2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread - Page 2
Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Car is really coming along nicely! Great work....

Car is really coming along nicely! Great work.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

How about stainless steel Allen head or bolt for contrast on the delete kit? Or...with the hex bolt you could get those snap on covers and paint to match/dip to personal taste?

Nice to see the progress!

I say paint the grill.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

my front plate delete is a year old and no dents from giant bugs or hitting hookers yet.
    Marky Mark
    2002 Stage 2.3 PSM Bugeye tuned by Matty at WTFtuning
    Bugeye Mafia #397, High Mileage Club, WTF Tuning Intern
    My bugeye build
    MinoskePhotography
    First Mods and other useful info!
    GM EBCS/ Hallman MBC Hybrid boost setup diagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    #6 on the To-do list: Used wastegate actuator (and turbo) acquired locally! Thanks for the advice Mikie13!

For those wondering, a new wastegate actuator costs about $135 +tx + shipping.
    Used turbo cost less and now I have a spare just in case; it's in good shape, very little play.
    And mine is missing the little C-clip too (I just learned) so now I have that too.
    Glad I could help!

Nice find!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

aah sorry! i didnt see the part about the timing belt! a somewhat expensive add to that job. get the Gates kit that comes with the replacement pullys. when they replaced my belt and waterpump at the dealer they didnt. one pully failed and i almost punched valves into pistions on the left bank. only the outer pully riding on the bolt saven my engine. it was the pully right next to the water pump. the kit is expensive, sorry. but it is cheap insurance compared to a overhaul IMO. or i am sure the pullys can be had individually. uum....lets see Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pully1.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	114290

ya this. sounded like my engine threw a rod. lucky me i was coasting into my house. anyhoo, my two cheap copper coinage.

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks for the feedback y'all!

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    How about stainless steel Allen head or bolt for contrast on the delete kit? Or...with the hex bolt you could get those snap on covers and paint to match/dip to personal taste?
    The delete has these grooves around the holes for the screw, like a dip, for a diamond-shaped head. It's a nice idea but I don't think it would sit properly in the grooves. (We used stainless steel bolts and washers for my license plate though, in back)

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    get the Gates kit that comes with the replacement pullys. when they replaced my belt and waterpump at the dealer they didnt. one pully failed and i almost punched valves into pistions on the left bank. only the outer pully riding on the bolt saven my engine. it was the pully right next to the water pump. the kit is expensive, sorry. but it is cheap insurance compared to a overhaul IMO. or i am sure the pullys can be had individually. [...] sounded like my engine threw a rod. lucky me i was coasting into my house. anyhoo, my two cheap copper coinage.
    Yep! Got it all, thanks! There's a link in my 1st post (job #4) to where I got the whole kit, and a great price apparently for everything... And since we got it all, I was like, "and now we'll have all the old parts for spares!" -- I'm a quick study, eh? -- but no, because if ever we need one of those spares, it'll mean opening it all up again, and if we'd have a reason to open it all up again, might as well change all the parts (insert appropriate meme here)... Actually, come to think of it, it's the water pump that needs to be changed, 'cause the timing belt looks like it's been done at some point. And so but while we're at it...

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Car is really coming along nicely! Great work.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calvinball View Post
    Nice to see the progress! I say paint the grill.
    Thanks! Nice to hear (read) I think the long posts give that impression
    Progress is slow though. There are only very few things I can do myself, and even then I'm working at a 'learning-and-I-hope-I-don't-mess-this-up" pace. Nice of you to say so, though

As for the the grill, I'm leaning towards black too. It'll be the lean, mean, shoopster machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruh Roh View Post
    my front plate delete is a year old and no dents from giant bugs or hitting hookers yet.
    Yah, um.. when someone asks if you'd hit that, that's not what they mean
    My front bumper is a disaster. I think we have bigger bugs here or something. Plus I live in the countryside, lots of gravelly roads.
    If my first road-trip (WBM) damages it, I'd lose my mind. It'd be like buying a new stainless steel fridge with a scratch on it, it'd drive me bonkers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Glad I could help! Nice find!
    Me too! Aaand seriously, it is a nice one!
    BF explained to me what to look for, what it should or shouldn't do. So glad I didn't **** that up.
    He got a kick out of telling his co-workers (also mechanics) that his "girlfriend went out and bought a turbo today".
    Last edited by Shoopster; 05-29-2013 at 02:41 PM.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    #5 on the To-Do list will be completed soon! Steph knows but, poop happened. I'm sending it this week

The car is really coming along though!
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelwfox View Post
    #5 on the To-Do list will be completed soon! Steph knows, butt-poop happened. I'm sending it this week

The car is really coming along though!

Last edited by Shoopster; 05-30-2013 at 05:20 AM. Reason: aaaand fixed. ;)
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

I Support ClubWRX
    and I'm on a distinguished road! yay!
    <-----a green dot!
    Last edited by Shoopster; 05-29-2013 at 06:35 PM. Reason: oooh wepuTAshun, wight... wight...

I Support ClubWRX

proceeding on schedule...

More goodies!

All teh bumper clips! For my tie-wrap-toting friends, FYI that's
    8x CLIP BMPR, 4x CLIP 10x15, and 2x scrivet

And that itty bitty little thing? that's the WRB touch up pen.
    They either underestimate the need, or over-estimate their paint's performance.

And that other little purple thing next to it, is a milk-bag clip, just for size reference.
    Oh but milk doesn't come in bags in the US, does it? Well, that should mess with you a little, then.

+1 on replacing the timing belt idlers and tensioners. To be honest, I'd do those now even if the belt was done by the previous owner if you aren't SURE they were replaced too. A lot of people skip that step when doing the timing belt... from what I hear, the idlers are usually good to about 150k or so and so aren't included in a lot of "normal" timing belt changes.

I had heard about this but was on the fence about changing mine or not (the previous owners were very conscientious and had replaced the belt on time, but I wasn't sure if they had done the idlers or not) when one of the idlers seized on me briefly. Made a very bad noise and a very bad smell for a second or two... opened everything up to find a massive hole in my timing belt, I still can't believe it didn't snap. Probably would have been the end of the engine

double post

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Monk_Knight View Post
    +1 on replacing the timing belt idlers and tensioners. To be honest, I'd do those now even if the belt was done by the previous owner if you aren't SURE they were replaced too. A lot of people skip that step when doing the timing belt... from what I hear, the idlers are usually good to about 150k or so and so aren't included in a lot of "normal" timing belt changes.

I had heard about this but was on the fence about changing mine or not (the previous owners were very conscientious and had replaced the belt on time, but I wasn't sure if they had done the idlers or not) when one of the idlers seized on me briefly. Made a very bad noise and a very bad smell for a second or two... opened everything up to find a massive hole in my timing belt, I still can't believe it didn't snap. Probably would have been the end of the engine
    Close call!!
    It's been my experience that if you remain undecided about a thing for too long, the decision may be made for you

I Support ClubWRX
    So, I'd like to update on the floormat situation and report on a very decent customer follow-up experience.

As some of you may recall, in chapter 3 of our story, our heroine expressed some dissatisfaction with the coverage, or lack thereof, provided by the passenger-side OEM rubber floormat.

Long story short, RallySportDirect contacted me and double-checked that I'd received the right ones, and checked the measurements with Subaru as well. To make up for it, RSD offered me a credit worth half the retail price - which I did not expect and much appreciated - and asked me to post my review on their product with a picture, because it was indeed accurate.

(I really didn't mean to make a big deal out of it - I didn't even consider returning them - but there wasn't a single negative review on the product, nothing whatsoever about the major difference in size. How could I be the only one. That irritated me more than the discrepancy itself.)

IN OTHER good news, following a crushing majority vote of two (including yours truly), the grill is painted black. Easy peasy

Screws! That's it?? I was ready to put tape everywhere.

Good thing that didn't turn into a big production like some people
    We also removed the horns, didn't need to remove the bumper for that.

Peely and mucky and gross. It would probably be easier to get new ones. But ain't it always.

Cleaned up with brake & parts cleaner, but the paint's gotta go. That'll be next.