2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Ruh Roh get hellas, ya know u want em....look how good that blue goes with gold!^ now ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    get hellas, ya know u want em....look how good that blue goes with gold!^

now look at that pic again and think how those beautiful things sound! ^

i dont know anyone going to WBM...soooo i can checkout shipping charges to moose country if u want so just pm me
    You don't know anyone going to WBM?? That's a lot of people not going. That's unfortunate.

If you want to check the shipping costs that would be cool, pm'd you. But it means getting closer to the cost of new and that's a consideration.
    Also, I don't need a new catback right now, but if the price is right I won't turn down a good deal...

As for the Hellas, I hear y'all. I do. I'ma spell it out for ya though.
    Teh Shoopster broke the bank. Any further goodies will have to be functional, not aesthetic. Til we're back in the black.

(but if someone has some used Hellas for a decent price, bring 'em to WBM.
    'cause a girl reserves the right to change her mind )
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    fixored

this?
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

That is neither functional nor aesthetic.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Yes it was subie mods for painted hellas and yes exactly what I was looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Cheapest? All Hellas are red by default. The only place that sells them in other colors is subimods. Do a clear coat when you finish painting. I didn't & mine are now chipping. Plus if you're not sure what color you like, you can always plasti dip.
    Aha! I AM sure
    Gold paint, clear pasti-dip. I'm on it!

Thanks for the advice re. the clear coat though, pretty sure Previous Owner skipped that step.
    Last edited by Shoopster; 05-30-2013 at 11:36 AM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    free though

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    free though
    Oh...there's a price for viewing that...
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    ha! i thought you were referring to the horns. when i said free, i definitely was

Update: Work In Progress.
    We opened 'er up, and there was a timebomb goin' on in there, all the pulley markers were misaligned.
    More news soon
    xoxo
    Last edited by Shoopster; 05-31-2013 at 07:01 PM.

I believe that's normal after new belt install. Anybody else? Its only been since December but i remember reading something along those lines when I replaced mine. Although I haven't been back under the covers to check. Maybe it was SD-GR's write up were I read that. Can't remember, my Tim Horton's worn off

Warrrgg! Things you can't unsee! Ahhmyeyes!

found one of the ones i used.(there were a few) this one is by section9 and stickied under maintenance troubleshooting and repair.
    Timing Belt and Water Pump Replacement
    Last edited by tirerob; 05-31-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: reloading

fastplymouth

Woohoo!
    Great tutorial! Everything went off without a hitch after about 10 hrs of working on it (we got stuck on the plugs for the electric fans - they are the pull-up tab type BTW). It's also a real pain to get the belt around the right-hand cam sprockets when you start from the crank and work your way counter-clockwise but it's not impossible (2-man job).

If you want to save yourself some time you can get the cam locking tool from a reseller and sell it thru eBay when you're done.

Also those right-hand sprockets WILL spin after you pull the old belt off. Don't be too worried (try to make sure only one spins ). When it happened to us we stared wide-eyed at each other for a few minutes and smoked about half a pack of cigs while going through the engine diagrams in the shop manual before deciding we didn't frag the valvetrain

Thanks again - the walkthroughs on this forum are invaluable. It's nice to have a shop manual but it's GREAT to have a photo record of how things came apart/go back together while you're doing the job!
    Reply Reply With Quote Report Post To Moderator
    01-12-2010 05:21 PM #70
    fastplymouth

One other thing...
    One thing to note - once we got the new belt and water pump on and made sure the timing marks were in the correct places we spun the crank a good many times just to make sure we didn't jump time. Note that the marks on the belt will no longer line up as they did when you installed! You didn't do anything wrong (so long as the cams and crank still end up aligned).

its like post 69 and 70. id like somebody else to double check me but im sure this is right. measure twice and all. oh, and i wasnt sure how to link this so sorry cut and paste. my computer skillz are as bad as my spelling lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    I believe that's normal after new belt install.
    Nope, what I meant was, whoever did the last job before my ownership, really botched the job.

Timing markers on the pulleys are supposed to line up. At every two turns of the crank, the markers come back to the same place.
    (What doesn't line up, after install, once it's gone around, is the markers on the belt.)

The belt was slack, pulleys were grinding and all messed up, and it's a good thing we got this done now. The Shoop was headed for all sorts of ****ed up.

I think the throttle lag issue has finally been solved. Engine sounds completely different (again.)

Pix tomorrow.
    xo
    Last edited by Shoopster; 06-01-2013 at 12:02 AM.

that is great!! enjoy the smooth spooling of a happy motor, i am glad you got to it before the pin came out of that grenade! mine was the same. totally different motor after new(tight) belt n'parts. i think i felt better than the motor did when it fired up on the first crank and didnt sound like a busted valve or bent rod. congrats!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    that is great!! enjoy the smooth spooling of a happy motor, i am glad you got to it before the pin came out of that grenade! mine was the same. totally different motor after new(tight) belt n'parts. i think i felt better than the motor did when it fired up on the first crank and didnt sound like a busted valve or bent rod. congrats!

I LOVE MY CAR!!!

Ok, detailed update comin' up!

I Support ClubWRX
    Radiator belts were in poor shape, little cracks all over the place

At first, Boyfriend-Mechanic (hereafter BF) tried to do the job without removing the radiator, because he's done it before. And, because every extra thing that needs to be disassembled comes with the extra risk of another thing breaking or being stuck or both. He's got this tool he fabricated too, looks like a long arm with two bolts soldered to the the end of it, and he usually uses this to do timing belt jobs without removing the rad. But the crank pulley was royally stuck, even with an extra pair of hands helping (not mine.). Finally it took a really small and really powerful impact to get it

Here we see the Shoop's oil pressure switch, all blackened from a leak.

So, removing the rad. Two collars around the hoses at the bottom broke, PITA #1: extra half-hour.

PITA #2 one of bolts securing the radiator/chassis bracket also broke. He was able to remove the brackets and the radiator, and so but the a/c compressor stayed in place for the duration of the job. He was finally able to drill through and remove the stuck bolt at the end of the evening. Tack on another extra half-hour. Plus extra PITA factor for having to work in a tight space.

I cleaned the timing belt covers this isn't my good side

Here's the new oil pressure switch (before engine wash)

Ok this is where it gets interesting. The following are pix of the old timing belt and the pulleys and their markers.
    Sorry if some of the pix are fuzzy, it was a tight fit.

Cr*p in the tensioner, and notice how the top of its pin has been worn down, it has a groove.
    This is what the thing shouldn't look like.

Below, old/used vs. new. Notice how the blue one is all dirty, and the outside of it is marked and worn from the belt sliding over it, which its not supposed to do. In other words, the belt was turning and the pulley probably wasn't. Not properly anyway.

old, old next to new, new

Thermostat housing

same piece, after a bit of grinding/polishing

Old water pump below. On its left (your left) is the thermostat, which we (he) forgot to order. Luckily it was in very good condition, and the timing-belt-kit we ordered came with the gasket for it. Following that, pix of the new water pump (before installing the thermostat piece).

For a hot minute, the cleanest part of my engine bay.

warshed

This is what BF uses for engine wash

New parts being installed

I washed the radiator fans too, with the same stuff

And here are some pix with the pulleys (and new belt) lining up properly.

Mechanic's trade secret: plastic surfaces can be polished with parts lubricant.

Shoopster's first engine wash (+busted bolt removed/replaced)

Started this job at 3pm, finished around 1am.
    During clean-up / smoke break, BF said to me, "You remember a point when I was really upset and swearing?"
    Which of course begged the answer, "What? You? Nah."
    He said, "I didn't want to tell you this earlier, because I didn't want you to worry. But for a minute there, I thought we were going to lose the Shoopster. I really thought you were going to need a new engine."

Ok, so the lessons here:
    1. Don't just replace the timing belt. If you're going to go to the trouble of opening it up, replace everything involved.
    2. Anti-seize on every bolt, every time.

In other happy news, the Shoopster made the 220,000km mark today (136k miles)
    Also, the needle on my boost gauge now passes the zero, went up to 10 this morning (this was at 140k/hr or 86mph).
    The throttle lag on take-off is g-g-GONE!

And here's Mechanic Smurf.
    Last edited by Shoopster; 06-03-2013 at 08:54 PM. Reason: it's never done.

wow!

So...you're only boosting to 10psi still...you're still below target boost.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning