Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Shoopster (Edit: come to think of it though, the AWD must affect this somehow...) AWD affects in ...

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    (Edit: come to think of it though, the AWD must affect this somehow...)
    AWD affects in that it is even more counter-intuitive. If you are slipping/losing control/etc often with AWD you want to actually hit the gas and keep that pedal down, trusting that the additional grip will gain you traction and start the car going in the direction you are pointing the wheel.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    AWD affects in that it is even more counter-intuitive. If you are slipping/losing control/etc often with AWD you want to actually hit the gas and keep that pedal down, trusting that the additional grip will gain you traction and start the car going in the direction you are pointing the wheel.
    Yep. especially in dirt and gravel you steer with the throttle and brake. This was the hardest thing to learn initially when rally crossing.

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    Some great advice here! I had been practicing on open gravel lots prior to the accident and was starting to get the hang of some basic car control. My parents were against me buying a car like my WRX to learn driving on, but I couldn't settle for anything else once I set my sights on one. I have lots of learning to do, but at least I know how quickly things can get out of control. I will certainly think more than twice before going anywhere past the speed limit in the future. I realize now that braking was likely the worst thing to do in that situation, and I will be practicing these driving dynamics once she's all fixed up (nowhere near a curb or object that can be hit of course ).
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    I had been practicing on open gravel lots
    gravel road will ****-up your paint!

I realize now that braking was likely the worst thing to do in that situation
    not the worst thing, just the worst moment

how sharp a turn was it? like a 90 intersection?
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    how sharp a turn was it? like a 90 intersection?
    It wasn't an intersection, but was at 90. And my car's paint is so poor already that I'm not too concerned about gravel.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    You get a damage report yet?
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Yeah, total cost of parts alone was $1550.00 so I put it through insurance. I am currently waiting on my claim to go through so the shop can get started on fixing. There are tons of stupid rules in Sask that I have to follow so it's a hell of a process. On the bright side, I have my downpipe and new wheels waiting to be installed, so when she's up and running again, I will also have other new parts to enjoy!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Dang, you broke that car good lol.

Pics of the new wheels?

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    Dang, you broke that car good lol.

Pics of the new wheels?
    Yeah all the lateral links as well as the wheel hub were bent and in need of replacement. As for the wheel pic, I'll save it for when they're on the car

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

In this thread OP finds out he is indeed not Ken Block.

Haha, just kidding man. Hope to see the car all fixed up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by BoostBandit View Post
    In this thread OP finds out he is indeed not Ken Block.
    Meh, I'd rather be Loeb anyways

Update: Suspension parts should be in this week, tires should be in next week, and sideskirts and foglight covers have just been ordered!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Another Update: Parts were in last Thursday, and the shop hasn't gotten around to doing anything yet. They claim they're 'busy' but they seem to be putting mine off (that has been sitting for a month) and doing the bigger jobs instead. And to make it better, their head mechanic is now sick in the hospital!

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with my petty car problem considering the guy that should be fixing it is quite sick. But I still want my Subie back!

The shop told me they would hopefully get to it this week. I'm skeptical.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Another Update: Parts were in last Thursday, and the shop hasn't gotten around to doing anything yet. They claim they're 'busy' but they seem to be putting mine off (that has been sitting for a month) and doing the bigger jobs instead. And to make it better, their head mechanic is now sick in the hospital!

I guess I shouldn't be too concerned with my petty car problem considering the guy that should be fixing it is quite sick. But I still want my Subie back!

The shop told me they would hopefully get to it this week. I'm skeptical.
    I would politely tell them if they are too busy then you can take your money else where. That usually does the trick lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    I would politely tell them if they are too busy then you can take your money else where. That usually does the trick lol

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    You are not by any means tied to that ahop, don't allow the shop to place your repairs on the back burner.

You have your head on strait! Glad to see someone of your generation making the best of a bad situation. I also appreciate the dedication you have in repairing your mishaps and seem to be doing this with limited funding - I assume it is because its based on your own money and not a trust fund. Also another perk. If I won the litter I would buy this kid professional driving lessons!

Keep on keeping on! Stay safe and enjoy!

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    You are not by any means tied to that ahop, don't allow the shop to place your repairs on the back burner.

You have your head on strait! Glad to see someone of your generation making the best of a bad situation. I also appreciate the dedication you have in repairing your mishaps and seem to be doing this with limited funding - I assume it is because its based on your own money and not a trust fund. Also another perk. If I won the litter I would buy this kid professional driving lessons!

Keep on keeping on! Stay safe and enjoy!
    Sadly, I am tied t this shop. They have my parts and I don't want to get it towed to another shop 3 blocks away. Also, the insurance claim has gone through and the adjuster has already been to the shop to get the monetary side set up. However, I am confident it shouldn't take too long anyways.

Yes, I earn every dollar I spend on my Subie by working part time! I have saved for a while and now it's time to stop spending on the car, and start saving for school! Eek!

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast