2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread - Page 24
Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 141516171819202122232425 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey with all the usual shoopster's luck how is the tune coming? Are you off the safety map yet?...

Hey with all the usual shoopster's luck how is the tune coming? Are you off the safety map yet?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    The shoop does look good though.
    Thanks Livid! I do like the widened stance, the tires are (I can't believe I'm using this word to describe the Shoop) flush with the square fenders. I like it. I will never, ever lower it though.

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Looks faster with the trailer mod. (JK!!!). Looks good with the big n brembo.
    Fuunny! I assure you, it was much, much slower. Even with the Brembos, the trailer pushed me at a couple stop signs (new experience).
    I couldn't wait for the day to be over; when the trailer came off, I was like "I'm FREE, FREE at LAST!"

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    Hey with all the usual shoopster's luck how is the tune coming? Are you off the safety map yet?
    Nope, still in Wastegate Limbo. The brakes were urgent.
    - Uppipe gaskets need to be replaced
    - P0442 small evap leak; everyone says it's probably the gas-tank filler neck. Waiting for a friend to have time to smoke-test it.
    - Two small leaks, prestone gaskets (o-rings) beneath the intake (big job for a very small leak...)
    Looks like it's gonna be a while...
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

them trailer wheels...

I had a lot of exhaust leaks when I first bought my bugeye. Fix one find another. It sucks but more than worth fixing them in the end.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Holy hell steph! Yea I dread the intake off job. So many stories about not getting all the air out and bad follows. I had a 0442 code quite a while ago. Found it by accident trying to fix leaky fuel lines under the turbo inlet. There was a broken vacuum line on a emmisions silonoid right behind the altranator. Fixed (and holding) with some fancy plastic glue.
    I agree with you on the wheels. I've been back and fourth on lowering and (hahahah nnnnoooo) flush mounted wheels. Its cool but the savings(whatever that is) is being reserved for finishing the exhaust and a mattattack on my ECU. Even if I don't downpipe I've enough done to warrenty a wtf tune to correct it lol. Hope you can beat those little problems out and get in a hole week of super dependable no breakdown no problem shoop driving so you can finish up that tune!
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Yep. Every time the To-Do List gets shorter, it seems to get longer.

Thanks Zach. And Justin. And Vin. and Andre.
    Mikie, sorry, ya kyant hav 'em!

I'll be glad when you do get rid of dem mad tyte JDM fugly rimz though.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

what is the offset on those big black wheels? if its stock offset of like +48 id run the spacers until you can get wheels then still run a 30 or higher offset. flush is good. mine are like +35 and i love how they sit. youll be fine, your wheel bearings arent going to kill themselves in a mile nor will your wheels fall off.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    what is the offset on those big black wheels? if its stock offset of like +48 id run the spacers until you can get wheels then still run a 30 or higher offset. flush is good. mine are like +35 and i love how they sit. youll be fine, your wheel bearings arent going to kill themselves in a mile nor will your wheels fall off.
    Go back to the LVSE.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

I'll be glad when you do get rid of dem mad tyte JDM fugly rimz though.
    Those rims are nice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by livid_wrx View Post
    Those rims are nice.
    Thanks Livid! I like 'em too
    The spacer situation isn't ideal, granted, but I've a whole other set of hubs & bearings if & when

UPDATE on the wheels setup

I had the fenders rolled in because omg the scraping on turns! If a passenger was in the backseat they had to sit in the middle
    My fenders were all rippled and jagged (?) so I it needed to be done anyway.

BEFORE

AFTER

Aaaand, I found a local guy looking to trade his Brembo-clearing V7's for my V5's, so it looks like we'll be rolling goldies for the winter again! ...and losing the spacers

Last edited by Shoopster; 07-08-2014 at 08:24 AM. Reason: major updates. I've been a bad chronicler.
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE! 1 year later, up-pipe again...

First job when I bought the Shoop was the up-pipe - it was my first post in my build thread. We knew that the gaskets were garbage and that they wouldn't last, but at 1am you used what you have. Here's what cheapo gaskets look like after a year. All the leaks.

The eBay no-name up-pipe itself, also lasted a year; the inside sheathing is broken.

So, lesson learned and after much research and debating, I picked up a Grimmspeed flex uppipe through Matty @ WTF Tuning

The flex section's location is largely similar to where the OEM one is placed.
    Next to it, the eBay special.

The hardware that comes with it quality stuff. The gaskets are even better than the OEM ones: thicker, with a more substantial ring around the inside than the OEM

This cancerous piece of heatshield was cut away from the vicinity (headers, I think)

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE!! Zero Sport stainless steel hood splitter

Some 3m tape to keep it from rubbing against the hood & scratching the paint, and of course whenever possible, switching out old rusted screws for stainless.

Stock '04 WRX hood splitter

Zero Sport w/3M

BEFORE

AFTER

Gratuitous Shoopster pic

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE on the STi HID's

Driver's side headlight was out for a while, and there was a major humidity situation going on inside. (Would you believe) I found a local guy who sells HID's for $30? So, got a couple of 6000k - white with a barely blue-ish tone - and my headlight still wouldn't work.

But where is all this water coming from?

Next step then, must be the ballast. ...Just a lil' water, eh?

Here's a pic of all the water than poured out - had I even expected this, I would've video'd it, sorry, but it just kept pouring out... I guess a ballast holds quite a bit of water lol

When I bought this set of headlights last winter, we opened them to blackhouse mod. We had found the casing was cracked, and had to epoxy that.

Apparently that's where my infiltration was. But to find it, we took out all the bulbs, sealed it all up with tape (and hands), and blew compressed air into each of its compartments (which also dried the inside). Found the leak (bubbles in the white-ish glue, below) and sealed them (again) with gasket-maker (the orange stuff)

We dried everything out, the wires, the pin-clips, put the bulbs and new ballast back in... and still no light. Drove around for another week with a busted eye before finding time to remove the headlights again...

Good news this time though: we forgot to re-connect the ballast LOL I love an easy fix. Headlights are go.

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE on teh busted bumper situation

So, my bumper's been busted since Christmas morning when a Corolla landed on it on the Shoopster Launch Pad. (link to story.)

New (OEM) bumper is too expensive, with paint would cost about 500$. Plus my aluminum hood is dented too (another 500$). So for that price (approximately) I decided to get a JDM nose a couple months ago; I had found this black beauty with giant fogs - pretty rare on a sedan, eh? Yup. That's because it was a wagon nose and didn't fit.

Is that a beauty or what?

Too large... this is what i might've looked like if it had fit...

If you didn't know, the wagon bumper is a couple of inches larger than the sedan; to fit, you'd have to install the wagon fenders too - which is somewhat of a downgrade, body-wise.

So close, and yet, so far :sigh:

My pastry-flake bumper beam is gone, though. Replaced it with a JDM one temporarily (I know, I'd better not hit anything...)

I've already bought a used - proper, steel, also rusted but ok - bumper-beam that we'll install when my new nose arrives -- a Limited Edition WRX (sedan) nose with big fogs -- it'll probably need to be modified to fit the fogs & their bezels....

SAND & PAINT

Tired of the Shoopster looking busted, avoiding the big meets; quotes for fix & paint are too expensive (for a winter bumper that would just crack again), I decided to sand and spray-paint it myself with Grimmspeed WRB. Which, it turns out, is a surprisingly close match! I'd say only the texture/finish is different (duh) other than that it's spot-on...

I didn't bother with putty, and it took a whole day of sanding; painting took maybe 4 hours plus drying overnight.

First round of sanding (drove around with the bumper like this for a couple weeks...)

And my one-day intensive pictorial:

Leftover sticker-bomb behind the license plate delete, because I didn't have any gold left .
    Yep, that's Felix in the X.

And, my "finished" winter bumper - all told, 2-3 coats of primer (2 cans), 2 coats of WRB (2 cans, plenty left. Shoulda done a third.) 3 coats of clear (2 thin 1 med per instructions)

Da-da-DONE !

...For now.

Holy crap Steph! Been busy much? That's a hellova update!

Glad to see shoopster out of the blender and back on the road. Aah...you will love the up pipe. I've had mine in for a year plus and never a problem.
    Rob

Nice work! Damnit use the V7s as your daily wheels!! So much better.