2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread - Page 23
Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13141516171819202122232425 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by tirerob Sweet! Steph you said you need a wideband? I have a brand new uego that I'm ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob
    Sweet!

Steph you said you need a wideband? I have a brand new uego that I'm not going to be using for quite a while since my dp/ tune is a way off. Want me to send it up?
    That's up to her. She wants Autometer, but if she's down with a UEGO, that's probably a better buy.

I haven't researched the sensor that Autometer uses, and if it interfaces with Romraider (my main job has kept me from doing much). I know UEGO works...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Yup. I was going to do a stealth install since I was planning to tune, tune, tune and then when done( if mine runs that complex) uninstall the wideband sensor to keep it from toasting. Tuck the gauge away for retuning later if needed/wanted.

But I'm months away from that yet. Its just a paper weight right now. Sounds like somebody can use it right now more than me lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tirerob
    Yup. I was going to do a stealth install since I was planning to tune, tune, tune and then when done( if mine runs that complex) uninstall the wideband sensor to keep it from toasting. Tuck the gauge away for retuning later if needed/wanted.

But I'm months away from that yet. Its just a paper weight right now. Sounds like somebody can use it right now more than me lol
    If you're going to go through the effort of installing a sensor, have a gauge you can reference. It can notify you of things like a leak. Even with standalone OP2.0 logging, I'm an advocate for having a gauge you can look at.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post

Well if Steph doesn't want it...how much were you gonna charge? I'm kinda looking for one when I go Stage 2.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Steph, I've got a 3in TBE with ,I'm guessing, a Borla Hush catback. The downpipe is funky, has a cat welded in.

You'll like the Hush if you don't like it too loud but still want the shoop to sound serious.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

[Quote\] Thanks! I've had the Shoop for a year this week!
    oh hai you're new 'round here, welcome![/QUOTE]

That's awesome, yep I'm a newb! Haha thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow I've missed some notifications :/

The Autometer (Cobalt series) wideband 02 is a new product, hasn't been out long. I did write to them to make sure it's compatible with my car, but I've no idea if it's compatible with RomRaider... My current gauges are boost / water temp / oil pressure. I'm thinking of ditching the water temp and replacing it with the 02 in my triple-pod, since there's a temp gauge built-in the dash... Not a fan of All The Gauges look...

UPDATE!!

I purchased a used Borla Hush locally - from a guy who's buying an Invidia N1 because he wants ALL the loud lol. It's got a couple of dents in the underside but no leaks, installed it yesterday and it looks great and sounds just like a subie should: low RrrRrrRrrumble, not enough to attract cops but a low enough tone to set off my friend's car alarm. And to someone who doesn't know what they're looking for, it looks like the stock tips from far. I love it!!! This was one of the first things on my wish-list (first post) and I moved it to the Mod List today! I'll post pics & vids asap!

Also had tests done, and for a 250k km block, the Shoop is ship shape! Some numbers:
    Compression: cyl#2 152 psi; cyl#4 152; cyl#1 155; cyl#3 155
    Leakdown (high pressure) : #4 8% ; #2 10% ; #3 10% ; #1 8%

Finally, my TurboSmart Dualport blow-off valve had a huge leak, both at the intercooler-flange and within the bov itself, between the blue knob that turns (to make it softer or harder) and the same flange. The piston in the bov also got stuck at least twice in the last year - it was stuck when I bought it (and the former owner clearly tried to unstick it because it had lots of hammer marks) and again after the winter because all sorts of crap must've gotten in it. So we installed the bypass valve I bought off Zax... last year lol

I miss the "PSSH!"... I guess, much like a recovering addict misses drugs. You know it's not good for you, but you still want it. *sigh*

Next up, the (cheapo eBay) gaskets that came with my up-pipe last year are finito, but we didn't have time to do that yesterday. Small leak, not enough to affect boost, but you can hear a fine sssssss if you've got a trained ear (which I don't.) Long story short, they're made of paper-ish material and don't have a metal ring around the inside like the OEM gaskets, and the layers get split up by the heat. Yes, they work, but no they don't last long.

In other news, my right-front brakes jammed yesterday on the highway, that was interesting. Steering wheel started to shake (is it in my mind or is it getting worse) and then it started to shake a lot. Luckily there was some slowed/stopped traffic because the cops stopped some motorcycles; it gave me a change to pump the brakes (see what happens..) and weave the steering back and forth a little (like when racers warm up the tires?). When we slowed down I could feel the Sshhk - sshhhk - sshhhk of the brake, and then at some point it stopped. So. 'Brakes' and Gaskets make their way to the pole position on the to-do list, and 'new bumper' drops to 2nd place.

ROB! Thanks for the offer! But I do need to get my own and like Matty suggested, once it's on it's staying on
    Last edited by Shoopster; 04-26-2014 at 09:29 AM.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

hey no problem! the shoop is moving along greatly! i have a idea on brakes. earlier this winter i had a front brake problem like yours, only after the shake, i got mush. turns out i had a broken caliper, right where the slide pin mounts. as brakes are my primary job at work, i promptly freeked the f^%$ out. like this.

this most likely happened because of a frozen slide pin. brake pads tell the same story. ive never seen a caliper break like that before. hope you get lucky and can just unbolt the calipers and find the stick, fix it with some caliper grease! that'd be awesome.

damm that BoV you have been fighting that thing forever. i had a modded evo give me the pshhh at the gas station...i chuckled. car sounded and looked way modded. i like the recirc. you can still hear it inside if you know what to listen for! and lol for your friends car....its alarm went off because of fear of being eaten by a shoop-zilla!
    Last edited by tirerob; 04-27-2014 at 12:37 PM.
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    damm that BoV you have been fighting that thing forever. i had a modded evo give me the pshhh at the gas station...i chuckled. car sounded and looked way modded. i like the recirc. you can still hear it inside if you know what to listen for! and lol for your friends car....its alarm went off because of fear of being eaten by a shoop-zilla!
    My learned advice, for all future Googlers: Don't put a blow-off valve on an automatic. It doesn't "blow off" often enough and with a lack of use and the winter elements, it just got stuck all the time. On a manual it blows-off with nearly every gear shift. On the Shoop the only time it "worked" was at WOT in 3rd gear if I suddenly let off the gas. Which I can say only happens when some retard cuts me off while I'm accelerating.

hey no problem! the shoop is moving along greatly! i have a idea on brakes. earlier this winter i had a front brake problem like yours, only after the shake, i got mush. turns out i had a broken caliper, right where the slide pin mounts. [...] this most likely happened because of a frozen slide pin. brake pads tell the same story. ive never seen a caliper break like that before. hope you get lucky and can just unbolt the calipers and find the stick, fix it with some caliper grease! that'd be awesome.
    So the brakes. Where do I start. I've been driving around, what we thought was a busted passenger-front caliper. It was jammed, clamped down on my disc and (on top of my temporary WTF-limited-wastegate-map) was slowing me down. Lag like trying to wade through mud. Turned out the driver-front caliper was also jammed. When we removed the brake-discs, the calipers came with, had to pry them off :/ ... like cold, dead hands o_O

(Stock Caliper looks much happier than the first Brakes job last year, which didn't impress him at all.)

The difference in brake-disc size:

My 17" wheels are DAI Revo in gloss black, they came with the car when I bought it (I believe it's the least expensive model DAI makes, to give you some idea...). They are 17 x 7.5 / 5x100 / offset 42. We weren't sure they would clear the Brembos, but my friend's 42's used to clear them without a spacer (because of the spoke design) so we compared my friend's wheel with mine by mounting it on the Shoop, and measured that my spokes should have maybe 1/8" more clearance than his.

"Should have" lol . No, it didn't clear.

We tried a 3mm spacer, but two of my wheel spokes were touching / scraping the giant caliper - indicator that my wheel isn't straight.

My boyfriend decided to grind the offending area of the wheel (I'm nearly in tears at this point, on the verge of a freak-out), we don't have a plan B if they don't fit, and I'm watching him do a questionable job to my (admittedly inexpensive) wheels.

We considered mounting my friend's wheels temporarily, but one of them had a nail in the tire; no go.

Then his friend pulls out this box of Firehawk 15mm spacers that he had bought a couple months ago for his '02 STi. :
    I'm upset because I'd read that spacers are bad. No choice, at 10pm we are trying 'em or we're parked.

These spacers have ten alternating holes - 5 that fit onto the hub's original bolts (where the lugnuts would go) - and 5 with their own locked-bolts to fit the wheel/lugs.

Google says: One of the dangers of using spacers is that it reduces the amount of threading meant for the lug-nuts. While that is not the case with this particular model, spacers move the center of rotation out and away from the suspension, which can have all sorts of negative repercussions on handling. Also, the extra fitting = a potential weakness / mobility in the joint. All I can say is that this spacer business is hopefully a temporary situation until I can afford new wheels.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

We might have time to do the rear Brembos today. There's a little bit of squish in the brake pedal so we need to bleed 'em again; so, the 'stopping' power doesn't impress me yet, I really have to put the pedal to the floor to full-stop. But the lack of resistance caused by my former clamped calipers, that's nice.

Coming back to the wheel situation, my boyfriend's got a set of Enkeis for me for the winter, which DO clear the Brembos. So, this'll be my setup until September, when winter returns. In three and a half months.

All that being said, aesthetically, it looks great. All the Grrrrr !
    But, I feel like guilty, like a mom who has no choice but to feed her kid junk-food:
    - it's crap but there's nothing else available;
    - funds are limited; and
    - it's not good for them but the kids love it. :/

Pix to follow.
    Last edited by Shoopster; 05-13-2014 at 03:32 PM.
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah make sure you ditch those spacers ASAP. 15mm is excessive and will put quite a bit more wear on your wheel bearings and suspension.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    Yeah make sure you ditch those spacers ASAP. 15mm is excessive and will put quite a bit more wear on your wheel bearings and suspension.
    Yep. Every time the To-Do List gets shorter, it seems to get longer.

Thanks Zach. And Justin. And Vin. and Andre.
    Mikie, sorry, ya kyant hav 'em!

Wow. Yeah you've had a bit. Glad you had the resources to get the shoop running even with the spacers. They should be fine on your bearings for a few months. My main concern with them(and this is has only happened with the big, overloaded massive pickups I work on) is the spacer can crack. But I've never seen one fail. Its just a liability for the shop so we can't work on them. But its got the shoop some massive new stopping power when finished up. That'll be sweet!
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    ^ yep, can't say the Shoop sees any track time either... we kept the original hubs in front so I have an extra set.

and taking it real easy today.... at

Looks faster with the trailer mod. (JK!!!). Looks good with the big n brembo.
    Rob

The shoop does look good though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk