Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well, she's back! After far too long of a wait, I have my baby back Turns out, the place my ...

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Well, she's back! After far too long of a wait, I have my baby back Turns out, the place my body shop ordered the parts from made the mistake and forgot to send a few parts, causing the long wait. The insurance company is also not cooperating properly, but at least I have my Subie again!

While she was getting her suspension/wheel fixed, my new wheels (O.Z Formula HLT in goldt, 17x8 +48), tires (Nitto Neo Gen 225/45/17), painted sideskirts, and foglight covers came in! I am waiting on hub centric rings and the centre lock look hubcaps to complete my wheel setup.

The foglight covers were a PITA to install, and I still don't have them done properly. The only two bolts on each side I needed to come out clean in order to reuse for the brackets broke off and are still stuck. Luckily, I used some Saskatchewan redneck ingenuity and rigged up some zipties to substitute for the bolts. they actually hold the whole assembly on pretty tightly. The sideskirts were impossible to install by myself, so I got my trusty father to help out and hold them while I attached the clips. I would recommend having two people to install sideskirts for anyone about to try!

In all, I learned a great but expensive lesson from all of this and am ecstatic to have my car back and looking better than ever. Next up is Stage 2!
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

A family friend's CTS-V and my Subie. I even got the drive the V and have to say, it's a bit better than my Subaru

The only cars at my high school. We stick together and avoid the trucks when possible.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Glad to see your car back in action man!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

I had another setback, albeit a minor one. I went to go stage 2 but quickly realized my aftermarket catback uses a doughnut gasket, and thus won't bolt onto my 3 inch Invidia dp. I am going to jack the car up this weekend and look to see if the catback uses a 2.5" midpipe, in which case I can just order a Grimmspeed adapter. It may even be a stock midpipe and aftermarket axel-back, all I know is that the previous owner told me it was a full catback. Likely should have looked into that before getting the dp, but oh well.

Another solution would be to just get the Invidia N1 catback I originally wanted, but that money needs to be set aside for other things. Updates to follow!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quick way to tell is to look for heat shields and a cat on the midpipe or weather or not it's polished stainless.

I didn't know the midpipe had a catalytic converter...? Thought it was just the downpipe that had 2 cats, the uppipe had 1, and the stock midpipe had a resonator? Doesn't a cat-back go from the dp-back?

I am also thinking I may just have an aftermarket axle-back with a stock midpipe which is causing the issues.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yes, i mistyped, it's a resonator.

If there's a trapezoidal shaped thing in the pipe with the words "Subaru" stamped on it, if it has heat shields bolted to it, and nothing is polished, and it's 2.5 inch diameter pipe, and connects to the downpipe with a donut gasket and spring sleeved bolts. 99% It's the stock mid-pipe
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 09-22-2013 at 02:09 PM.

Just wondering if my pictures show up? I have been having issues posting them lately, and when I was on a friend's computer, none of my recent ones on this thread show up. I need to have pictures so my thread is somewhat interesting.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    I see pictures.

Car looks great btw.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Thank you!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

STAGE 2 Update: My cat back turned out to be 2.5", so i ordered a Grimmspeed 2.5-3" adapter and bolted it all up. Only one turbo-downpipe bolt sheered which was a pleasant surprise, and hacking my heat shield wasn't as difficult as I had anticipated either. After reflashing Cobb's OTS Stage 2 map, i must say I am very pleased! It has more power everywhere in the powerband and throttle response seems sharper. Plus my car sounds even more throaty and it even gets a bit raspy at high RPM which I am loving so far! All in all, I am extremely pleased!

Tips for others going Stage 2:
    - Use a Grimmspeed 2x Thickness gasket as it seals up the exhaust very nicely.
    -Order a set of Downpipe-Catback bolts if they aren't already included, and a set of turbo-downpipe bolts (WRX OEM Downpipe-->Turbo nuts and bolts - NASIOC) in case you sheer them off.
    - Use the pictures posted here (How to: Cut you stock turbo heat shield to fit bell mouth DP - Subaru Impreza WRX STI Forums: IWSTI.com) so you know where to cut the heat shield if you go that route.
    - Make sure your downpipe is the same diameter as your catback before you order parts! Remember that you can use a Grimmspeed adapter for 3" downpipes mating to stock or 2.5" catbacks.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Here are a few pics with my Rally Armor UR mudflaps on and headlights painted. She was making friends in Calgary

A really nice shot of my car with my friend catching some air on his new 250cc bike

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    those red mudflaps are an eyesore. love the new wheels though lol

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxtreme06 View Post
    those red mudflaps are an eyesore. love the new wheels though lol
    Oh yeah, I agree with you there Dez. Car was smooth and clean until those things got on it.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I figured I'd get some negative opinions on the mudflaps, but hey, to each their own! I love the wheels and figured I'd give the flaps a shot. They're different and I have grown to like them! Makes me stand out even more in a town where I am one of 3 WRX/STi drivers (who are all in my school and all bought their after I bought mine! They say copying is the best form of flattery ) I guess haha

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast