Status
Not open for further replies.

2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread

100K views 381 replies 33 participants last post by  RayfieldsWRX 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi all!
WRB 2004 Impreza WRX 2.0L - Stage 2
Conservative tune at 16psi , +/- 230 HP
I like that it doesn't look like a girl's car - ok, except for the E-4AT lol don't hate - and plan to keep it that way.

12 July 2015
Just over 2 years since I bought the Shoopster and started this build thread! :eek3:

Before the Shoopster, I knew next to nothing about cars, let alone WRX. The Shoop came with a Turbosmart BOV (that kept getting stuck), some garden-hose setup in lieu of the oil vapor tubes across the intercooler, an AEM air intake in the fender (that I worried about flooding in the smallest puddles), a busted up-pipe, and a fart-can stuffed with shredded fiberglass with a silencer. I gradually returned it to somewhat stock and we're finally onto some real mods at #21 below. The Shoop is not so stock anymore :wiggles:

Shoopster's public photo album

I take pics every time I park next to another Subie :thumbup:
Shoopster's Fb page

Mods
- Stock airbox with intake 'speaker-mod'
- ZeroSports after-MAF pipe & silicone tubes
- Okada Projects plasma coils
- Grimmspeed up-pipe
- PTP turbo blanket
- Cobb turbo heat shield (stainless)
- Invidia downpipe + Grimmspeed adapter flange
- AEM Uego WB02 sensor, A:F gauge
- Borla Hush twin tips, 3" catback
- stock/OEM '02 bypass valve
- GReddy magnetic oil-drain plug
- Cobb oil cap (WRB)
- ZeroSports hoodscoop splitter + rad shroud
- V8 STi strut bar
- Grimmspeed hood struts
- radiator from a jdm STi (repair/replacement)
- Autometer Cobalt triple pod pillar (boost / oil pressure / water temp)
- Wheels:
-> front Brembos
-> FireHawk 15mm spacers
-> Summer: DAI Revo 17" Gloss Black, blue lug nuts (tires 225/45R17)
-> Winter: gold STi V7's, blue lugs (Nokian Hakka 8 205/50R17)
- JDM limited edition STi nose: Hood, scoop, bumper, big fogs
- Badgeless aftermarket grill
- STi HID headlights, black-housed; PIAA bulbs (score!)
- Subtle license plate delete
- Rally Armor mud flaps
- Stock horns painted gold
- Tinted rear windows
- Debadged rear & plasti-dipped Subaru lettering
- Sticker-bombed passenger's side mirror
- Alpine double-din touch screen
- Ortiz Custom Pods central-air-vent delete gauge-pod
- The Shoopster runs on 94 octane (avg 21 mpg), Lucas Oil 10W40 every 5k km (3100 miles), and has 289,500 km on the clock ( ~180k miles)

Here's a general menu, in case you want to skip the BS'ing (err, I mean experienced advice and witty banter):

1. Up-pipe, brake discs, inner fender (front-left) & Up-pipe again, #25
2. All-weather floor mats
3. Headlights polish
4. License plate delete Plasti-dip (here too) and installation; bumper clips
5. Painting front grill and stock horns; stock horns finished
6. Bewbs
7. Radiator belts, oil pressure switch, timing belt et als. (the latter discussion starts here), and engine wash.
8. A few blue touches: LEDs above the license plate, and COBB oil cap. The 3-gauge pod pillar and AEM air intake came with the car.
9. Sideskirts black plastic, restoration
10. Stock '02 catback scrubdown: Purchased a used OEM because I'm considering replacing the fart-can that came with the car
11. Roof rust removal and paint, and an overall compound/buff.
11a. Pref-buff photo-op here, and post-buff here.
12. Winter wheels acquired
13. The Chapter In Which We Finally Have Boost!
14. Vent replacement center of dash
15. Rear badge plasti-dipped black
16. Installed Rally Armor mudflaps ('Classic', black logo)
17. Fixed the heater (refer also to #14 above)
18. Fixed the blow-off valve (see also #13 above)
19. Shhhoopster loses the fart-can and the AEM air intake (stock air intake mod)
20. Blue lugs, sticker-bomb, the Shoopster takes a hit, and STi HID's
21. Invidia downpipe installed 2 Apr 2014, and a temporary WTF tune
22. Compression & Leakdown tests; Borla Hush twin-tips catback installed; adios BOV!
23. Brembos installation and everything that can go wrong.
24. Fender rolling and Brembo-clearing V7's for the winter
25. Up-pipe again
26. ZeroSports scoop splitter
27. Blinker fluid or, water in my STI HID's.
28. Busted bumper buildup: JDM nose didn't fit, painting the winter bumper.
29. 2BEWBS 280085 kms
30. STi jdm Special Edition nose
31. P0457 Major Evap P0457 solved! Gas smell at fuel-up, and winter gas-smell
32. Maintenance and upgrades Okada Projects plasma coils, JDM U-frame, Zero Sports stainless rad shroud, quarter-panel rust/touch-up
33. AEM UEGO WB02 gauge & central air-vent-delete pod
34...Next update:
- tuned! locally by Walter Turgeon
- misfire cylinder #3, new sparks
- Grimmspeed hood struts
- anti-rattle mechanisms
- bottom grill in the new bumper
- busted radiator & Shoop's first tow, Zero Sports hoses
- ZeroSports after-MAF, STi strut bar
- the Shoop takes another hit (rear bumper scratch)

To-do List
- prestone o-ring gaskets under intake
- TGV delete
- install rear Brembos
- install Mishimoto coolant expansion tank
- install ZeroSports damper pulley
- paint rear bumper + deal with cancerous cells in quarter panels

Wishlist
- JDM cluster for automatic with gear display (shift-tronic steering wheel, transmission, TCU)
- Subtle dead-pedal
- stainless gas/brake pedals

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Job 1. New up-pipe.
We ordered an eBay jobber, but it turns out it's a good pipe, not one of those nightmare-mesh-interior ones that shred.
Either end of the pipe was a little warped, it needed to be grinded and leveled for a perfect seal.
And we pulled out this piece of shrapnel still attached inside to the sensor bung.
(Lesson here: feel around the inside just to be sure it's smooth.)
Lastly, we plugged/soldered the bung and leveled the nub that remained on the inside.

New up-pipe

We wrapped it (then read not to over-wrap it, and) unwrapped it, re-wrapped the non-flex sections per advice (then read that wrapping only one piece can over-heat that piece and the adjoining parts) and unwrapped it again.

Shrapnel picked off the inside, gadzooks! god save my turbo.

Up-pipe gasket, not a perfect fit, the holes needed to be adjusted/widened

Here is the old, busted up-pipe (stock).

The torch marks are from opening it, we had to see what was going on inside. Old up-pipe was cracked clean in two.

and the mess inside it

Sensor bung inside the new UP before & after, leveled/smoothed to reduce turbulence

We also did the electronic fix since the EGT sensor is removed (details here). These cost a whopping $1 for 5.

---> Interesting side-story to (and likely cause of) the cracked up-pipe, and I had this terrible throttle lag, took forEVER to take off. About a week after changing the up-pipe, we noticed this awful sound coming from the exhaust (it was embarassing, even). My muffler was stuffed with shredded fiber-glass and I don't think they did it right. We pulled out three foot-ball sized bunches of what looked like the kind of stuff you pack Easter baskets with. The pressure build-up in the exhaust is probably what split my stock up-pipe inside its steel casing. We removed the stuffing, the lag was instantly gone and the Shoopster now takes off like a Shoopster should. Oh and the b-e-a-utiful sound my car makes now Ah yes and the BOV also then made its BBppllllthptptptpt sound heard for the first time since I bought the car.

Good thing we also ordered a downpipe gasket, just in case, mine was cracked.

Downpipe is stock.

I bought the Shoop for only $7k. I think the used-car dealer knew the up-pipe was a problem (which we had found on inspection), and that there was a serious throttle lag. He didn't know about the stuffing until we pointed it out though, and I'm sure he was surprised when we told him the lag is fixed hahaa!

Job 2. New front brake discs (I think we call them discs in French. Rotors in English?)
These were a Shoopster-warming gift from my boyfriend :)

Caliper is unimpressed.

I apparently don't have a decent pic of them installed.

Job 3. Inner fender, front-left (in French we call this a "false-wing", fausse aile)

I've no idea how this came to be busted. There are scratch marks under the bumper too, I think one of the prev owners must've run up on a side-walk or one of those parking-concrete blocks.

The part we ordered didn't fit properly, so we've re-ordered it (received) and Job 3 is still on the to-do list.

NEXT/upcoming jobs

4. Timing belt & water pump (and accessories) purchased here. I know y'all aren't crazy about eBay stuff in general, but boyfriend-mechanic is really happy with the quality of the items received, he said it's the same they use at the garage (and shipping was faster than light). Dude's got over 100,000 transactions and 100% satisfied reviews.

5. Turbo heat-shield to be replaced ( ;) at MWF)

6. And the waste-gate actuator is corroded. Waiting on a used turbo hopefully...
Can't really see it too well with the shield on, sorry

And here are some random shots of the engine bay and exhaust.
Don't laugh at my garden-hose attachments, they came with. When I can afford to replace those, they're on the list.
The exhaust seems to be a mix of stock/not. As for the rest, I'm finding out as I go.
I don't know enough to recognize stock from not, so please feel free to let me know what I've got goin' on here....

xoxo

#3 · (Edited)
Update: Goodies arrived today :wiggles:
Could have probably found better prices, but buying from a single seller saves me $hipping

Turbo blanket
PTP Turbo Blankets Turbo Blanket Blue Subaru Models (inc. 2002-2013 WRX / STI) FPRO35-009-005 at RallySportDirect.com

Greddy magnetic oil-drain plug
Greddy Magdrain Magnetic Oil Drain Plug M20 x 1.5 Subaru / STI Rear Diff 2008-2013 13901303 at RallySportDirect.com

And my license plate delete from Subtle Solutions.

(it is SO perfectly perfect i'm gonna have to install it with suede gloves on)

Subaru 2002-07 Impreza OEM all-season floor-mat Review
The driver's side floormat fits nicely, that's what counts.

The rear mats are much smaller than the carpets, but since there are no kids to stomp mud or cheerios all over them, they'll do nicely. Nobody puts their feet under the front seats anyway.

The passenger-side floormat is much smaller than the carpet though, about 3" less coverage above and below, which is unfortunate. Another case of bad planning.

Stay tuned for more exciting stuff.

Edit: Update in Post #30

#4 ·
there's always something.

can't install the drain plug til next oil change
can't install the plate delete without removing the bumper.
gotta get backing clips for the screws, and
if i'm going to remove the bumper,
need the (correct) clips to put it back on again,
and might as well do something about the peeling paint on my horn(s)

#15 ·
[...]
can't install the plate delete without removing the bumper.
gotta get backing clips for the screws, and
if i'm going to remove the bumper,
need the (correct) clips to put it back on again,
and might as well do something about the peeling paint on my horn(s)
Hoping to get this done this weekend.
- Ordered Subaru WRB touch-up pen and all bumper clips to replace the tie-wraps holding up my front bumper.
- will replace the oil pressure switch, mine has a leak.
- will install the LF inner fender, and
- we're also tackling the timing belt job, water pump and everything that goes with.

Also hoping a friend of mine will (find the time to) show me how to sandblast my windshield-wiper arms and my horns
- picked up some satin-black spray paint for the the wipers, and
- gold for the (stock) horns but I'm still undecided as to that. I think it would be subtle behind the grill. Thing is, there's no other gold anywhere (yet. Maybe my future winters wheels, we'll see.)
- I don't know if I should paint the grill black too, or leave it bare metal as it is. I think black would look better over the gold horns and overall.
Opinions welcome. There's a decent pic of the grill and horns (presently faded, peeling metallic red) above, in my headlights-cleaning post.

While I'm waiting, I Plasti-dipped the license delete last night so that it doesn't get permanently messed up with chips and bug squish like my bumper.

Here's a few pix of the process:

Box-top for a work surface. On the back of the delete, I used a couple of rubber stoppers (formerly from my step-ladder's feet) with some tape to both raise the surface of the delete, so it doesn't stick to the box, and to pick it up if needed without messing up the edges or finish.

Supports are placed strategically so that they don't interfere with the Plasti-dip that may leak/wrap/dry around the delete's edges. No point in dipping the back of it though.

About half an hour between each coat, sprayed it once from each direction to make sure I got all the nooks a crannies, and then a 5th coat for OCD's sake.

The finished product

The screws that go with it are also painted black, but I'm not going to Dip those, because the screwdriver will wreck it anyway, it'd be impossible to preserve. The delete's finish is thus more matte than the screws (but who cares, at least they won't be silver). There's a pre-Dip pic of the delete in post #2 above.

#11 ·
Cold, rainy day. I tackled the headlights under the carport after watching a couple videos.

I used Meguiar's PlastX on a dry shammy, and a terry cloth to buff/wipe it away.

My old headlights aren't in great shape, a little peely in places, there's only so much I can do for them
(new ones are around $250++ :tisk: so, not on the priority-shortlist for now).

Still, I'm pleased with how they turned out, better than I expected (because I expected to scr*w up somehow)
Took about 15 minutes, the taping prep took longer than the job itself.

Then I rinsed this morning's layer of pollen dust off the Shoop and did bf's beat-up Echo's lights too because why not.

Only so much I could do for those too. I didn't have to tape it though because he doesn't give a crop about it anyway.
Toothpaste works too (on the Echo anyway lol I sure didn't try it on the Shoop)
but it didn't come out as shiny and I re-did it with the PlastX anyway.

#12 ·
i just used a 3M headlight kit that i got at a local parts store. requires a hand drill and a squirt bottle of light soapy water. both my brother in law's and my wrx wagons now have mega shiny lights. its kinda scarry at first, sandpaper on clear plastic but the end result is fantastic. patience is key and dont freak out after first stage.(i had to get another beverage...) takes about a hour for both. well worth it, my brothers looked like clear paper shoping bags. very yellow and nasty. now bright and shiny!

#14 ·
Well I wasn't saying get a new turbo. Source a used one for $100-150 or so! Same price!
#6 on the To-do list: Used wastegate actuator (and turbo) acquired locally! Thanks for the advice Mikie13!

For those wondering, a new wastegate actuator costs about $135 +tx + shipping.
Used turbo cost less and now I have a spare just in case; it's in good shape, very little play.
And mine is missing the little C-clip too (I just learned) so now I have that too.

#17 ·
How about stainless steel Allen head or bolt for contrast on the delete kit? Or...with the hex bolt you could get those snap on covers and paint to match/dip to personal taste?

#22 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback y'all!

The delete has these grooves around the holes for the screw, like a dip, for a diamond-shaped head. It's a nice idea but I don't think it would sit properly in the grooves. (We used stainless steel bolts and washers for my license plate though, in back)

get the Gates kit that comes with the replacement pullys. when they replaced my belt and waterpump at the dealer they didnt. one pully failed and i almost punched valves into pistions on the left bank. only the outer pully riding on the bolt saven my engine. it was the pully right next to the water pump. the kit is expensive, sorry. but it is cheap insurance compared to a overhaul IMO. or i am sure the pullys can be had individually. [...] sounded like my engine threw a rod. lucky me i was coasting into my house. anyhoo, my two cheap copper coinage.
Yep! Got it all, thanks! There's a link in my 1st post (job #4) to where I got the whole kit, and a great price apparently for everything... And since we got it all, I was like, "and now we'll have all the old parts for spares!" -- I'm a quick study, eh? -- but no, because if ever we need one of those spares, it'll mean opening it all up again, and if we'd have a reason to open it all up again, might as well change all the parts (insert appropriate meme here)... Actually, come to think of it, it's the water pump that needs to be changed, 'cause the timing belt looks like it's been done at some point. And so but while we're at it...

Car is really coming along nicely! Great work.
Nice to see the progress! I say paint the grill.
Thanks! Nice to hear (read) I think the long posts give that impression ;)
Progress is slow though. There are only very few things I can do myself, and even then I'm working at a 'learning-and-I-hope-I-don't-mess-this-up" pace. Nice of you to say so, though :D

As for the the grill, I'm leaning towards black too. It'll be the lean, mean, shoopster machine.

my front plate delete is a year old and no dents from giant bugs or hitting hookers yet.
Yah, um.. when someone asks if you'd hit that, that's not what they mean :D
My front bumper is a disaster. I think we have bigger bugs here or something. Plus I live in the countryside, lots of gravelly roads.
If my first road-trip (WBM) damages it, I'd lose my mind. It'd be like buying a new stainless steel fridge with a scratch on it, it'd drive me bonkers.

Glad I could help! :D Nice find!
Me too! Aaand seriously, it is a nice one!
BF explained to me what to look for, what it should or shouldn't do. So glad I didn't **** that up.
He got a kick out of telling his co-workers (also mechanics) that his "girlfriend went out and bought a turbo today". :cool:

#21 ·
aah sorry! i didnt see the part about the timing belt! a somewhat expensive add to that job. get the Gates kit that comes with the replacement pullys. when they replaced my belt and waterpump at the dealer they didnt. one pully failed and i almost punched valves into pistions on the left bank. only the outer pully riding on the bolt saven my engine. it was the pully right next to the water pump. the kit is expensive, sorry. but it is cheap insurance compared to a overhaul IMO. or i am sure the pullys can be had individually. uum....lets see View attachment 114290

ya this. sounded like my engine threw a rod. lucky me i was coasting into my house. anyhoo, my two cheap copper coinage.

#24 · (Edited)
#5 on the To-Do list will be completed soon! Steph knows, butt-poop happened. I'm sending it this week :)

The car is really coming along though!

:thumbup: :wave:

#26 ·
proceeding on schedule...

More goodies!

All teh bumper clips! For my tie-wrap-toting friends, FYI that's
8x CLIP BMPR, 4x CLIP 10x15, and 2x scrivet

And that itty bitty little thing? that's the WRB touch up pen.
They either underestimate the need, or over-estimate their paint's performance.

And that other little purple thing next to it, is a milk-bag clip, just for size reference.
Oh but milk doesn't come in bags in the US, does it? Well, that should mess with you a little, then.

#27 ·
+1 on replacing the timing belt idlers and tensioners. To be honest, I'd do those now even if the belt was done by the previous owner if you aren't SURE they were replaced too. A lot of people skip that step when doing the timing belt... from what I hear, the idlers are usually good to about 150k or so and so aren't included in a lot of "normal" timing belt changes.

I had heard about this but was on the fence about changing mine or not (the previous owners were very conscientious and had replaced the belt on time, but I wasn't sure if they had done the idlers or not) when one of the idlers seized on me briefly. Made a very bad noise and a very bad smell for a second or two... opened everything up to find a massive hole in my timing belt, I still can't believe it didn't snap. Probably would have been the end of the engine :eek:

#30 ·
So, I'd like to update on the floormat situation and report on a very decent customer follow-up experience.

As some of you may recall, in chapter 3 of our story, our heroine expressed some dissatisfaction with the coverage, or lack thereof, provided by the passenger-side OEM rubber floormat.

Long story short, RallySportDirect contacted me and double-checked that I'd received the right ones, and checked the measurements with Subaru as well. To make up for it, RSD offered me a credit worth half the retail price - which I did not expect and much appreciated - and asked me to post my review on their product with a picture, because it was indeed accurate.

(I really didn't mean to make a big deal out of it - I didn't even consider returning them - but there wasn't a single negative review on the product, nothing whatsoever about the major difference in size. How could I be the only one. That irritated me more than the discrepancy itself.)

IN OTHER good news, following a crushing majority vote of two (including yours truly), the grill is painted black. Easy peasy ;)

Screws! That's it?? I was ready to put tape everywhere.

Good thing that didn't turn into a big production like some people :rolleyes:
We also removed the horns, didn't need to remove the bumper for that.

Peely and mucky and gross. It would probably be easier to get new ones. But ain't it always.

Cleaned up with brake & parts cleaner, but the paint's gotta go. That'll be next.

#31 · (Edited)
the force of the turbine is strong with this one! pay her my respects, i do. :cool:

finally got the link to your belt kit plus. wow, thats a job! but my waterpump was undamaged so i lucked out and didnt have to remove or even break into the cooling system. trade for my weekend job replacing bushings(all...) on the rear diff and lateral links?

#33 ·
the force of the turbine is strong with this one! pay her my respects, i do. :cool:
thank you! :cool: best. compliment. ever. :)
and while I'm at it, I love your avatar because yes, rex constantly needs washing.

finally got the link to your belt kit plus. wow, thats a job! but my waterpump was undamaged so i lucked out and didnt have to remove or even break into the cooling system. trade for my weekend job replacing bushings(all...) on the rear diff and lateral links?
not on yer life! it took too long to coordinate all these parts!

throw some hellas on there instead of repainting stock horns. stock horns are good .22 targets haha *banjos start to play*
but I like my "meep!" :)
anyway I don't think Hellas come in gold, I'd have to sandblast and repaint them anyway. my mind is set.

#36 · (Edited)
$80+paint vs. free+paint? hmmm lemmethinkaboudit... nope.

plus I like my meep! just the way it is. Says "WTF are you doing moron??!?" plenty.

As for pink - real men aren't afraid of pink ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.