2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread - Page 19
+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 910111213141516171819202122232425 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX - Shoopster's build (or rather, repair) thread within the Builds forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; UPDATE! A while back, we blanked/deleted the blow-off valve , one effort among many to nail down a boost issue. ...

I Support ClubWRX
    UPDATE!

A while back, we blanked/deleted the blow-off valve, one effort among many to nail down a boost issue.

You can hear what my BOV used to sound like in this video at approx the 11-12 seconds mark. Kind of a ppbblblblblbltt (whoopi-cushion-like) rather than a PPSHH!

We opened up the BOV this weekend: The piston inside was completely stuck. It took alll kinds of hammering and bashing to pry it out. Previous Owner (I'm assuming) put a couple of metal washers inside - to harden it, I guess? More resistance for the spring? - and these were not stainless, so they rusted. Here are some pix of what the inside of the blow-off valved looked like.

scratched, friction, oxidation

Marks on the base of the piston - someone had already taken a hammer to this thing before, to try to pry it out. This means Previous Owner (or the dealer) knew about this and left it there.

Here is our temporary solution to fit the oil-vapors pipes (across the intercooler) across the BOV's trumpet, until we have time to pass some tubes underneath it instead.

And now here's what my BOV sounds like (like it should) at 50/50 recirc
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

yeah! fixored some previous owner WTF.

I need to do some of that.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Yea that doesn't sound bad at all. Still boosting correctly I am assuming. How did that affect the drive? Better pull now that pssst is right and the recirculation is too?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Boost is still A-ok, still getting up to 14.5. No change to the drive, except that the turbo doesn't make that strange sound anymore when I release the pedal.

If I actually want to hear my BOV - keep in mind automatic transmission - I have to push it to 4000RPM and then release the throttle. Then I hear the correct PSH! sound.

But, usually, highway, I roll at a comfy 120km/hr in Drive, which usually hovers around the 2800 RPM mark. 4000RPM would put me at 140km/hr (90mph, 40km over the speed limit) or more, so it's not something I get to try often... All that to say, it's functioning properly but I'll rarely hear it...
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoopster View Post
    Boost is still A-ok, still getting up to 14.5. No change to the drive, except that the turbo doesn't make that strange sound anymore when I release the pedal.

If I actually want to hear my BOV - keep in mind automatic transmission - I have to push it to 4000RPM and then release the throttle. Then I hear the correct PSH! sound.

But, usually, highway, I roll at a comfy 120km/hr in Drive, which usually hovers around the 2800 RPM mark. 4000RPM would put me at 140km/hr (90mph, 40km over the speed limit) or more, so it's not something I get to try often... All that to say, it's functioning properly but I'll rarely hear it...

they have been warned. lol
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    ^

Time for an UPDATE! It's been a minute!

Got a lot of little things done, but unfortunately nothing that I can cross off the To-Do List...

- New filter on the cold air intake = notable difference in mileage per tank (400km on 38L, compared to 360km/40L before)

- Trying out a new motor oil, Lucas Oil 10W40. Seems to be running more smoothly, sounds like it anyway...

- Headlights: Blue halos have been moved to surround my daytime-running lights, so that we can still see them when full headlights are lit. Support rack behind driver's side headlights also fixed: the Shoopster had a droopy eyelid, one of the headlights had fallen inside and was pointing down to the ground

- Transmission fluid: 2 flushes completed, 2 more to go. The first flush, we drained 2 litres and added 3.5 Anyway a huuuuuge difference in my E-4AT shifts

- And finally, the check out the Shoop's new digs! Every time I leave, it's Open Shoopster-Bay Doors and countdown to Shoopster launch

Steph!

You've been quiet.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Steph!

You've been quiet.
    Hey Mikie!

I have! I've moved closer to the city, met a new man, and been swamped with work.

No time for idle hands nor the devil's work lately

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    In for pics of Steph's box.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    In for pics of Steph's box.
    That's not gonna happen, she's got no time for idle hands
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

does the shoop have new teeth n claws to go with that lion cave?

congrats on the move and all the new. glad to see you back! and i agree with the work thing. considering a life jacket.....blub blub
    Rob

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I LOL'd at that video and the shoopster launch. Ever dump the clutch out of there and go airborne?

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    I LOL'd at that video and the shoopster launch. Ever dump the clutch out of there and go airborne?

needs a bigger rear wing!!!!!

edit. this should do.

Rob

I Support ClubWRX
    not yet!

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    edit. this should do.
    I just might make it over that half-wall with that

I Support ClubWRX
    not yet!

Quote Originally Posted by tirerob View Post
    edit. this should do.
    I just might make it over that half-wall with that

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.