod connectivity using the same controls (but removing the XM functionality). The kit contained a small interface box, all required hardware, some patch cabling, and instructions.

Removing a Legacy/Outback stereo isn't as easy as the Impreza/Forester. You have to remove the faux wood trimming, the shifter trim, and a ton of little clips. It sucks:

Further complicating things, the automatic climate controls and stereo are melded onto the same circuit boards:

This makes an aftermarket stereo setup pretty much impossible without tremendous expense. Even with the pricy JDM panel swap, the trim colors don't match, and the DIN unit looks very out of place compared to the rest of the dash. I don't want to hear any whining from WRX owners about stereo swaps, lol. You have it easy.

Anyway, the ipod kit is pretty easy to install: just remove the stereo, bolt in the interface box, plug in the cabling, run the ipod cable into the armrest cubby, and that's it. Unfortunately, the controls aren't intuitive at all. Playlists aren't organized the same way as the ipod, navigation is pretty tricky, and the whole business is just way more difficult that it needs to be. Thankfully, I usually only have one playlist for the car, so once I'm in that, it's easy enough to just let that play. On the plus side, the steering wheel buttons can control the ipod too, which is pretty impressive for a 2007 factory deck.

All Legacy's in 2007 had six speakers and the same Clarion deck, regardless of trim level. While better than the factory Impreza sound system by a long shot, it's not great. Since an aftermarket deck isn't practical, I'll be looking at post-HU audio processors like ****'s JBL MS-8. I'm also looking for a subwoofer system, but might end up with a custom trunk installation similar to what Audio Integrations offers for Imprezas. The Outback has two large cubbies on each side of the trunk perfect for a sub install, but it will require custom fabrication.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

nice upgrade! sorry it took a totaled wrex to get to, but looks great none the less. boo on the intagrated ac/hazard/stereo. kinda kills even a pricey head unit upgrade but the ipod fix is cool. glad you found a way to work around the block of meh. i wonder if the hvac circut is seperated on the inside of the stereo housing. you know, something that can be removed for later custom of a uber head unit, while keeping the cool. kind of like the guy that fabed a set of guages into his hvac control switch erea and mover the controls.....down, i think. cant remember how he did it, it was on nasioc i think on a bug eye.

wait...looking closer it playes mp3? thats alotta music on one cheap cd, let alone 6 if its a changer. cool enough! ahh what the heck. just money right lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    ^Talk to yourself much?

Heh depends on which one of me is asking.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar

I Support ClubWRX
    Looks very posh congrats.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    wait...looking closer it playes mp3? thats alotta music on one cheap cd, let alone 6 if its a changer. cool enough! ahh what the heck. just money right lol
    Yes, It has AM/FM, a 6-CD changer, an AUX input, and now full iPod control; all from the factory deck. The CD changer isn't worth much to me, but hey, it's there. While it plays burned CDs just fine, the song information won't display (it just says Track 1, 2, etc). The iPod control of course shows the song/album/artist/playlist/etc names.

As far as relocating the HVAC controls on a bugeye, sure, that would be fairly easy as all the dials and buttons are either potentiometers with electrical leads out, or cable actuators. The vent dial for example just pulls a bicycle brake type cable to swing the various ductwork dampers into each setting. As long as you have enough slack in the cables and wiring, it doesn't really matter where the control box is.

I don't think i can separate out mine since the HVAC control ports are right in line with the audio output ports, meaning they share circuit boards. That level of hacking isn't worth my time when I could get a sound processor and be done with it.

The next item on the list is window tint. My friend is the in-house detailer for the local Ferrari dealer, and referred me to where they send all their exotics for tint work.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    So surfing around the interwebs I discovered pretty much exactly the mod path I'd like shoot for with the Outback: Subaru Legacy Forums - View Single Post - Official Lowered Outback Thread

His is a tad lower than I'd like. I'm looking for LGT ride height, possibly with Spec B spring/struts. After the new springs/struts, I'll evaluate swaybars, but I might get Kartboy endlinks all around regardless, just for grins.

The exhuast will probably be from Nameless, with a custom Magnaflow setup as a back up option.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Looks good!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Do it!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast