Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

This is a discussion on Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Typical Teenage Rex Build within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by BoostBandit I feel ya on the work part. Minimum wage + school sucks! Im 16 as well ...

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostBandit View Post
    I feel ya on the work part. Minimum wage + school sucks! Im 16 as well and am waiting on a nice wrx to snag.

Sent from a Galaxy Note II brick
    ...Just wait until you hit college.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User Subaru-Mopar-Luv's Avatar
    My thread is fairly boring at the moment, so I thought I'd give it an update by posting this picture I took not too long ago. My car on the left, my dad's 1966 Charger on the right. More updates will be coming soon! I have more planned, but I want to get a feel for my car first so I can appreciate the upgrades.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130609_173847_resized_1.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	114801
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Those Morettes look familiar...

Handed down through the clubdub family. I have an STI intercooler for sale that's been from Drews to Zax to Rambo to ?????
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Welcome good luck!
    2012 DGM WRX - Stage Two 93 - Stink Eye Mob #908
    The Epic Life of Emily the WRX

Quote Originally Posted by Subaru-Mopar-Luv View Post
    I have more planned, but I want to get a feel for my car first so I can appreciate the upgrades.
    great idea. i call next in line for those Morettes :P
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

UPDATE:

My parts came in the mail! I got my Invidia Catless bellmouth Downpipe, Cobb Accessport, Cobb SF Intake, gaskets, and my Bugeye Mafia sticker (thanks Rambo!)! The intake installation took longer than expected, so I didn't get a chance to apply my sticker. (I had to leave to help a friend and his grandfather take apart the jet turbine from his jet car, which you can read about here: About ) The accessport installation went quite smoothly and I am very pleased with the outcome of the intake and it's louder whooshing and psshhht noises. Removing the snorkel was a pain in the bottom, though. After flashing Stage 1+, I can confirm everything everyone said about the powerband being smoothed, and a noticable increase in power. It's awesome.

With these parts installed, I went for a quick mud adventure before dark. Here's the proof:
    https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...54760410_n.jpg

Needless to say, I am loving having a Subaru right now. Unfortunately, I checked my oil today (I checked it before I went on holidays to Canmore, AB and it was doing ok, last oil change was 2 weeks ago) and it dropped an entire liter. I can occasionally smell a burnt oil type of smell, but only after driving for a little while. My guess is that there is a leak from a gasket somewhere and it's dripping onto the exhaust manifold, causing the smell. Updates are to follow.
    Speed never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you. -Jeremy Clarkson

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

Bad news. I had a wake up call yesterday when I went for a cruise with a friend in my freshly Stage 1 Subie. I took a mild turn at a mild speed (40 kph) and started to experience understeer. I braked a bit and then hit a patch of loose gravel. It went from understeer to wicked oversteer in a split second, and I quickly realized I am NOT anywhere near experienced enough to handle a situation like that. I lost control and skidded into the start of a curb at opposite side of the corner. The only part of my car that contacted the curb was my right rear wheel, and it wasn't pretty. I knew immediately how bad it was, and the pictures speak for themselves.

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I knew I would have a scary incident with my WRX, and sure enough here it came. I don't believe I was being wild or out of control, but I did put myself, a close friend, and my poor Subaru in a situation that was clearly too dangerous. It's an expensive lesson, but one that I had to learn sooner or later. I'm just glad nobody was hurt and it wasn't worse.

I'm unsure of the damage, but after close inspection, it appears the strut is blown, and most of the right rear suspension is bent, needing replacement. The car was undriveable as the wheel barely turned, and I didn't dare attempt to drive it to a nearby shop as the differential would suffer. I have insurance and will likely have to send it in as an accident claim as the cost of damage will soar above the $750 deductible. The good news is that I already had wheels and tires on the way, so all I will be waiting on is suspension parts.

Bugeye Mafia Member #419

I Support ClubWRX
    Damn dude, glad no one was injured at least.

Don't beat yourself up, it has happened to everyone at some point. Learn your lesson and keep on trucking!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Tough lesson to learn, but glad you're all ok. Cars can be fixed.

It could be lighting, but it looks to me like the lateral link mount on the subframe is torque clockwise. Of course, the lateral links themselves, the drag link, and obviously the wheel will have significant damage. The good news is that all of those aside from the brackets are bolt-on components, meaning less labor time compared to bodywork and paint.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX

Nobody - but nobody - is going to say "I told you so" Glad you're ok!
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post

Nobody - but nobody - is going to say "I told you so" Glad you're ok!
    I was waiting on that lol. It looks the teenagers here have some pretty solid heads. The 15 year old who took people's advice and and now Mopar-Luv taking responsibility and being cool. You guys are more mature than I was just a few years ago. Time to search the junkyards and get to work...again Glad you and your friend are okay, now quit driving on loose gravel at such high speed just kidding.

" I quickly realized I am NOT anywhere near experienced enough to handle a situation like that. "

most important is ya learned from it and youre alright. get her fixed and good to have more experiences. also as long as the morettes are ok, the car is replaceable.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    That sucks man, but I'm glad you're ok! Like Shoop said, we're here for you and no one will say anything detrimental.

I would get on a skid pad or open parking lot when that is fixed, buy two buckets of gravel, and practice car control. Won't be great for your car, obviously, but you will get invaluable experience in maintaining skids and slides. Or if there's a skidpad or driving facility near you, check that out as well. Will help in the future. Glad you're taking it positively and can't wait to see the fixes you do.

You're a welcome addition here and thanks for being an incredibly mature and great person.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

Glad everyone is ok!

To aid with the learning aspect: from your description it sounds like besides the gravel you may have also upset the balance and vehicle dynamics by braking while in a turn. When you are in a turn any input of force will change where the weight of the car is distributed, that's why hitting the throttle or brakes can change how the car is taking the turn. If you hit the brakes relatively hard it is a sudden shift of weight which could certainly have contributed to losing control. It goes against instinct, which makes it tough, because if you're feeling like the car is going out of control the instinct is to hit the brakes. Sometimes that can exacerbate the situation though. Pro drivers learn to use this to their advantage, modulating throttle and brakes to manipulate the weight distribution the way they want it.

Of course, not having been there I'm just guessing based on your account, but it's useful information even if I'm misunderstanding how your accident happened.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    from your description it sounds like besides the gravel you may have also upset the balance and vehicle dynamics by braking while in a turn
    ^ this. My boyfriend races stock-car, and so every highway on/off ramp is (a practice-racing opportunity for him and) a learning experience for me. He loves to speed up in the curve, and I love to keep up

He has explained this to me before, that braking is only as you approach the curve, but once you're in the curve, braking can cause you to fishtail, because while the front of the car is slowing down, the back of the car is still going fast and wants to come around to the front (I'm not sure I'm explaining it as well as he does ). So when you feel like the back of the car is losing control, the thing to do is hit the gas (counter-intuitive...), to keep the front going faster than the rear... And the hard part is also keeping your eyes on & pointing the wheel in the direction you want the car to go, because in panic mode we tend look where the car wants to go.

Personally, I like to practice taking the outside/longer line on the curved ramps at higher speeds, following the painted line along the outside of the curve, when there are no other cars around : learning the point at which to slow down, and the point at which to accelerate.

When I'm in traffic, I'll practice the shortest line since I'm going slow anyway. I think of it like T'ai Chi. Practice slowly, correctly and perfectly, and when you need to whip out the kung-fu, your technique will be spot-on.

(Edit: come to think of it though, the AWD must affect this somehow...)
    Last edited by Shoopster; 08-09-2013 at 10:13 AM.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast