I should probably have named this Shoopster's n00bster build
Before owning this car, I knew next to nothing about cars, let alone WRX.
So, don't expect the mad build like some of the fantastic ones in this forum - at least not for a couple years yet
I'll edit/update this first post every now and then too.
If you're new to WRX, you'll find a lot of first-things-you-should-do and what-can-go-wrongs.
If you're a pro and really know your ****, you might have a good laugh or two, and hopefully you can point me in the right direction while you're at it.
Either way, welcome.
24 Apr 2014
WOW! One year since I bought the Shoopster and started this build thread!
We're finally onto some real mods at #21 below, and the Shoop is not so stock anymore
Thanks for tagging along !
I acquired the Shoopster 16 April 2013. It was a good day.
2004 Impreza WRX, World Rally Blue - 2.0 L - Electronic 4-speed Automatic Transmission (E-4AT) Don't hate.
I like that it doesn't look like a girl's car and plan to keep it that way.
- Stock airbox with intake 'speaker-mod'
- Grimmspeed up-pipe
- PTP turbo blanket
- Cobb turbo heat shield (stainless)
- Invidia downpipe + Grimmspeed adapter flange
- Borla Hush twin tips, 3" catback
- stock/OEM '02 bypass valve
- Cobb oil cap (WRB)
- Zero Sport hood splitter
- 3-Gauge pod pillar (boost / oil pressure / water temp)
- Brembos (13 May 2014) with FireHawk 15mm spacers (I know. It's temporary.)
-> Summer: DAI Revo 17" Gloss Black, blue lug nuts (tires 225/45R17)
-> Winter: gold STi V7's, blue lugs
- Debadged front w/aftermarket grill
- STi HID headlights, black-housed
- Subtle license plate delete
- Rally Armor mud flaps
- Stock horns painted gold
- Tinted rear windows
- Debadged rear & plasti-dipped Subaru badge
- GReddy magnetic oil-drain plug
- Sticker-bombed passenger's side mirror
- The Shoopster runs on 94 octane (average 21 mpg), and Lucas Oil 10W40 every 5000 km (3100 miles), and has 260,000 km on the clock ( >150k miles)
Here's a link to my photo album FYI, and a selection follows in the following posts
Shoopster's public album
I also take pictures every time I park next to another Subie
Here's a general menu, in case you want to skip the BS'ing (err, I mean experienced advice and witty banter):
1. Up-pipe, brake discs, inner fender (front-left) & Up-pipe again, #25
2. All-weather floor mats
3. Headlights polish
4. License plate delete Plasti-dip (here too) and installation; bumper clips
5. Painting front grill and stock horns; stock horns finished
7. Radiator belts, oil pressure switch, timing belt et als. (the latter discussion starts here), and engine wash.
8. A few blue touches: LEDs above the license plate, and COBB oil cap. The 3-gauge pod pillar and AEM air intake came with the car.
9. Sideskirts black plastic, restoration
10. Stock '02 catback scrubdown: Purchased a used OEM because I'm considering replacing the fart-can that came with the car
11. Roof rust removal and paint, and an overall compound/buff.
11a. Pref-buff photo-op here, and post-buff here.
12. Winter wheels acquired
13. The Chapter In Which We Finally Have Boost!
14. Vent replacement center of dash
15. Rear badge plasti-dipped black
16. Installed Rally Armor mudflaps ('Classic', black logo)
17. Fixed the heater (refer also to #14 above)
18. Fixed the blow-off valve (see also #13 above)
19. Shhhoopster loses the fart-can and the AEM air intake (stock air intake mod)
20. Blue lugs, sticker-bomb, the Shoopster takes a hit, and STi HID's
21. Invidia downpipe installed 2 Apr 2014, and a temporary WTF tune
22. Compression & Leakdown tests; Borla Hush twin-tips catback installed; and the BOV is outta there!
23. Brembos installation and everything that could go wrong.
24. Fender rolling and Brembo-clearing V7's for the winter
25. Up-pipe again
26. Zero Sport hood splitter
27. Tears in Shoopster's eye or, water in my STI HID's.
28. Busted bumper buildup: JDM nose didn't fit, painting the winter bumper.
25... Next update: installed!
- STi jdm ltd Edition fog lights (the big ones!), bumper, hood
- WB02 + AEM uego A:F gauge
- major evap P0457 solved!
- Okada Projects plasma coils
- Tuned! locally by Walter Turgeon
- replace rusted U-frame & legit bumper beam (purchased)
- replace prestone o-ring gaskets under intake (purchased)
- gas line recall (kit purchased)
- TGV delete
- install rear Brembos (when WRX OEM ones wear out)
- JDM cluster for automatic with gear display
- Zero Sport rad shroud to match splitter
- zax's hood shocks
- Subtle dead-pedal
- stainless gas/brake pedals
- front lip
- rear spats